Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

TVTalk Draft Game…Voting Round 1…Open to all!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TVTalk Draft Game…Voting Round 1…Open to all!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Das Monkey (the one, two punch of Firefly and Sports Night were the clincher)
2. B.A. (very tough choice, but Scrubs and House sealed the deal)
3. Cleaver
4. mdc3000 (great lineup Mitsurugi and good luck!)
5. Likimok
6. Mhepburn20 (1 word: LOST)
7. TripleS (not a trekkie)
8. Apeyard (sweet's 24 is a fave of mine, but Entourage, Sopranos, WW and Freaks are among the best seasons of TV I've ever seen)

MATT
Old 10-07-05, 01:15 PM

Jimmy James
ryuryu2949
cleaver
mdc3000
jfrost
Mhepburn20
Triple S
apeyard
Old 10-07-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) das Monkey- Hard to vote against Newsradio and Wonderfalls, but B5 trumps all. The rest of his lineup doesn't suck, either.
2) ryuryu2949- Gets the nod as I haven't seen most of B.A.'s picks, and he had the foresight to give the description of Seinfeld to one of the best episodes of the whole series.
3) Damfino- Both strong contenders, but Cleaver's Cheers and SNL picks don't do much for me. The preemptive Lost pick is a bit... eh.
4) Mitsurigi- Good lineup sealed by the Married... with Children pick.
5) Lokimok- The competitor's HBO-centric lineup turned me off, plus good Curb Your Enthusiasm and Gilmore Girls picks.
6) scott27
7) tanman
8) apeyard- Hard one. Went with the lineup where I've seen the most shows.

Last edited by TracerBullet; 10-07-05 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-07-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Round 1: das by a hair. Both of them had a couple of blah picks thrown in w/ some great ones, but the inclusion of the A-Team completely trumps Letterman (of course).

Round 2: No offense, but I win in a landslide.

Round 3: cleaver's first two picks are better than any of his opponents, imo.

Round 4: mdc3000 wins easily.

Round 5: jfrost wins because of Deadwood, E.R. and MacGuyver.

Round 6: scott27 wins because he had the foresight to take All in the Family before I was able to pick it, and that really put him over the top.

Round 7: Triple S wins easily because of his first three selections.

Round 8: apeyard simply blows his opponent out of the water.

And I say horseshit to all of the players who received BYE weeks.

Last edited by B.A.; 10-07-05 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-07-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1. Jimmy James

2. ryuryu2949

3. cleaver

4. Mitsurugi

5. Lokimok

6. scott27

7. Tanman

8. Sweet Baby James
Old 10-07-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B.A.
And I say horseshit to all of the players who received BYE weeks.
Since I never expected to even make it to the second round, I'll take all the charity I can get.
Old 10-07-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Damfino- Both strong contenders, but Cleaver's Cheers and SNL picks don't do much for me. The preemptive Lost pick is a bit... eh.
Have you seen either the King Tut sketch or the episode of Cheers where Cliff goes on Jeopardy, because those might be the 2 funniest things ever televised.
Old 10-07-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. das Monkey - I like Newsradio and Oz, but they just can't compete against Babylon season 3. Nothing can. Plus he has Homicide and Sports Night.

2. B.A. - NYPD Blue rocked in season 1.

3. cleaver - I'll go with cleaver.

4. Mitsurugi - Uhh... just because.

5. jfrost - I like the HBO lineup.

6. Mhepburn20 - Hmm. Lost was the tie breaker on this one.

7. Tanman - Doh! Voting against Newsradio again!. But I have to give credit where credit is due and DS9 kicks ass.

8. Sweet Baby James - More a vote against Sopranos. The way they've strung it out for soooo many years has really turned me off. It's a great show, but not that great. Stick with a normal TV season like "lesser" shows do!
Old 10-07-05, 02:33 PM

Okay, as ryu has done in the DVD games before, time to jump in here and defend my selections. Here is what my lineup would be if I as a network programmer arranged it:

Mhepburn20
Sunday: Futurama, Season 4 ("Where No Fan has Gone Before", Nearly the entire cast of Star Trek: The Original Series, "Roswell that Ends Well")
Monday: West Wing, Season 3 ("Manchester I & II", "Bartlett for America", "Dead Irish Writers", "Black Vera Wang" and "Posse Comitatus")
Tuesday: My So-Called Life, The Complete Series ("So Called Angels", "Pilot", "Life of Brian", "Betrayal", "In Dreams Begins Responsibilites")
Wednesday: Lost, Season 1 ("Pilot", "Tabula Rasa", "Walkabout", every episode aired except for three)
Thursday: The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Season 6 ("Chuckles Bites the Dust", Ted and Georgette get married guest: John Ritter, "Lou Proposes")
Friday: Farscape, Season 3 (Two Crichtons, "Different Destinations", "Infinite Possibilites", "The Choice", "Into the Lion's Den": Scorpious's command, "Dog With Two Bones")
Saturday: Mystery Science Theater 3000, Season 4 ("Attack of the Giant Leeches", "Manos Hands of Fate", "Hercules Against the Moonmen", "Attack of the killer Shrews")
My main goal was to try and cover a slew of different genres in an attempt to gain viewers attracted to all the different types of shows typically found on the television market. I tried to have an even split between comedies and dramas (or as even as possible given the odd number of selections).

On Sunday I decided to go with Futurama given the success Fox and Cartoon Network have had with animation during primetime on Sunday evenings, plus the show is brilliant, often soaring above it's sibling, The Simpsons, Futurama told the story of a guy out of time and in season 4 all of it came together in several brilliant episodes including one in which Fry becomes his own grandfather.

On Monday I've got a dramedy. The beginning of the work week seems a perfect time to put something that can make you laugh but also be incredibly serious at the same time. This season of The West Wing is one where CJ really begins to shine including her tragic "fling" with her bodygaurd.

On Tuesday I put a coming of age drama. This really was the hardest show to place but given the early success of Buffy and Angel on Tuesday nights I thought this night seemed to work. Originally this would have been The Wonder Years, but when that was selected by another I decided to pick the classic cancelled show, My So-Called Life. MSCL dealt with teen situations more realistically than many of it's predecessors. It wasn't just about pretty people and their problems. There were alcoholics, runaways, etc.

On Wednesday I stuck with Lost. Why change something that seems to be working so well. Lost is my current fave of the new renaissance of television and it seemed to work within my lineup fulfilling the fantasy/mystery genre.

On Thursday I've put a traditional sitcom, but rather than go with a newer show I selected one of the greats, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. This particular season features what TV Guide called the #1 best episode of a show, "Chuckles Bites the Dust." I don't know if it is the absolute best episode of any television show ever, but it is my all time favorite sitcom episode.

On Friday nights, sci fi seems to be the soup du jour and how can you go wrong with Farscape, especially the season that finally brought Crichton and Aeryn together only to... (kept spoiler free). This season also brings wraps up a key storyline (Talyn) in one of the most dramatic episodes of scence fiction since Sleeping in Light (babylon 5).

Finally on Saturday I wanted to go with a movie of the week type program and there is none funnier than Mystery Science Theater 3000. Season 4 is one of the Joel Years' best featuring the amazingly terrible movie, Manos Hands of Fate as well as the Hercules movies, and the Attack of the Giant Leeches.

Overall I managed to select all of my preferred genres: sitcom, sci-fi, fantasy/mystery, dramedy, Coming-of-age drama, and animated comedy. I tried to pick the best examples of these genres with the best seasons of those shows and in most cases, I think I succeeded. Hopefully, you agree.
Old 10-07-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

1 das
2 2949
3 cleaver
4 mdc
5 jfrost
6 hepburn
7 SSS
8 apeyard
Old 10-07-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cleaver
Have you seen either the King Tut sketch or the episode of Cheers where Cliff goes on Jeopardy, because those might be the 2 funniest things ever televised.
I've seen both of those, but I've never found the King Tut sketch all that funny. Cheers I pretty much hate. That said, I did have a difficult time choosing.
Old 10-07-05, 03:04 PM

1. das
2. b.a.
3. cleaver
4. mdc3000
5. jfrost
6. mhepburn20
7. triple s
8. sweet baby james
Old 10-07-05, 03:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
1. Jimmy James
2. B.A.
3. Damfino
4. Mitsurugi
5. Lokimok
6. scott27
7. Tanman
8. Sweet Baby James

Some tough decisions there, as there are many excellent line-ups.
Old 10-07-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

1. dasMonkey - Sports Night just might be the second best show ever aired, and then you add B5, Firefly, Homicide (awesome pick), and The Wonder Years? Game over, man.

2. B.A. - Tough choice. In the end, Scrubs is better than anything on ryu's list, so B.A. gets the nod here.

3. cleaver - The best season of a great animated show, and my favorite current show. TAR is strong, but not enough to beat out the ones I mentioned. Pretty easy choice.

4. mdc3000 - Hard choice, but again, Scrubs and Prison Break trump anything Mitsurugi picked.

5. jfrost - Dead Like Me, ER when it didn't suck, MacGyver (!)...Might be a little drama heavy for later rounds, but a relatively easy win for this round.

6. Mhepburn20 - Lost trumps the second best season of The Simpsons.

7. Triple S - To be honest, that pick of WWF Raw carried this whole match. Arguably the best year in the history of the company. Too much Star Trek going on in the other lineup.

8. apeyard - Freaks and Geeks is the greatest show of all-time, with the greatest episode of television I've ever seen. PTI is the best sports-talk show of all-time. 24 Season 4 was the worst of the bunch, so this was an easy pick.

dasMonkey and apeyard are going to be very hard to beat.

Last edited by Quake1028; 10-07-05 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-07-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I feel bad for whoever runs into the das monkey buzzsaw. Sorry Jimmy James. I feel you'll be just one of many, though.
Old 10-07-05, 04:34 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Jimmy James - This was easy for me since Jimmy James actually has my second favorite lineup after my own of course. Also I still haven't managed to force myself to watch anymore B5 or SN and of course I still hate das for taking JS2.
2. ryuryu2949
3. cleaver
4. mdc3000 - mdc chose the wrong season for each show imo, but I didn't like the other lineup
5. lokimok
6. scott27 - I like mhepburn's explanation and I hate to vote against the only other Herskovitz/Zwick show in the tourney, but scott has 4 of my all-time favorite shows on his list vs. only 1 of my all-time favorites on mhepburn's
7. triple s
8. apeyard

Last edited by nny; 10-07-05 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-07-05, 06:12 PM

1. Jimmy James

2. BA

3. Cleaver

4. mdc3000

5. Lokimok My favorite line up out of the fifteen line-ups that aren't mine this round.

6. Mhepburn20

7. Triple S

8. apeyard
Old 10-07-05, 06:23 PM

1. Das - I'm not a fan of all his Sci-Fi but Sports Night is one of the 3 best shows ever on TV and Wonder Years S4 was great
2. B.A. - Scrubs and Nip/Tuck barely beat out Seinfeld
3. Cleaver - Simpson's and Cheers carried it
4. mdc3000 - AD, Scrubs and Rescue Me are 3 of my favorites
5. jfrost - too much HBO but I like the Deadwood and ER S1 picks
6. scott27 - I love Lucy and Monorail win it
7. Triple S - Not crazy about either lineup but Chapelle and News Radio pull it out over too much Trek
8. apeyard - Probably the best lineup in the group

I'm glad I didn't get a bye, I don't want to get rusty over the weekend.

Last edited by apeyard; 10-07-05 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-07-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1. Jimmy James vs. das Monkey
2. ryuryu2949 vs. B.A.
3. Damfino vs. cleaver
4. Mitsurugi vs. mdc3000
5. jfrost vs. Lokimok
6. scott27 vs. Mhepburn20
7. Triple S vs. Tanman
8. apeyard vs. Sweet Baby James
Old 10-07-05, 07:11 PM
Cool New Member

das Monkey
B.A.
cleaver
mdc3000
jfrost
Mhepburn20
Triple S
Sweet Baby James
Old 10-07-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It looks like the matchup between das and I is at 20-9 in favor of das. In one way, I'm happy to have so many votes. In another, I'm bummed that I'm already done. That's the way tournaments are, though.

In a slightly different spirit than Mhepburn20's, I think now is a good time to go over my lineup and talk about my strategy. This is less about defending my lineup than about mourning it.

In setting up my lineup, I wanted to go with a nice, traditional TV mix of comedy, drama, and variety. I wanted to avoid reality at all costs. I think I did what I aimed to do, and I'd be very happy with my network.

We're in the midst of a sitcom drought, but I think they're a necessary building block of any schedule. There is nothing I hate more than the so-so sitcom, so it was vital to me that I go after the top quality stuff. To me, that means Newsradio and Seinfeld.

Newsradio is my favorite show of all time (see the screen name) because it combined so many great sitcom traits into one package. The cast was a great mix of veterans and fresh faces. The writing cracked with absurdism, and it was a workplace comedy, the hardest but most rewarding of the sitcom locales. I wanted season 3, but it was wisely snatched up by another competitor. The season 2 versus 4 problem was brutal, but the presence of Lauren Graham decided it.

While I love Newsradio, I believe there was no finer single season of a comedy than season 4 of Seinfeld. The continuing storyline involving Jerry, the pilot George and Jerry create, was nothing short of brilliant if you ask me. It was during this season that people started noticing the show. I actually saw the very first airing of The Seinfeld Chronicles, and I chatted up anybody I could about the show in those days. Back in those days, I felt like this show was my baby. There was, in short, no way I could possibly start my slate off any other way.

On the drama front, I like things serialized and funny. Veronica Mars is the best new show since The Shield in my book. It gets little support due to the network it airs on and their total lack of compatible programming, but I know nobody who has sampled the show without getting hooked. What Veronica does for the more serious side of drama, Wonderfalls did for the "drama in name only" sort of hourlong program. Oz stretches the limits of what TV can be if you ask me, and Dallas gives my schedule a bona fide soap opera with some of the best twists and turns in soap history.

Late Night was my final pick, and it may be the one I liked best. I remember the early days of Letterman. It wasn't the slick sort of show it was even as early as season 5, but it was truly revolutionary. Johnny Carson had a great thing going, but it relied totally on him for its success because his hourlong night-talker needed somebody with more or less exactly his skills to work. It was Dave who found a way to turn the format on its ear just enough to keep some small group of people up way past when they should have been. If it weren't for Dave, we wouldn't have five of these shows on network TV right now. When you add to all of that one of Andy Kaufman's highest highs, I could think of no finer way to end the week.

I know I'll be a spectator from here on out, but I think this is the sort of eulogy I needed to get off my chest. I'll enjoy voting and seeing who wins, but I don't think I could possibly enjoy it as much as I enjoyed putting this lineup together.

Thanks for the great idea and for seeing it through, Groucho.
Old 10-07-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
1. Jimmy James vs. das Monkey
2. ryuryu2949 vs. B.A.
3. Damfino vs. cleaver
4. Mitsurugi vs. mdc3000
5. jfrost vs. Lokimok
6. scott27 vs. Mhepburn20
7. Triple S vs. Tanman
8. apeyard vs. Sweet Baby James
Old 10-07-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. Jimmy James
2. ryuryu2949
3. Damfino
4. Mitsurugi
5. Lokimok
6. scott27
7. Tanman
8. Sweet Baby James
Old 10-07-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1. Jimmy James (I hate to vote against Sports Night, but there just wasn't enough in das' line-up to back it up. Plus, NewsRadio is a very worthy competitor for Sports Night)
2. B.A.
3. cleaver (as much as I think it's too early for Lost season 2 to be up there, I'm not a fan of Star Trek or reality TV - and that's nearly half of Damfino's lineup.)
4. Mitsurugi
5. Lokimok
6. scott27
7. Triple S (again, relying too much on Trek, Tanman)
8. Sweet Baby James
Old 10-07-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lordwow
I like Scott's mixture of older shows along with newere ones, a bit heavy on the comedy though
That was my main concern - getting a nice mix of older classics with newer, more recent series. I think I was focusing too much on that aspect of my lineup that I didn't even realize I had picked that much comedy. If I noticed that, I would have picked other genres for my newer shows because most of the classic stuff I enjoy is comedy (with TZ being an exception), but with current (and more recent shows), I do have more of a mixture.

But I do think that lack of genre variety will hurt me - if not in this round, then definitely later on.

Last edited by scott27; 10-07-05 at 10:23 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.