Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Colbert Report- Series Premiere- 10/17/05

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No stations in Canada have picked this up, but I managed to "see" it and boy, this show was excellent. It was pretty much everything I was hoping for. Colbert brought his A-game and thankfully, it's not just a "daily show 2", which I was worried would be the case. Stone Phillips was hilarious (after he warmed up to Colbert...seemed a bit awkward at first) and I am definitely sold on this show. A great start.

MATT
Old 10-18-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Corddry's younger brother did a report for "The Daily Show" a couple of weeks ago that was f***ing hysterical. He was funnier than Rob, and that's saying something. I don't know if he's going to be a regular or not, but he'd be a welcome addition to the cast.

WOW, I thought he was awful. Certainly, not in the same league as his brother, Rob.

No one should do "This week in God" other than Colbert.

CC needs to get on the ball and give Samantha Bee her own show. Something where she's not wearing any clothes.
Old 10-18-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I've been looking forward to this, but thought it was just okay. I like Colbert too much to immediately write it off, so I'll keep watching.

You know, I never realized that his ears are asymmetrical (his right one points outward) until last night and I've been watching him for years. Now I can't look away!
Old 10-18-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Just saw The Colbert Report's 1st ep and thought it was absolutely hilarious! It's a great, dead-on spoof of The O'Reilly Factor in every way!

(And I'm amazed at Colbert's ability to completely deadpan without even cracking a smile.)
Old 10-18-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
Just saw The Colbert Report's 1st ep and thought it was absolutely hilarious! It's a great, dead-on spoof of The O'Reilly Factor in every way!

(And I'm amazed at Colbert's ability to completely deadpan without even cracking a smile.)
Well, I don't think I'm about to start watching the O'Reilly Factor just so I can appreciate The Colbert Report more. But that's nice to know. O'Reilly's on The Daily Show tonight too.

Colbert almost cracked a smile a couple times during the Stone Phillips interview.
Old 10-18-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm pretty sure there was at least a bit of Olberman spoofing going on (what with the countdown of stories and whatnot).
Old 10-19-05, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The headline reading face-off was awesome.
Old 10-19-05, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Todd B.
Well, I don't think I'm about to start watching the O'Reilly Factor just so I can appreciate The Colbert Report more. But that's nice to know. O'Reilly's on The Daily Show tonight too.
I don't watch the O'Reilly Factor either (or anything from FOX News), but have seen it a few times in the past, so I caught onto the spoof right away. Although the O'Reilly Factor is total crap, I recommend checking it out at least once for anyone planning to regularly watch The Colbert Report, just because knowing what O'Reilly's show is like makes Colbert's show even funnier.
Old 10-19-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Love how Colbert turns the introduction of his guest into a re-intro of himself.
Old 10-19-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Last night's ep may have actually been better than the premiere. Good sign. That "Getting to Know the Congressional Districts" piece was great stuff.

das
Old 10-19-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Last night's episode was much better than the first.

Still, I can't figure out what Stephen Colbert is doing; there are at least three distinct "Colbert" characters on this show: the smarmy, know-it-all pundit, the self-effacing interviewer, and the Colbert from The Daily Show. I'm not convinced he's decided how to play himself yet.
Old 10-19-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Last night's episode was much better than the first.

Still, I can't figure out what Stephen Colbert is doing; there are at least three distinct "Colbert" characters on this show: the smarmy, know-it-all pundit, the self-effacing interviewer, and the Colbert from The Daily Show. I'm not convinced he's decided how to play himself yet.
Maybe that's what he's going for? A parody of several different styles. I don't think using only one of the three is going to work in all the situations they use on the show.
Old 10-19-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
WOW, I thought he was awful. Certainly, not in the same league as his brother, Rob.
CC needs to get on the ball and give Samantha Bee her own show. Something where she's not wearing any clothes.
We must have opposing tastes, because I thought Nate Corrdry was HILARIOUS and Samantha Bee (of late) just isn't funny. Most of her Daily Show bits have been flat... I used to like her, but everytime she comes on now, I'm dreading it. A whole show of that would be brutal....now, naked, ok, that could be tolerable

MATT
Old 10-19-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chew
Maybe that's what he's going for? A parody of several different styles. I don't think using only one of the three is going to work in all the situations they use on the show.
That could be; it's not a bad interpretation. To me, it seems schizophrenic, but I'll give it some more time.
Old 10-19-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
The headline reading face-off was awesome.
Best part of the show. I liked it. I'll keep watching.
Old 10-19-05, 10:03 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Some of the best stuff is what's written on the side when he spoofs O'Reilly's first word.
Old 10-19-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the show's opening with him waving the giant American flag and the bald eagle.
Old 10-19-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

2nd episode was MUCH better than the 1st.

Love when he just brings the funny in the interviews, but not as much when he asks a semi-serious question.

Will he really get 434 more congressmen to humiliate themselves like that African-American guy who used to eat his pets?
Old 10-19-05, 11:43 PM

My favorite part of the first episode (finally got around to seeing it on TiVo) was the call out of Brady. Brings back fond memories of my most favorite Colbert moment ever...

Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent god of the Aztecs...you are a pu***.
Old 10-20-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

His comments about getting Tim Russert an R shaped desk and putting him in the "R-hole" were classic.
Old 10-20-05, 11:57 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Here's the guest list for the next 3 weeks

10/20: Jim Cramer

10/24: Lou Dobbs
10/25: Greg Behrendt
10/26: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
10/27: Jeff Daniels

10/31: Monica Crowley
11/1: Ken Burns
11/2: Bruce Feiler
11/3: TBA

11/7: Eliot Spitzer
11/8: Joe Scarborough
11/9: Mary Roach
11/10: Craig Crawford
Old 10-20-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
Some of the best stuff is what's written on the side when he spoofs O'Reilly's first word.
"Count 'Em!"

Old 10-20-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I've been looking forward to this, but thought it was just okay. I like Colbert too much to immediately write it off, so I'll keep watching.

You know, I never realized that his ears are asymmetrical (his right one points outward) until last night and I've been watching him for years. Now I can't look away!
Apparently Colbert lurks at DVD Talk
Old 10-21-05, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Lisa Loeb bit was my favorite thing from the 1st week.

"I'm not stalking you, Sharleen, I know it's over." - (Call me)

That interview was surprisingly hilarious.

From beginning to end, I was laughing my ass off. Nice way to end the 1st week.

Now, If they'd only gone back for some more of Samantha Bee on the toilet, with her pants down (from the earlier Daily Show), it would have been perfect.
Old 10-21-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Good to see them finish the week strong. Wednesday's ep was a complete dud, but they brought the funny last night.

das

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.