Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Spin-off Series: TORCHWOOD

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-09, 02:19 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Doctor Who Spin-off Series: TORCHWOOD

The episodes air in the U.S. on BBC America in 2 or 3 weeks. For once, we don't have to wait too long (or resort to ... other ... means) to catch up.
Old 07-07-09, 04:41 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First ep

Spoiler:
Some visual (and maybe audio) reminders of "Village of The Damned" and the Donald Sutherland version of "Invasion of the Bodysnatchers"
Entertaining so far. Some nice exposition of Captain Jack's amorality although I still don't agree with Russell Davies' apparent contention that one's sexuality must always be brought to the fore in day-to-day conversation.
Old 07-07-09, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

TORCHWOOD: Children of Earth
UK Ratings - Night 1
Linky: http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.php...AyVpVAJnECBfYv
7/7/09 - Torchwood: Children of Earth was watched by 5.9 million viewers, according to unofficial overnight figures. The programme was the 5th most watched programme of the day and the 2nd highest rated on BBC1, being beaten by the three main soaps. The programme won its timeslot with an audience share of 25.8%.

An additional 97,000 people watched the programme in HD on the BBC HD channel.

The BBC Three repeat at 2345 was watched by 214,000 viewers, a 3.9% share.
As a basis for comparison against Torchwood S2's ratings in the UK:
Linky: http://lifetheuniverseandcombom.blogspot.com/
Torchwood Children Of Earth has seen a leap in the ratings, with its move from BBC2 to BBC1. The first episode of the third series was watched by 5.9 million viewers, the average audience for series two ranged between 2.5 and 4.2 million...
While comparing a season premiere against a previous season average is tricky, the 2nd night numbers will tell whether the viewership has indeed increased or if it was just a first night bounce.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 07-07-09 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-09-09, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Torchwood: Children of Earth UK overnight ratings so far (Total = BBC1 + BBC HD + BBC3 repeat):

Day 1: 6.25 million viewers (5.94 million + 97,000 + 214,000)
Day 2: 5.94 million viewers (5.58 million + 82,000 + 282,000)
Day 3: 6.20 million viewers (5.87 million + 105,000 + 225,000)
Day 4: 6.55 million viewers (6.24 million + 82,000 + 232,000)

I'm sure BBC are very pleased with these ratings. So far, Torchwood has won its timeslot every night by 1.79 to 3.47 million viewers.

The quality of these new episodes is so wonderful that it's almost scary. It's like seeing a 13-episode season of Torchwood jammed into 5 episodes. I just finished watching Day 4, and it is simply stunning.

Last edited by diditagain; 07-10-09 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Edited to add Day 4 ratings
Old 07-12-09, 04:57 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just watched the Children of the Earth mini series and it was 5 amazing hours of tv

really well done and great performances all round. I won't spoil anything but there aren't many mainstream tv shows which are brave enough to do some of the things Torchwood does

Spoiler:
Talking about Jack having to sacrifice his grandson
Old 07-12-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched all 5 hours in a row on Friday and found it excellent.
Old 07-12-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm tempted to check it out, but I assume you all enjoyed the original TW series, so I'll have to take your opinions with a grain of salt.
Old 07-13-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The new TV GUIDE summer reviews page (by Matt Roush) says you should record it...

"...if only to play it over and over, it's that good. This thrilling five-hour miniseries is the TV event of the summer, a cosmic action-mystery that chills to the core while packing more suspenseful and sexy heat - and even humor - into a week's worth of episodes than most shows do in an entire season."
Old 07-13-09, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I won't spoil anything but there aren't many mainstream tv shows which are brave enough to do some of the things Torchwood does

Spoiler:
Talking about Jack having to sacrifice his grandson
I was thinking the same thing as I was watching it. I couldn’t imagine any US network show doing these kinds of things.

Spoiler:
In addition to having Jack basically killing his grandson, the Homeland Security guy killing his entire family as well as just the whole fact that you have this great romantic and tragic storyline that just happens to involve 2 men

All in all, I think it was some of the best TV I’ve ever seen. I waited until I had all 5 hours before I started watching it and I just couldn’t stop watching.

Spoiler for the unaired Doctor Who specials:

Spoiler:
Jack is back for the final David Tennent specials and I’ll be interested to see how he is when he comes back.
Old 07-13-09, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Torchwood mini was great. I watched all five parts over the weekend. A lot different from your average doctor who episode since the doctor wouldn't have made the sacrifice.

Whoever did the alien voice did a pretty good job. I also loved the reason they wanted the kids.
Old 07-13-09, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Should I bother to check this out if I didn't much care for the series?
Old 07-13-09, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: First ep

Originally Posted by benedict
Spoiler:
Some visual (and maybe audio) reminders of "Village of The Damned" and the Donald Sutherland version of "Invasion of the Bodysnatchers"
Entertaining so far. Some nice exposition of Captain Jack's amorality although I still don't agree with Russell Davies' apparent contention that one's sexuality must always be brought to the fore in day-to-day conversation.
Why is that? Why not? We hear straight people talking about and showing theirs all the time.

Last edited by riley_dude; 07-13-09 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-13-09, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Linky: Torchwood: Children of Earth blows away competition in UK - Coming to US July 20
As we all know, Torchwood’s third season has been reduced to five episodes in a mini-series called ‘Torchwood: Children of Earth.’ Well, all five episodes have premiered in the UK and on every single night it dominated the ratings and won the time slot every time it was on. It literally blew away the competition.

It’s fair to say this was because of great acting, great story and a series done in really high quality.

Numbers have not yet been published, but estimates show the following:

Day One - 5.9 million viewers
Day Two - 5.6 million viewers
Day Three - 5.9 million viewers
Day Four - 6.2 million viewers
Day Five - 5.8 million viewers

And this isn’t counting roughly 80-100,000 viewers who tuned in to the BBC HD Channel, or folks that DVR’d or recorded the show.

Here’s what io9 had to say:

Torchwood’s five-day miniseries, “Children Of Earth,” is a new classic. By any measure, the five-day “event” format was a triumph…Torchwood will probably never be as good as it’s been these past five days — although I’m desperately hoping to be proved wrong about that.

Torchwood: Children of Earth will air in the US on BBC America at 9/8c on July 20. Set your recorders, turn off your phones and don’t miss an episode. You won’t be disappointed.
Old 07-14-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

So could somebody put up a spoiler free review that saw the series?
Old 07-14-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir
I'm tempted to check it out, but I assume you all enjoyed the original TW series, so I'll have to take your opinions with a grain of salt.
I've always thought Torchwood could be better and never was really sure what it wanted to be. The first season was mediocre. The second was an improvement but not great but I have to say that the miniseries hit the ground running and is pretty damn good. I have only seen the first three parts but I am liking what I am seeing.
Old 07-15-09, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Should I bother to check this out if I didn't much care for the series?
I couldn't watch more than 2-3 episodes of the first season and haven't watched it since.

Having said that, I watched this and found it to be very good. I've been complaining about every RTD script since season 1 of Who, but the ones he worked on here were great.
Old 07-15-09, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good to know. I was really impressed with the last 3-4 of S2, so if this is anywhere near as good as that stretch I'll be very pleased.
Old 07-15-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
I couldn't watch more than 2-3 episodes of the first season and haven't watched it since.

Having said that, I watched this and found it to be very good. I've been complaining about every RTD script since season 1 of Who, but the ones he worked on here were great.
The whole thing was pretty damn intense. The stakes were raised and all hell broke loose. Those last two episodes are doozies.
Old 07-15-09, 12:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

saw the preview for this before 'Bruno' yesterday - wow! can't wait to see this.
Old 07-15-09, 01:20 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What i found most scary is the fact that if governments did find themselves in such a situation, it really is the sort of thing they would do. And they would use force to take kids away from their families

one of my fav scenes was when the policeman saw the injustice, took off his uniform and ran in to get stuck into the soliders with his fists.

Its scenarios like this which make you want to have at home

a) a panic room/bunker to hide in

b) Full arsenal of weaponry
Old 07-15-09, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A 10 minute interview/preview is up on iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...40479&s=143441
Old 07-20-09, 05:00 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: First ep

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Why is that? Why not? We hear straight people talking about and showing theirs all the time.
I didn't actually mention gay, straight or anything in-between. It was the principle to which I was referring.

However, I think most would agreed that Doctor Who used to be pretty sexless before Davies was involved. And he certainly ratchets things up for Torchwood on the sexual relationship front.

In this kind of show I'm just not interested in the day-to-day love lives of the main players. Occasionally it may add to the tension or poignancy but, to me, it often seems out of place/forced/shoe-horned in.

All IMNSHO and I appreciate that YMMV.
Old 07-20-09, 07:01 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Attention U.S. Americans: This starts tonight on BBC America.
Old 07-21-09, 08:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

as someone who didn't watch Torchwood the series before this, I was a tad lost, the pacing was a bit much at the beginning. Generally though I really enjoyed the beginning of the mini-series.
Old 07-21-09, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
as someone who didn't watch Torchwood the series before this, I was a tad lost, the pacing was a bit much at the beginning. Generally though I really enjoyed the beginning of the mini-series.
Those unfamiliar with the series should take a look at the Torchwood: Inside The Hub special, which will provide all the background needed to fully enjoy Children of Earth.

Also, go to BBC American website for a tour of the hub - again, lots of basic background.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.