Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

TVTalk Draft Game… The Grand Finale!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who has the better lineup?
das Monkey
53.33%
Jericho
46.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

TVTalk Draft Game… The Grand Finale!

Old 10-14-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
apeyard had the best lineup.

I voted Jericho in this matchup, although I find the Rome choice very curious (I think it is a good show, but far too soon to be in this kind of contest).
Old 10-14-05, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
das Monkey
Old 10-14-05, 11:55 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jericho it is.

Great pics everyone!!!!!!
Old 10-14-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
As per my agreement, I vote for das.

Now send me my $5 please.
Old 10-14-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
i was going to vote for jericho, but das told me that he was talking bad about my mom
and I cant support someone that is making fun of my mom
Old 10-14-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chew

Well, I've gone with both these guys throughout, but the end is a bit easier for me. The choice of B5 and Firefly carried me through this far with das. As much as it's an unpopular opinion, I only made it through half of Sports Night and I've never even seen Schmo or Wonder Years.

My final vote goes to: Jericho
Fredo.

das
Old 10-14-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-14-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bob Loblaw

Great pics everyone!!!!!!
Sunday:

Monday:

Tuesday:

Wednesday:

Thursday:

Friday:

Saturday:

Great pics, indeed.

das
Old 10-14-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On a side note I'd love to see the draft road show head over to Other next. Draft the top 5 Otters you'd take if you were starting your own forum!
Old 10-14-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
apeyard had the best lineup.

I voted Jericho in this matchup, although I find the Rome choice very curious (I think it is a good show, but far too soon to be in this kind of contest).

I had to take Rome, otherwise I'd be severely lacking in a show with male nudity. And what else will fill the gap? Dennis Franz' butt?

Seriously though, I took Rome as my last pick, mainly because it was so unique and different as a show. And thoroughly entertaining. Maybe a reach, but it was my last pick.

As a side note, I would argue that I went for more variety that some think. I don't think of shows as strict drama vs. comedy. Instead I went for a western (Deadwood), sci-fi (Babylon 5), thriller/action (24), dramedy (Desperate Housewives), some stricter drama (The Shield, The Sopranos), and whatever you might classify Rome as (an epic?). If you went to a video store, that's at least 5 different genres sections to look in. A lot of these shows I thought were nothing like what's available on TV, so I tried to aim for the unique as one of my goals.
Old 10-14-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B.A.
I meant to vote for Jericho, but I accidentally voted for das.
That's okay, I know you're there in spirit. Unless I lose by one vote, in which case I shall kill you
Old 10-14-05, 12:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Draft the top 5 Otters you'd take if you were starting your own forum!
That's actually a pretty good idea. Sure beats my "Draft 5 Notable Members of the Whig Party" idea for the Politics forum.
Old 10-14-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Das for me in a close one.
Old 10-14-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sunday:

Monday:

Tuesday:

Wednesday:

Thursday:

Friday:

Saturday:

Pic this!

Last edited by Jericho; 10-14-05 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-14-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
I had to take Rome, otherwise I'd be severely lacking in a show with male nudity. And what else will fill the gap? Dennis Franz' butt?

Seriously though, I took Rome as my last pick, mainly because it was so unique and different as a show. And thoroughly entertaining. Maybe a reach, but it was my last pick.

As a side note, I would argue that I went for more variety that some think. I don't think of shows as strict drama vs. comedy. Instead I went for a western (Deadwood), sci-fi (Babylon 5), thriller/action (24), dramedy (Desperate Housewives), some stricter drama (The Shield, The Sopranos), and whatever you might classify Rome as (an epic?). If you went to a video store, that's at least 5 different genres sections to look in. A lot of these shows I thought were nothing like what's available on TV, so I tried to aim for the unique as one of my goals.

If you were looking for male nudity in a high quality drama, you should have gone with Oz.

I just can't see the justification for Rome where there were so many great dramas not on anybody's list (unless I missed them): L.A. Law, Picket Fences, Murder One, Hill Street Blues.
Old 10-14-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jericho

Being completely honest and meaning no offense, I also thought it showed a lack of creativity to take both B5's 4th season and Deadwood's 2nd after people had already picked better seasons.

That you'd copy my picture idea just underscores that.

das
Old 10-14-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Being completely honest and meaning no offense, I also thought it showed a lack of creativity to take both B5's 4th season and Deadwood's 2nd after people had already picked better seasons.

That you'd copy my picture idea just underscores that.

das
But would you pass up Babylon Season 4 if someone else took Season 3?
Old 10-14-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Forget the "picks", let's vote on the "pics"!!
Old 10-14-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jericho

But would you pass up Babylon Season 4 if someone else took Season 3?
Sadly, yeah. That's why I grabbed it 1st. I couldn't bear the thought of someone else taking it. But it was the combo of two second picks that I was commenting on. Maybe you got amnesia and forgot someone else had taken better seasons.

das
Old 10-14-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sadly, yeah. That's why I grabbed it 1st. I couldn't bear the thought of someone else taking it. But it was the combo of two second picks that I was commenting on. Maybe you got amnesia and forgot someone else had taken better seasons.

das
B5 season 3 was going to be my first pick, but I was too slow on the draw. I briefly flirted with putting B5 season 2, but decided against it.
Old 10-14-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
If you were looking for male nudity in a high quality drama, you should have gone with Oz.

I just can't see the justification for Rome where there were so many great dramas not on anybody's list (unless I missed them): L.A. Law, Picket Fences, Murder One, Hill Street Blues.
I can at least tell you why I didn't take the shows you mentioned. Hill Street Blues was a little before my time. I've seen some episodes, but not enough to really be attached to it. I didn't really watch Murder One. I did watch L.A. Law and Picket Fences, both of which I enjoyed. But I didn't take any season of L.A. Law partly because there are plenty of law shows out there. L.A. Law is a very good law show, but I wanted to go with choices that are a little different.

The shows I did pick are simply shows that I watch, that I like, and that fit my "theme". Certainly I could have chosen other, more respected shows, but I was just having fun with it. Besides, there were enough episodes of Rome out there to equal a british season or a Mr. Show season. I felt that was enough.
Old 10-14-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

das
What can I say? I'd rather have some Deadwood, than no Deadwood. I just like the show too much. Although I actually did select Deadwood Season 1 when we had that dead day between day 1 and day 2 and a few people made picks. Of course those picks got deleted, but they did occur. Does that count?
Old 10-14-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Under two hours left. Still pretty close.

Will Jericho make a comeback?
Old 10-14-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jericho

Does that count?
Sure.

To address Red Dog, I came very, very close to taking Hill Street but went with Homicide instead. There just wasn't room for two cop shows, so I stopped there. More recent shows like The Shield would have been more strategically advantageous, but I think Homicide (and The Wire) represent the genre at its absolute best.

das
Old 10-14-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sure.

To address Red Dog, I came very, very close to taking Hill Street but went with Homicide instead. There just wasn't room for two cop shows, so I stopped there. More recent shows like The Shield would have been more strategically advantageous, but I think Homicide (and The Wire) represent the genre at its absolute best.

das
That's funny. I took a season of Homicide and almost took HSB as one of my last two picks as well. I instead went for Brisco County and Carnivale becuase I wanted to throw some Sci-Fi/Fantasy into the mix and I already had two cop shows (with The Wire). I wonder if picking an "older" show would have helped me take out Jericho?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.