DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   FX 2nd season comedies -- 1 up, 1 down (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/440682-fx-2nd-season-comedies-1-up-1-down.html)

veloce 10-07-05 08:30 AM

FX 2nd season comedies -- 1 up, 1 down

I like Philadelphia, but I really like Starved.

This half sucks!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/1...eut/index.html

Chew 10-07-05 08:36 AM

I'm happy. The one I watch got renewed. :)

Red Dog 10-07-05 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Chew

Same here. :D

Geofferson 10-07-05 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Chew

Same. :up:

nny 10-07-05 09:32 AM

Man, I'm really sad about this. While Philly started off much better than Starved, by the end of their run, I was loving Starved and I felt Philly didn't live up to it's first couple episodes. I hated how FX promoted Starved. It's ridiculous that they made a big deal about it being a comedy when it wasn't any more of a comedy than Rescue Me. I wonder if Starved had been an hourlong if it would have survived.

boogieman03 10-07-05 09:35 AM

Well I think both should of been renewed, but I'm happy at least Sunny was coming back. It did have some really funny moments.

B.A. 10-07-05 09:36 AM

Sweet. I quit watching Starved because I wasn't feeling it. Great news for us Sunny fans. :beer:

Red Dog 10-07-05 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by nny
I hated how FX promoted Starved.

I'm no marketing genius, but I'm not exactly sure how one would go about effectively promoting a show about people who stuff and purge. ;)

I thought F/X promoted Starved pretty well. I didn't like it because 1) I was kind of grossed out by it, 2) I had no sympathy for the characters and 3) I didn't know what the show was trying to be. #3 was the same problem I had with Lucky.

Jadzia 10-07-05 09:59 AM

I was going to drop both from my Season Pass line-up when I realized there was only one episode left of each, so I finished out the seasons. But I won't be watching Sunny when it comes back. There were a few laughs at first, but often I felt the "idea" of some of the situations were funnier sounding than the actual execution. I also never really clicked with any of the characters.

I was probably more interested in Starved. That show frustrated me but it was such an unusual show.

MrX 10-07-05 11:34 AM

Great news about Philly:up:

I dropped Starved after the 2nd episode.

mikewendt 10-07-05 02:41 PM

Good news... I never watched Starved, so I have no frame of reference. But I got into Philadelphia with the last two episodes, very funny...

Phodg 10-07-05 02:44 PM

I'm glad Philly is coming back. Shame about Starved but as someone else said I didn't like any of the characters. So if I had to choose I'd pick Philly.

ClarkKentKY 10-07-05 03:46 PM

:up:

I was going to dump starved if it got renewed anyway. I didn't see a reason to keep watching.

spainlinx0 10-08-05 12:28 AM

I'm a little disappointed because I felt the season finale of Starved was the best episode of the show, but if one had to go I enjoyed watching Philly more.

Chaza 10-08-05 12:56 AM

Philly is a great show, glad it got renewed. Starved was ok, but nothing I'd rewatch or get upset over not having new eps.

DJLinus 10-24-05 10:13 AM

I just heard this news and it makes me very happy. I absolutely love "Sunny" and would think (hope) they'd release a first season DVD set to promote the second season.

"Starved" getting canned is kind of a let-down, though, because I enjoyed that show, too. Just not quite as much.

Maybe fans can persuade a studio to make a "Starved" movie a la "Firefly." :)

Geofferson 11-17-05 12:40 PM

Danny DeVito has been cast in season 2 of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. :up:

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/200...D8DUAAO01.html

Danny DeVito to Return to Small Screen

Nov 17, 10:44 AM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - Danny DeVito - who hasn't starred in a TV series since "Taxi" ended its run in 1983 - will return to the small screen next year in the FX comedy "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia."

"Getting the news from FX that our show got a second season pickup was fantastic," said series creator Rob McElhenney in a statement Wednesday. "Getting the news that Danny has signed on to co-star feels like we just hit the lottery."

DeVito will play a retiree who has moved back to Philadelphia to spend time with his children.

The series' second season is set to debut in June. DeVito, 61, will co-star in all 10 episodes. He will be able to shoot his scenes within a period of 10 to 15 days, the network said.

"Taxi" began its run in 1978. DeVito played Louie De Palma, a New York City dispatcher who bullied and insulted his drivers.

After the series ended, he turned his attention to producing ("Get Shorty,""Man on the Moon") and directing ("Throw Momma From the Train,""The War of the Roses,""Hoffa").

His screen credits include roles in "Romancing the Stone,""Twins" and "Batman Returns."

GameGenie 11-17-05 07:09 PM

I love its always sunny in philadelphia, thats definently my fav show currently on tv. Im so glad its coming back. I thought starved was good but i figured it would get the shaft so i didnt get too attached.

Phil L. 11-17-05 08:07 PM

Happy that Sunny in Phila is coming back but I really liked Starved.

A few months ago I was in a convienience store in Boston waiting in line to pay for something when I spotted a tray of Nemos cakes. I almost lost it right there. :D

invisiblegt 11-17-05 08:40 PM

June? Damn... I loved that show, but I don't like the fact that I have to wait nearly 8 months.