Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone actually think that the Mind of Mencia is funny?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-08-05, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't understand how this guy got his own show. Most of his jokes involve things that are so out of date like 9/11 and points out obvious obeservations like the president being dumb or the craze about tribal tatoos. I also hate the fact that he clearly thinks he is some sort of scholar by pointing out the punchline of his jokes to his audience since he thinks that most of them are to stupid to understand what he is trying to say, which they probably are since they took the time to watch him live. Also, whats up with his stupid facial expressions and saying "dee,dee, dee" all the time.
Further proof that Mencia sucks is that my 8 year nephew said that the Carlos Mencia Show is pretty funny. This is the same kid who doesn't like Iron Giant and loves movies that star Lil Bow Wow.
Old 10-08-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've watched a bit here and there when turning channels between better shows, and I never saw anything too special on it. I think Comedy Central is trying to find the next Chappell Show, and they are finding dry wells.

Another clunker on their schedule is that stupid David Spade show, I guess reprising his role from SNL news. The one episode I tired to watch likewise had outdated humor in it, stuff that was relevant in 99, much like his career might have meant something to people back in 99. It's like the guy cannot grow at all and develop new material.
Old 10-08-05, 05:47 PM
Political Exile

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't checked it out, but when he guested on the O&A show the other day I found him extremely unfunny. What especially added to that impression was that he laughs way too hard at his and other people's jokes. He has a very loud fake obnoxious sounding laugh.
Old 10-08-05, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by nano
Also, whats up with his stupid facial expressions and saying "dee,dee, dee" all the time.
He's a dee dee dee! I hate that noise, and the little jumping sliding scissor thing he does with his legs.

Google his name and George Lopez, I heard an interview with him where he said they got lawyers involved because he stole about ten minutes of George's act.

Joe Rogan's site has some funny video, too. I don't think Mencia is very highly regarded by other comedians.

Also, he's not even Mexican. His parents are from German and Honduras, and his name isn't even Carlos Mencia.

Last edited by CPT; 10-08-05 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-08-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard a routine of his on Sirius one day and I thought it was absolutely hilarious. I Tivo'd a comedy special on Comedy Central after that and it was one of the most unfunny things I ever watched. I guess he can go either way. I definatly wouldn't go to the local comedy club to see him though.
Old 10-09-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My 74 year old father loves it.
Old 10-09-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
I heard a routine of his on Sirius one day and I thought it was absolutely hilarious. I Tivo'd a comedy special on Comedy Central after that and it was one of the most unfunny things I ever watched. I guess he can go either way. I definatly wouldn't go to the local comedy club to see him though.
he was funny back in the day, now his style is TOTALY different. hes trying to hard to fit his "mexican" image.
Old 10-09-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
I saw one of the episodes a few days ago and thought it was pretty funny. Of course i'm a 23 year old kid that thinks The Iron Giant is overrated.
Old 10-09-05, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Me007gold
he was funny back in the day, now his style is TOTALY different. hes trying to hard to fit his "mexican" image.
I agree. I remember his Comedy Central special about 3 years ago where he ended it with saying we're all the same, be happy, etc. He talked about how some people in the towers on 9/11 left home angry because they thought they'd get another chance, how comics like to end on one big joke, but if you learn one thing from him.. (places mic in stand and walks away). Everyone applauded, which was BS. I know I'm a human and that I'm going to die, I watch Comedy Central to laugh. Comedians are here for just that purpose, not an NBC "The More You Know" PSA.

His message changed from that to "Dee dee dee". Funny beaner!
Old 10-09-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, he sucks.