TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Desperate Housewives - 10/09/05

Old 10-09-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Desperate Housewives - 10/09/05

"You'll Never Get Away From Me"

Spoiler:
Bree's mother-in-law, Phyllis, gets her into trouble with the law; Susan bravely tries to accept Edie's new role in Julie's life; Lynette's demanding boss makes her miss Parker's first day of kindergarten.

Cast: Teri Hatcher, Felicity Huffman, Marcia Cross, Eva Longoria, Nicollette Sheridan, Alfre Woodard, Brenda Strong, James Denton, Doug Savant, Ricardo Antonio Chavira, Mark Moses, Richard Burgi, Roger Bart, Cody Kasch, Andrea Bowen, Shawn Pyfrom, Joy Lauren, Mehcad Brooks, Jesse Metcalfe, Zane Huett .
Director(s): Arlene Sanford.
Producer(s): Charles Pratt Jr., Marc Cherry, Tom Spezialy, Michael Edelstein.
Writer(s): Ellen Herman, Tom Spezialy.

Original Airdate: October 9, 2005.

Desperate Housewives
Old 10-09-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good ep., but not great. Didn't have the good pacing of the others IMO, and the dialogue wasn't as sharp.

Is it my imagination, or have all the housewives lost weight over the summer? Hatcher was noticeable initially, but now I look at Cross and she doesn't seem as curvaceous as she was last year, and I remember the scene with her in the nightie showing such.
Old 10-09-05, 11:33 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

When did Mike and Susan become so chummy again?

Bree running her mother-in-law out of the house after her meeting with the cops was great

Eva looked fantastic this episode
Old 10-09-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Eva was wearing some nice outfits this episode.
Old 10-10-05, 12:20 AM

Eva's character seemed more three-dimensional in this episode. She has always been the least sympathetic of the housewives, so it is nice to see the writers finally addressing that.
Old 10-10-05, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Catching the pharmacist is beginning to look like a season-long storyline. I'm not so sure that's the one I want to see dragged out.
Old 10-10-05, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Finally got to see a glimpse of the gimp! Otherwise, this show is getting sillier and sillier.
Old 10-10-05, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was pretty bored w/ this ep (as I am w/ the show) - it was a long hour. The only highlights were Bree giving her monster-in-law the boot and Eva. I just kept wondering when it was going to end so I could watch Grey's Anatomy. I'm pretty sure my wife felt the same way.
Old 10-10-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The folks at Desperate Housewives do know the season has started, right?

After three episodes, this hugely popular ABC soap-com still seems to be in some offseason transition, clinging to old plots while fumbling with new ones. Perhaps it was too much to hope that the second season of Housewives would get off to the same kind of explosive start as the first. But we do expect the series to do more than just mark time.

Let me hasten to add that I'd still rather spend time with these Housewives than with almost any other TV show. Even at a reduced gear, Housewives is one of the medium's rare pleasures, one that should be able to ride on our affection for its actors and characters long enough for the writers to find their way home again.

Part of the problem, perhaps, is that Housewives creator Marc Cherry has yet to write an episode this season. TV is a collaborative medium, so it is likely that Cherry has made major contributions to all the scripts. But that's not the same thing, and so far, neither is his show.

Of course there have been entertaining moments, and Sunday night's return of Harriet Sansom Harris may be a sign of more to come. But too many of the setups don't pay off such as Lynette's (Felicity Huffman) attempt to video-conference her way to her son's first day of school, or Bree's (Marcia Cross) flat act-break insult to the detective. And the writers seem to be drawing some of the characters too broadly, making Gaby (Eva Longoria) too selfish and Susan (Teri Hatcher) too stupid.

What's worse, too many of the scenes are rehashing stories we thought we had left behind. Do they really expect us to believe Gaby was considering getting back together with John?

Yet more than anything, what's missing is an overarching story strong enough to tie the episodes and the housewives together. Mary Alice's suicide didn't just launch Housewives. By forcing the remaining friends to re-evaluate their lives while uniting them in a quest to understand Mary Alice's death; it set the tone for the show and lent it depth.

So far this year, there's no such link among these four women. Indeed, in three weeks we've hardly seen the four stars together. And they didn't share a scene last night at all.

If Alfre Woodard's man-in-the-basement story line was supposed to be the tie that binds or a suitable substitute for the Mary Alice story, it isn't working. Woodard is one of our best actresses; but the story is far-fetched even for Wisteria Lane. And even if it weren't, her character is too peripheral for her plight to have much emotional impact on the four main housewives. She's barely a neighbor, let alone a friend.

Still, the season is young, and good shows often suffer from slow starts. The situation's troubling, yes. But desperate?

Not yet.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...usewives_x.htm
Old 10-10-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Agree 100% with the article.

The gimp storyline had better be something important in the wide scheme of things, or else it is a stupid waste of time and talent. I remember when Dynasty was on the air they actually dabbled with aliens for an ep., but that was near the end of the series when it was in its dark days. This show should be priming to reach its zenith right now, not fizzling already with ludicrous stories. The only gimmicky thing they could do on this show to spark my interest would be to have Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny move in to a house as a married couple, and maybe something else...
Old 10-10-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So far this year, there's no such link among these four women. Indeed, in three weeks we've hardly seen the four stars together. And they didn't share a scene last night at all.
This was a weak point for me as well. It's like four or five different shows mashed together.
Old 10-10-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The best thing they could do for this show, besides more scenes with the four housewives together, as others have said, is to find a way to expand Harriet Sansom Harris's role on the show. Her brief scene with Mike was the highlight of last night's episode for me. "Ever since Zach beat me and threw me down the stairs, we just haven't kept in touch like we used to."

While I'm curious to find out who Betty Applewhite has locked in the basement, I'm much more interested in the storyline regarding Rex's murder. I'm not at all convinced that it was George. My partner has a theory that it was actually Andrew, which would certainly make for an interesting twist.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 10-10-05 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-10-05, 11:38 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Andrew: "Mom, you're not capable of killing anyone."

Bree: "Thank you!"

Andrew: "That wasn't a compliment."

Old 10-10-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think they are writing the characters a bit too out there. Lynette spilling coffee on her bitchy boss to get out of a meeting? Haa haaaa. Funny.
Susan? I am liking her character less and less. Does she have anything better to do but obess about everyone else's life? I am not liking these Woman very much lately.
The best thing they could do for this show, besides more scenes with the four housewives together, as others have said, is to find a way to expand Harriet Sansom Harris's role on the show. Her brief scene with Mike was the highlight of last night's episode for me.
Agreed. She is pretty damn good in all her scenes. I'd like to see more of her.

The gimp storyline had better be something important in the wide scheme of things, or else it is a stupid waste of time and talent. I remember when Dynasty was on the air they actually dabbled with aliens for an ep
I think that was actually the Colbys.
Old 10-10-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not feeling the love here either. It seems from the lack of posts that the show isn't as popular on the forum as it once was either.

When it walks the line between drama and comedy, DH can be great; when it goes too far in either direction, it really doesn't work.
Old 10-10-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with movieking.

It's one thing to have Susan be a hopeless romantic who every now and then has an accident. It's another thing to turn her into a total dumb ass caricature whose actions are only to produce slapstick humor. Lynette's appeal was that she was a business genius who left the workplace for her family. The way they are playing it now one would think she didn't have the chops for that environment anyway and was better off at the house. Bree was known to make sly remarks at the drop of a hat that could shock you with their crude nature, especially coming from such a proper and beautiful woman. About the only one on the show who seems to be coming off in a positive light is Gaby, who really is my least favorite character in terms of depth, but I am glad they are finally giving her some.

In all honesty, I find the guys more amusing this season than the women.
Old 10-10-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RobCA
The best thing they could do for this show, besides more scenes with the four housewives together, as others have said, is to find a way to expand Harriet Sansom Harris's role on the show. Her brief scene with Mike was the highlight of last night's episode for me. "Ever since Zach beat me and threw me down the stairs, we just haven't kept in touch like we used to."

While I'm curious to find out who Betty Applewhite has locked in the basement, I'm much more interested in the storyline regarding Rex's murder. I'm not at all convinced that it was George. My partner has a theory that it was actually Andrew, which would certainly make for an interesting twist.

Rob
We saw the pharmacist replacing Rex's drugs so I could see that maybe the son poisoned him as well, but the pharmacist certainly is at least partially responsible. That was the whole point of him passing the lie detector. The guy is a sociopath.
Old 10-10-05, 08:56 PM

I agree that this season has started off extremely convoluted and not quite as interesting. The prisoner in the basement storyline is very far-fetched and doesn't capture my interest--though Alfre Woodard's cute son does. I'm thinking Gabrielle should give him a whirl while her husband is in prison. I missed the first episode--is she still pregnant?
Old 10-10-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Will Roger trip up? Obviously he's a sociopath, but I'm sure the writer will find a clever but unexpected way to shine the light of justice on him and his culpability in Rex's death.
Old 10-10-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My guess is that George will either slip up big time or we will get a flashback in which he is putting the poison into Rex's medicine and then throws it away unable to do it himself, which will leave the question: who did it? I think this would be a much greater season long mystery than the guy in the basement deal.
Old 10-10-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think George actually poisoned Rex, but instead replaced his needed heart medication with some other pills that weren't poisonous, but would make a heart condition worse. Phamacists know medicine as well as doctors do, so he would know exactly which pills would do this.
Old 10-10-05, 10:56 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Slightly off topic, but I just wanted to say, "Damn you TV Talk forum".

Before I starting hanging out in this subforum, I was only watching like 3 weekly shows (plus a lot of sports and DVDs of course).

But now, I keep discovering great television shows.

I was turned off by the initial promos of this show last year, I thought it would be just some trashy nighttime soap.

But all the talk (and the Target bonus DVD w/ recap episode) made me check this show out.

I love it. Another 45 minutes a week occupied...
Old 10-11-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wasn't it shown last season that he was replacing his medicine? Am I going crazy here that people are talking like that didn't happen?
Old 10-11-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Wasn't it shown last season that he was replacing his medicine? Am I going crazy here that people are talking like that didn't happen?
I haven't checked the discs, but if I remember correctly, we only saw George NOT give Rex his prescription when he came in to pick it up and told him it would be delivered to the house and then George throwing away the original pills. The assumption was that George switched the pills, but I don't remember seeing him actually do that. Anyone feel free to correct me!

As for this season, a big 100% agreement with USA Today. In addition, although Mary Alice is still narrating, it's like she really has very little to do with what's going on now, so why is she still talking? I think it's a device that they could lose. I NEVER thought I'd say this about this show, but I'm sort of bored this year.
Old 10-11-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am getting so close to deleting my season pass. Not sure what is going on with this show, but you can even tell on this forum that not much is going on with this show. For comparison look at the post count on the Lost thread.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.