The West Wing - "Mr. Frost" - 10/16

Old 10-16-05, 02:08 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The West Wing - "Mr. Frost" - 10/16

"Mr. Frost"
Spoiler:
As CJ tries to manage without most of her staff, trouble breaks out in the Middle East, jeopardizing President Bartlet's peace plan.
Old 10-16-05, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was another meh.. episode for me. The campaign is what most interesting now and this episode had much more focus on the West Wing. Plus the is he a crazy paranoid guy storyline did nothing for me. And the twist at the end was not very surprising.

A little dissapointing after a great Alan Alda episode last week.
Old 10-16-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, who was that black guy talking with CJ and Toby about baseball at the beginning? He looked familiar.

das
Old 10-17-05, 12:59 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

He was back in the credits this week as well.

Poor Janel Maloney, she's probably sitting at home hoping Amber Frey dates another dude that kills his wife so she can get some work.

I called who the leak was back in the first episode of the season, it should be interesting to see how he avoids prison since he was at the Bartlett library.
Old 10-17-05, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

3 replies, no one watches anymore. And I can't say I blame them. Good to see Charlie back in the show and credits. But other than that the whole episode was a bore. The way Santos talked about religion and school caught my ear until I realized it was nothing new.
Old 10-17-05, 03:10 AM
Banned

So Dule Hill is BACK in the opening credits again? Why was he taken out? There's enough room in the opening credits for everyone. Even though Channing, Alda and Smits only appeared in the credits for episodes they were in on their first seasons, no one else in the regular cast was ever like that.
Old 10-17-05, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm still watching, but (ironically) I don't give a damn about any of the stuff going on in the White House. Love the campaign eps.
Old 10-17-05, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was certainly nice to see a lot of people we haven't seen in a long time, but I agree: pretty m'eh.
Old 10-17-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Still digging only the campaign stuff.
Old 10-17-05, 09:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
I called who the leak was back in the first episode of the season, it should be interesting to see how he avoids prison since he was at the Bartlett library.
Spoiler:
I'm not sure of the legal aspects, but couldn't he make the argument that he learned of the military shuttle from his dead brother (the astronaut), as he told CJ in an episode last year. He didn't get the information from Top Secret documents. Therefore he wasn't technically breaking any laws.
Old 10-17-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Random thought related to the Senate investigation scene in this episode: I always seem to have a problem telling John M Jackson and Mitch Pileggi apart.

Am I alone in that?
Old 10-17-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was all set to stop watching after this epsiode but hey if Charlie's back then I might have to hang around. Nice to see Mitch Pileggi too but the episode was just there.
Old 10-17-05, 02:57 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
This show is a shadow of its former self.
Old 10-17-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Spoiler:
I'm not sure of the legal aspects, but couldn't he make the argument that he learned of the military shuttle from his dead brother (the astronaut), as he told CJ in an episode last year. He didn't get the information from Top Secret documents. Therefore he wasn't technically breaking any laws.
his brother is
Spoiler:
dead? for some reason I thought his astronaught brother was one of the ones trapped on the space station
Old 10-17-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by MrX
pardon?
Old 10-17-05, 09:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehunt
his brother is
Spoiler:
dead? for some reason I thought his astronaught brother was one of the ones trapped on the space station
Spoiler:
Last season his brother killed himself. It's discussed alot in the episode where Toby & Josh get in a fight. In that episode, Toby had just returned from his brother's funeral.

In one of the last 2-3 episodes of the season, CJ asked Toby if his brother had ever mentioned a Military shuttle. Toby said that he'd hinted at it a couple of times. CJ then asked him that if his brother were in the marooned shuttle, would the brother want NASA to reveal the Top Secret shuttle. Toby said that his brother would insist that they didn't. That the secret was worth dying for. Or something like that.
Old 10-18-05, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bandoman
This show is a shadow of its former self.
Yeah, and I know that I'm not stating anything new or that no one realizes this, but the main missing component from this show is the sense of fun it used to have...
Old 10-18-05, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Spoiler:
Last season his brother killed himself. It's discussed alot in the episode where Toby & Josh get in a fight. In that episode, Toby had just returned from his brother's funeral.

In one of the last 2-3 episodes of the season, CJ asked Toby if his brother had ever mentioned a Military shuttle. Toby said that he'd hinted at it a couple of times. CJ then asked him that if his brother were in the marooned shuttle, would the brother want NASA to reveal the Top Secret shuttle. Toby said that his brother would insist that they didn't. That the secret was worth dying for. Or something like that.
thanks
Old 10-18-05, 11:30 PM

Sense of fun? I agree that the cleaver, witty writing is gone. There was a line that CJ said about "Kazikstan, or Uzbeckistan...or one of the Stans" that just bombed and wasn't funny at all. When she said it all I could think about was how funny Sorkin would have made it. There would have been something charming for us to smile at.

Like most people here, I am still loving the election stuff and the relative newness of it all. I really like Smits' charisma. There is something very likable about Santos and that whole thing. I think I would continue watching if he won, but consider dropping the show if Alda won. I know he is a great actor and all, but I hate the Vinick character. Seems kinda smug.

And about Charlie. Dule Hill was on Carson Daly last week and said that he did five episodes (or some low number like that) for this season. A season of change I guess. At least we get the hotness of the blonde with glasses and the funny interactions between her and Leo in the elevator. "Tension?" Still, I am sure that dispite how much some of us are enjoying this season it'll never live up and we will never consider anyone as good as our past favorites.

At least we get this faux-SNL Sorkin project soon. Seems very Sports Night-ish. w

Last edited by david12; 10-18-05 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-18-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by david12
At least we get this faux-SNL Sorkin project soon. Seems very Sports Night-ish. w
Tell me more. First I've heard of this.
Old 10-20-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

firstly, about the credits. i read an article a few days ago that mentioned that the bit players would be rotated in and out depending on if they were in the episode or not.

next, i thought this episode was much better but still a shell of its former self. with the departure of the leak, it we will be down to 2 original characters left in the white house. it's sad that a show that started off so brilliantly, is just limping to the finish line.

finally, sorkin's new project is this:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...4&cs=1&s=h&p=0

Posted: Fri., Oct. 14, 2005, 4:11pm PT
Peacock on 'Studio' beat
Sorkin, Schlamme sell behind-the-scenes drama skein
Hit-hungry NBC has recruited some heavy firepower for its comeback bid, beating out CBS to land the new series from Aaron Sorkin and Thomas Schlamme.

Peacock made a 13-episode promise to Warner Bros. TV -- and agreed to a near-record license fee -- in order to snag the project from the minds behind first four seasons of NBC's "The West Wing."

Dubbed "Studio 7 on the Sunset Strip," Sorkin and Schlamme's latest collaboration is an hourlong drama set behind the scenes at a long-running Los Angeles-based sketch-comedy show not unlike "Saturday Night Live" (Daily Variety, Oct. 5).

Interestingly, Endeavor is packaging both "Studio 7" and a competing project from Tina Fey -- produced by Lorne Michaels -- which also takes place inside a sketch laffer.

Peacock insiders said it's too early to worry about conflicts, particularly with the Fey project said to be months away from moving forward.

As for "Studio 7," Sorkin wrote the pilot script in advance of the sale. He'll continue to write the series beyond the pilot, serving as exec producer with Schlamme, who'll direct the pilot.

Deal for the project guarantees production of the pilot and calls on NBC to order 12 additional episodes. Peacock has an out, albeit an expensive one: If it doesn't like the pilot, it can decline to make the series -- and pay WBTV a mid-seven-figure penalty instead.

NBC also is on the hook for a per-episode license fee of nearly $2 million. That would make the show one of the most expensive first-year dramas in Peacock history, if not the most.

It's believed the license fee for the pilot will be substantially higher than the per-seg cost to NBC-- a common scenario for most network productions.

In addition, net has made some contractual assurances about timeslots. Skein must air between 9 and 11 p.m. on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday night.

NBC's deal with WBTV also runs for just 4 years, rather than the so-called perpetual seven-year deals that are all but standard these days. As a result, if "Studio 7" becomes a monster hit, WBTV will have the same sort of negotiating flexibility that allowed it to charge NBC more than $13 million an episode back in the heyday of "ER."

Peacock entertainment prexy Kevin Reilly said Sorkin and Schlamme's pedigrees made the project worth the gamble, calling it "their next great NBC show."

"This project is a noisy, compelling combination of bold drama and laugh-out-loud comedy," Reilly said in a statement released by NBC Friday.

Script for Sorkin's project was being hotly traded around Hollywood last week. The pilot includes a role for "Desperate Housewives" star Felicity Huffman, who serves as host of an episode of the fictional sketch laffer.

Huffman and Sorkin worked together on the latter's half-hour ABC dramedy "Sports Night."

"Studio 7" is one of two monster projects WBTV brought to the marketplace this month. The other -- "Class," a laffer from David Crane and Jeffrey Klarik -- sold to CBS (Daily Variety, Oct. 10).

In both cases, the scribes involved wrote the pilot script for their projects before the pitching process began. That strategy helped build interest for the project among the webs and allowed WBTV to snag a premium commitment for them.

Indeed, CBS and NBC battled mightily for both "Class" and "Studio 7," putting WBTV execs in the uncomfortable position of denying both nets a show each wanted.

Notably, neither project was given serious consideration by ABC. That's because Alphabet reps made it clear they weren't prepared to accept WBTV's condition of a 4 1/2 year license fee agreement.

People familiar with ABC's position said the network doesn't want to set a precedent for accepting short-term deals for high-profile projects while rejecting them for other projects. What's more, ABC doesn't want to be put in the position of having to pay an exorbitant license fee for a show 5 years down the road, even if it's for a hit.

Execs at CBS and NBC, however, seem willing to gamble that the benefits of a smash hit would outweight the potential financial downside that would come should WBTV be able to demand a huge license fee hike on either "Class" or "Studio 7" in the future.

There's little doubt, however, that the studio's dealmakers did right by the respective profit participants in each project. Both the "Class" and "Studio 7" deals are said to be among the richest commitments made by nets in recent years.

One immediate concern raised by the sale of "Studio 7" to NBC is the fact that the net is home to "SNL" and its creator, Lorne Michaels. Not surprisingly, NBC insiders said Reilly briefed Michaels on the project last week and assured him Sorkin's fictional skein is not a clone of "SNL."

A rep for Michaels' Broadway Video shingle did not respond to an email request for comment.

Still, "Studio 7" promises more than a few uncomfortable moments for Peacock brass. Pilot begins with a "Network"-like moment in which the exec producer of the sketch laffer blasts the current state of the TV biz, including a reference to nets paying people "to eat worms" -- a clear shot at NBC's "Fear Factor."

Sorkin has also written a network entertainment president character that bears a striking resemblance to former Peacock exec Jamie Tarses.

Sorkin's entertainment topper for his fictional UBS is a woman in her 30s named Jamie McDeere, an ex-NBC exec responsible for developing shows such as "Friends" and "Mad About You." Tarses' married named during much of her tenure at NBC was Jamie McDermott, and she's often credited with playing a key role in the births of both "Friends" and "Mad About You."

"Studio 7" is Sorkin's first stab at TV since he left "The West Wing." Schlamme directed the pilot for ABC's frosh drama "Invasion" and exec produced short-lived WB drama "Jack & Bobby."
Old 10-20-05, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only gripe I have with that is how he was treated by NBC previously. I don't see why he wouldn't push for the show to go to CBS instead. I hate what NBC forced upon the West Wing. Since they interfered the show has become a shadow of its former self. I love Sorkin, though. And I will follow anything he does, just as others feel the same way about Joss Whedon.
Old 10-20-05, 02:04 AM

I'm looking forward to any new show Sorkin does as I love both Sports Night and Sorkin Era West Wing.

About the West Wing, I'm really digging the campaign stuff, much much more than the actual White House plots and I really like Santos's character, but why does he always ALWAYS have to be right? It seems like everytime there is a campaign decision or strategy, Josh will say one thing, Santos doesn't listen, and does some out-of-left-field thing that ALWAYS pays off.

Why can't Josh be right about something once? I mean what's the point of having him on the campaign if you're never going to listen to him? Isn't Josh supposed to be running the campaign? It just seems like Santos never follows the advice that Josh gives. Josh comes off as inept and Santos as a genius when Josh should be this amazing campaign manager after all the stuff he's done and been through.

Just my .02

Last edited by SiberianLlama; 10-20-05 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-23-05, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk God

i finally got a chance to get caught up with all 4 eps so far from this season
sure sucks that they are killing this show with the timeslot opposite simpsons

I still like it
Old 10-23-05, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff
sure sucks that they are killing this show with the timeslot opposite simpsons
Overall I'd guess the fanbases are more different than the same

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.