DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Colbert Report- Series Premiere- 10/17/05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/441843-colbert-report-series-premiere-10-17-05-a.html)

Tracer Bullet 10-17-05 01:42 PM

The Colbert Report- Series Premiere- 10/17/05

COMEDY 11:30pm
Series/Talk, 30 Mins.
"Stone Phillips" Episode #101.
NBC anchor Stone Phillips.

I've been looking forward to this for a while, although I'm worried. It's either going to be very good, or very bad. Any bets?

dick_grayson 10-17-05 01:47 PM

I've been looking forward to it for a while also. His recent bits on The Daily Show have been excellent and his timing seems to be better than ever, so I'd bet that it'll be excellent. I'm curious to see how the format goes and if he'll dance over the line of satire/seriousness.

JasonF 10-17-05 03:00 PM

I'm not sure if the format will work for two hours a week, but Colbert is funny, so I'll give it a try.

TheMadMonk 10-17-05 04:07 PM

I agree it might be a bit hard to fill 2 hours a week. But I'm definitely going to watch.

mdc3000 10-17-05 05:05 PM

It's FRENCH, Bitch. Can't wait.

MATT

clemente 10-17-05 10:55 PM

Is anybody else watching this now??

Freaking Hilarious!

To expect this level of quality everday would be setting yourself up for disappointment, even TDS isn't consistently this level of funny, but a damn good start for Colbert.

sherm42 10-17-05 11:07 PM

I loved it. It does seem that the show is going to have to become a bit looser and more on the fly. They obviously had a long time to script this episode so it seemed well rehearsed.

I do wonder if guests will want to come on regularly since Colbert is really playing a character rather than actually interviewing them. It requires the guest to play along. Maybe it's kind of like guest hosting SNL. Outsiders get a small chance to play comedian.

Overall, I laughed pretty hard throughout.

Loved when he pointed out his Emmy and Peabody award.

TheMadMonk 10-17-05 11:39 PM

I liked it.

slop101 10-18-05 12:34 AM

If he can keep up this level of writing for 4 episodes a week, he's more brilliant than I thought - or he has a lot of really good writers...

MrX 10-18-05 12:49 AM

I thought it was great.

The first segment was hilarious.

WallyOPD 10-18-05 02:22 AM

My roommate and I were both very unimpressed with everything up until Stone Phillips came on. It was kind of amusing but not laugh out loud funny. The Stone Phillips bits were great though.

dolphinboy 10-18-05 02:25 AM

didn't like it very much.

TheBang 10-18-05 03:00 AM

Well, I must say, the first segment was almost painful. I felt like I was supposed to be laughing, but for some reason it just didn't click. His smarmy self-assuredness was the same as when he gave reports on The Daily Show, but I felt it just didn't reflect the absolute absurdity of what he was saying without the reality-grounding of John Stewart's foil.

To me, that feeling was pretty much validated once Stone Phillips came on. The interview was hilarious. I haven't seen much off-the-cuff Colbert, but I thought he was great; very quick on his feet. Having Stone was a great choice, as he obviously provides much inspiration for Colbert's character. I also thought the gravitas-off was hilarious.

So, for me, it was kind of an opposite of the Daily Show. While I find the "news" very funny on TDS and the interviews sometimes boring, the interview was the best part of The Colbert Report. I hope they can keep up the quality of the guest segments, and find a way to better way to present the "news" segments. Or, we'll see. It was the first show, after all.

Jaymole 10-18-05 07:37 AM

I laughed out loud consistently throughout the show, a very rare occurence for me. If it keeps up this level of writing, it might just become my favorite show on TV.

Tracer Bullet 10-18-05 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Todd B.
Well, I must say, the first segment was almost painful. I felt like I was supposed to be laughing, but for some reason it just didn't click. His smarmy self-assuredness was the same as when he gave reports on The Daily Show, but I felt it just didn't reflect the absolute absurdity of what he was saying without the reality-grounding of John Stewart's foil.

I agree. The Colbert character doesn't work nearly as well without a straight man (remember the ill-fated decision to let Colbert fill in for Stewart as host of The Daily Show one night?), and the first segment wasn't very funny. Once Phillips came on the show loosened up, although it still wasn't absolutely hilarious.

I'm hoping they realize this and play up the guests a lot more in the future- which would be fitting as this show is supposed to be a sendup of pundit shows and not news broadcasts. Still, for a first episode it was pretty impressive.

das Monkey 10-18-05 08:15 AM

I thought it was moderately funny with a few hilarious moments, but you can only get so much mileage out of the "smarmy host" bit. I'm not sure what they do after that. I'll tune in to see.

das

alfonsosoriano 10-18-05 08:20 AM

Damn, I forgot about it.

TheMadMonk 10-18-05 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
Damn, I forgot about it.

Well, this is Comedy Central. You have several chances to see the repeat of it, before the new episode tonight at 11:30.

It is on again at 10:30 AM, 2:30 PM, and 8:30 PM

Groucho 10-18-05 08:37 AM

I thought it was well-done, but I question the longevity of the show.

RoyalTea 10-18-05 10:15 AM

if this means colbert will not be on the daily show, then I'm not happy.

if they take away "this week in God," I'll totally flip out ninja-style.

Tracer Bullet 10-18-05 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
if this means colbert will not be on the daily show, then I'm not happy.

if they take away "this week in God," I'll totally flip out ninja-style.

I think "This Week in God" is being given to Rob Corddry.

RoyalTea 10-18-05 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
I think "This Week in God" is being given to Rob Corddry.

:mad: then I cannot be held responsible for my actions :mad:

Brain Stew 10-18-05 10:33 AM

Rob Corddry is hilarious. One of the best on the show.

sherm42 10-18-05 11:00 AM

Corddry is hilarious. I think he has also done "This Week in God" before anyway so it is nothing new.

Mr. Salty 10-18-05 04:50 PM

Corddry's younger brother did a report for "The Daily Show" a couple of weeks ago that was f***ing hysterical. He was funnier than Rob, and that's saying something. I don't know if he's going to be a regular or not, but he'd be a welcome addition to the cast.

I forgot about Colbert's new show last night, so I recored it this morning. I'm looking forward to watching it tonight when I get home from work.