SNL 10/8/05 - (H) Jon Heder (M) Ashlee Simpson

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 10/8/05 - (H) Jon Heder (M) Ashlee Simpson

Old 10-09-05, 11:48 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ketamine
Agreed, but they do some things with it in the studio to make it sound better. That wasn't the case this time though it is possible that it was recorded and not mixed to sound better in order to make it sound "live" though I see no benefit of doing that. There is no way that they would risk another situation like the last time on SNL. They were going to have her sing on stage no matter what. As a result, we got the "opportunity" to hear her real voice last night.
IMO there were just unnatural moments during the song, moments where in a live performance you would hear breaths and whatnot. It was all too mechanical. It wasn't good, but it still sounded filtered or processed somehow. Perhaps she really was singing live but they had some sort of "live processing" going on at the soundboard level, but it still wasn't normal.

And if you want to hear her real voice, check out the halftime clip of (I think) the Orange Bowl where she was booed off the stage.
Old 10-09-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by THX7966
Absolutely pitiful show. And was there even ONE genuine laugh from the studio audience? Seemed mostly like that nervous, forced, I-waited-10-years-for- tickets-guess-I-should-laugh-at-something laughter. If this is their best material, I would hate to see the sketches that get cut.
Everytime I watch this show I can't help but be embarrassed for the studio audience.
Old 10-09-05, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ashlee Simpson sounded horrible. I don't think I've ever heard a voice sound so sonically dull before, sounds like Papa Joe was riding the controls---just awful.

What's to say about this show. I only laughed twice, at the very beginning of the Tim Calhoun sketch and at Fercito. Odd, odd cast, it's like they're waiting for
one batch to hit the exits and they're stunned that one or two of them are actually still on there.
Old 10-09-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
IMO there were just unnatural moments during the song, moments where in a live performance you would hear breaths and whatnot. It was all too mechanical. It wasn't good, but it still sounded filtered or processed somehow. Perhaps she really was singing live but they had some sort of "live processing" going on at the soundboard level, but it still wasn't normal.

And if you want to hear her real voice, check out the halftime clip of (I think) the Orange Bowl where she was booed off the stage.
There are various hardware boxes that you can have for a live performance that will on the spot vocal correct when you give the box the range of notes you will be singing in the song. I don't think she was lipping or even used one of those since that first song sounded horrible.

The second song did not require much singing at all, it is just like you are talking. And when she did have to sing out, when she did the chorus, something like "Hey yeah boyfriend" she went out of tune.
Old 10-09-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only laughed at the Black-Eyed Peas and the Taco. (No, I'm not talking about Ashlee Simpson.)
Old 10-09-05, 01:33 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nightwing82
There are various hardware boxes that you can have for a live performance that will on the spot vocal correct when you give the box the range of notes you will be singing in the song. I don't think she was lipping or even used one of those since that first song sounded horrible.

The second song did not require much singing at all, it is just like you are talking. And when she did have to sing out, when she did the chorus, something like "Hey yeah boyfriend" she went out of tune.
But I'll say it again... her real voice actually sounds worse. I happened to see the footage from her reality show when she was recording her first album, the pure unretouched stuff. It made her SNL vocals last night sound like frickin' Aretha Franklin.
Old 10-09-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is the Black Eyed Peas sketch available to view anywhere online, such as NBC.com? I missed it since I turned off SNL at 12:50 when Ashley Simpson began her second song and figured there would be no more sketches after that.
Old 10-09-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, that was pretty terrible. Heder was an awful host. Ashlee Simpson isn't a singer, but that's no surprise. "Musical" guests are usually awful.

Taco Town made me laugh as did the bit about the Black Eyed Peas whoring themselves out everywhere. I may have smiled during Fericito too. Something about that sketch is funny even if it's one-note.

das
Old 10-09-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
You know that they actually think the show is good when they didnt feature the new impression guy once, just some bit roles.

WTF do they have to lose, and from what I see of him, he could be a star
Old 10-09-05, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
This was a spectacular show that does not deserve the bashing it's getting. Heder was a a good sport and hit all of his cues with perfect comic timing and tone. Ashlee proved that she can indeed sing without machines faking the performance. This episode is high encourgement that we are in for a fantastic season.

I'm just keeeeding! Aye Dios Mio!
Old 10-09-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 10-09-05, 08:05 PM

GuessWho, You got a laugh out of me greater than any I got from SNL this season.

Good post
Old 10-09-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

GuessWho, . Brilliant.

das
Old 10-09-05, 08:54 PM

wow last night was unfunny and boring..........
Old 10-09-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts
I liked the Napolean spoof, the blind date (only because my company uses one of those automated phone systems, and she sucks), and the Black Eyed Peas. I kind of liked the breakout of Big Butt on WU. And, Hammond's Clinton is always welcomed.

The rest sucked. I fell asleep after WU, and watched the rest on TiVo. Heder was just bad.
Old 10-09-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i liked the news update. When she said "12 million people tuned in for a new episode of lost" then points towards to a picture of president Bush.

You could really tell big time how often Heder was reading his cues.
Old 10-10-05, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by maingon
Yeah he was, but it didn't bother me all that much. I usually expect the guest host to be a shitty card reader. Even DeNiro was obvious. What got me last night was how many of the actual cast members, who are supposedly pros at live sketch comedy, kept searching for the cards. That one new guy in the middle of the funeral bit was more obvious than most of the hosts I've seen. But anyway...maybe they had just written the thing and hadn't practiced it much.

At least Ashlee didn't lip-synch, but did anyone think she actually would? I figured even if she cracked every note or got hoarse halfway through she would try to croak it out live this time. Luckily she sounded fine and her band (once again) was pretty solid. I like how she felt the need to do the little talk bit beforehand, just to prove her mike was on. She didn't move around a lot, so no worries of getting out of breath. Too bad she'll never live down the lip-synching disaster, though, because she can sing live, even if it doesn't sound all that great. Even on record her voice has a kinda rough feel, which I guess is supposedly part of her "i'm not Jessica" image.

Every time I look at Ashlee's face, especially when she smudges on the black eyeliner, I see Tre Cool from Green Day. Forget the hair....look at the faces. Especially from the side. The nose, the chin, even the smile at times. Am I the only one who sees a slight resemblance? Sorry Tre.
Old 10-10-05, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

show was ok I guess... I don't expect a lot from SNL anymore but I watch being they have a few funny moments here or there.. I loved the skit about the company party that went to far with the rants everyone did etc..

Ashlee sounded horrible as I expected her too. She has no biz being a singer, at all.. Just off key talked her way past the last song..

on a plus note, the HD on SNL is just great.. I expected as much from NBC and this sort of well lit low motion show.. Almost too much detail as you can see the wig lines etc.. Still, should be nice once we get a guest we want to see in HD.

example just for those that still can't get HD..

oh and just in case anyone needs to win a disturbing wallpaper contest any time in the next few weeks.. from an ad that ran during the show.. AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-05, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by maingon
I think he even got a few nervous laughs when he screwed up and tried to (very poorly) cover up his mistakes.
Old 10-10-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
They really should retire the "Kaitlyn" skit character.
I fast forwarded through that. I hate those skits
this wolf one sucks balls too. especially the cue card reading by that moron

the taco commercial made me really hungry. at least up to the 3rd layer or so. then it was just over the top

Last edited by mikehunt; 10-10-05 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-10-05, 09:35 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
Still, should be nice once we get a guest we want to see in HD.
Two weeks... Catherine Zeta-Jones.
Old 10-10-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
the frist delay thing was good.
Old 10-10-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
Catherine Zeta-Jones and Franz Ferdinand...
so a zombie will be the musical guest and WW1 will break out?
Old 10-10-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
So Amy, you wearing a bra?

Um, yeah Lorne.

What the hell for?
just got to that part
Old 10-10-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
man, the new guys were everywhere!

which to me, might not be a bad thing. I like Hader, the impression guy. And for some reason samberg seems like he'll get me to laugh. I cracked up when he showed up with the mustache. That sketch could have been funny... but really wasn't.

the black-eyed peas commercial was by far the best. man, was that good.

the taco one was funny, too, but hey, great move with interrupting it!

SNL does NOT know how to end sketches. nothing has a payoff. i know it's been that way for a while, but come on. the payoff of the funeral thing is a commercial? the payoff of the mustache skit is "hey, let's go to a party". WTF?

and i fastforwarded through ashlee. ESPECIALLY after she said "I wrote this after my last experience on Saturday Night Live"

WU... again, sanz is HORRIBLE. the appearance by lorne was good, but that's about it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.