Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Rome - "Pharsalus" - 10/09

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
I'm loving the show and all...but...does anyone else think it might be moving a little too fast?
I think the fast pace is in planning to finish the main story thread (up to JC's death) this season. I read that "Rome" was outrageously expensive -- about $100 million -- and that HBO couldn't afford many episodes regardless of how successful it was. So even if its just this season, it will be satisfying going through the one story completely. And as others have said, if HBO scrapes together more money for more seasons, there's lots more Roman history to go. Can you imagine how "Rome" would handle the Caligula years?
Old 10-11-05, 02:33 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
They've already ordered a second season
Old 10-11-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
I thought having Caesar point out how they were involved in the middle of everything so far was a nice touch
I agree. Otherwise we are to believe that Caesar can militarily and politically conquer the known world but fail to notice these same two soldiers keep popping up at every major turn of events.

Another solid episode. Great ending, even though I knew it was coming. That being said, the numerous male genetalia close-ups almost seem to be intentionally over done. "Hey, we're HBO! Look what we can do!" Whatever.
Old 10-11-05, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually people's reaction to the penis on here show just how different our views are from people during Roman time. I think that is the point they are trying to get across. If you look at Roman and Greek art you will see how much phallic symbols were used. Take a look at some of the frescos uncovered in Pompeii to see what i mean.

besides it is like you have never seen a cock before. Strange no one complained about that decapitation or a sword through the neck but a little (or not so little) penis gets everyone upset. Says a lot about our own societies hang ups I think.
Old 10-12-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by kaikara
Actually people's reaction to the penis on here show just how different our views are from people during Roman time. I think that is the point they are trying to get across. If you look at Roman and Greek art you will see how much phallic symbols were used. Take a look at some of the frescos uncovered in Pompeii to see what i mean.

besides it is like you have never seen a cock before. Strange no one complained about that decapitation or a sword through the neck but a little (or not so little) penis gets everyone upset. Says a lot about our own societies hang ups I think.

I agree, and everyone can just do what I did and explain to the wife what a freak he was with his "36 inch" penis. Now I am good as long as she never looks at a measuring tape or yard stick.
Old 10-13-05, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This crap over penises is pretty stupid. Someone can say something but it never matters as someone else thinks theres a reason. You dont like seeing them because your really gay and dont accept it, society isnt use to it like the Romans were, blah blah. Foolish jibberish.

Yea theres alot of cock. Anything wrong with it? No not really. HBO over doing it, zooming in on it, making sure its noticed and focused on and not implied or shown in passing; uhh yea. And THAT is fucking stupid. With the way women were treated, if they want to be realistic, they should show more women stripped down in full eagle spread fucking in the streets and beaten.

Nonetheless it was a good show. Though not showing any battles was a total cop out. But the beheading was awesome and well done. The ep also had great cinematography (not to mention music). I cant wait to see Cleopatra come out. That should be some hard core nudity with her as she was a total slut Who was that shaved head chick suppose to be? They sure showcased her dumb ass alot.

Last edited by Ravenous; 10-13-05 at 04:02 AM.