DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Veronica Mars -- "Driver Ed" -- 10/05/05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/440420-veronica-mars-driver-ed-10-05-05-a.html)

LorenzoL 10-05-05 06:17 AM

Veronica Mars -- "Driver Ed" -- 10/05/05

"Driver Ed"
Spoiler:
Veronica helps grieving people determine whether one of their family committed suicide; Wallace offers to help the new transfer student figure out who damaged her car.

Cast: Kristen Bell, Percy Daggs III , Teddy Dunn, Jason Dohring, Francis Capra, Enrico Colantoni, Sydney Tamiia Poitier, Tessa Thompson, Kyle Gallner, Ryan Hansen , Alona Tal, Duane Daniels, Charisma Carpenter, Michael Muhney, Steve Guttenberg, Meredith Roberts , Lee Ann Kim , Lauren Krause , Ari Graynor, Michael Len .
Director(s): Nick Marck.
Producer(s): Joel Silver, Rob Thomas.
Writer(s): Diane Ruggiero.

Original Airdate: October 5, 2005.

Gizmo 10-05-05 09:54 AM

Can't wait!

Don't forget, Kevin Smith will be guest-starring tonight!

If anyone likes spoilers...apartently
Spoiler:
Mac will be back for episode 4 as well as 9. After that, she may appear in a few more!

Jimmy James 10-05-05 11:02 AM

This may be one of mankind's few shots to see Kevin not playing either himself wearing one of his "shooters" or as Silent Bob. It will be nice to see him in some other outfit.

Jimmy James 10-05-05 08:23 PM

Kevin Smith definitely didn't disappoint. :)

Ghostface180 10-05-05 09:08 PM

Can someone please describe, in spoilers, what happened during the first ten minutes of the show? I got back from class late and the VCR didn't start recording until 9:10 for some reason.

Thanks

LorenzoL 10-05-05 10:01 PM

After the amazing season premiere, I thought this episode was average at best and felt like a filler.

Didn't particular care about Kevin Smith guest appearance, the new girl playing the daughter of the baseball player and the whole mystery of the bus driver "suicide". Although is nice to see Daddy Mars run for sheriff again.

Nice to see Wallace solve a mystery by himself and who was the girl that Logan was with when Veronica was leaving the appartment since Kendall was out with her husband. Daddy Casablancas has a "psycho" vibe all over him.

LorenzoL 10-05-05 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ghostface180
Can someone please describe, in spoilers, what happened during the first ten minutes of the show? I got back from class late and the VCR didn't start recording until 9:10 for some reason.

Thanks

What was the first scene that you saw?

Gizmo 10-05-05 10:07 PM

Looks like baseball may interupt VM this week. Stupid game.

Jimmy James 10-05-05 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Looks like baseball may interupt VM this week. Stupid game.

Why would baseball interrupt VM? :confused:

Jimmy James 10-05-05 10:13 PM

I don't really see how this episode was filler. To me, it seemed like it advanced the primary storyline quite nicely while setting up several smaller storylines for the next several episodes to deal with.

NitroJMS 10-05-05 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Nice to see Wallace solve a mystery by himself and who was the girl that Logan was with when Veronica was leaving the appartment since Kendall was out with her husband. Daddy Casablancas has a "psycho" vibe all over him.

I'm 99% positive that was Kendall he was with. The voice sounded exactly like Charisma Carpenter's.

Jimmy James 10-05-05 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
I'm 99% positive that was Kendall he was with. The voice sounded exactly like Charisma Carpenter's.

How did it work out that way, though? She was out with the husband that night, right? That's the question on my mind.

LorenzoL 10-05-05 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I don't really see how this episode was filler. To me, it seemed like it advanced the primary storyline quite nicely while setting up several smaller storylines for the next several episodes to deal with.

Now that's where we disagree since I didn't think that this episode hardly advanced the primary storyline. We found out that the town blame the bus driver, Veronica is feeling guilty, responsible and happy about the crash and that Meg was the only survivor. Did I miss anything else???

However, in regards to the side stories, I'm 100% agreement with you.

Jimmy James 10-05-05 10:32 PM

Now that's where we disagree since I didn't think that this episode hardly advanced the primary storyline. We found out that the town blame the bus driver, Veronica is feeling guilty, responsible and happy about the crash and that Meg was the only survivor. Did I miss anything else???

However, in regards to the side stories, I'm 100% agreement with you.

We found out that the bus driver wasn't responsible, and we got the shocking "Veronica Mars" palm. I'm guessing the difference here comes from the weight we're giving the bus driver. Eliminating him seems like a big step to me.

Ghostface180 10-05-05 10:44 PM

What was the first scene that you saw?

I started taping in the middle of Keith's conversation with Steve Guttenberg.

LorenzoL 10-05-05 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ghostface180
I started taping in the middle of Keith's conversation with Steve Guttenberg.

Here is a rough summary:

Spoiler:
The scene starts with Veronica at the cafe talking about how many seconds the people in the bus had before they realized that they were plunging to their death and said their prayers to God. However, one prayer was answered and we find out that somehow Meg survived the crash. Duncan comes by to see how Veronica is holding up and she ask him about Meg. She's still in a coma and breathing through a respirator. While Duncan and Veronica are talking, the daughter of the baseball player comes to the counter and ask Veronica in a snobbish manner to get her a coffee and furthermore proceed to insult her by telling Duncan that he can do much better than her. Veronica doesn't take kindly to this and gives her the hand to shut her up.
Next scene is at the Sheriff office where he's having a press conference and being drilled with questions in regards to the bus crash and if they have any leads. Woody (Steve Guttembergh) is watching from the back and shows a disapproving face the way the sheriff is handling the press.

Next scene, Veronica arrives at the school and goes to the girl washroom where a girl is waiting for her. She's the daughter of the bus driver and she wants Veronica to prove that her father did not commit suicide and prove the town, press and police wrong. Also it has something to do with the insurance not paying the policy in case of suicide. Veronica says no at first but after seeing the daughter punch another girl out in the washroom for making fun of her and her dad, Veronica agrees to take the case.

Opening credits.

After the credits, the next scene, we see Veronica at the scene of the bus crash. There's a lot of people putting flowers for the dead. Also at the scene is the daughter and she comments how her father is being forgotten and that nobody is putting flowers for him. People glared at the daughter and Veronica takes her away from the scene.

Gizmo 10-05-05 11:04 PM

Baseball still on! It said earleir Americas Top Model will be re-run on Saturday. Fucking Baseball

Jcheckel 10-05-05 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
How did it work out that way, though? She was out with the husband that night, right? That's the question on my mind.

She was with him at a banquet at the Neptune Grand, which happens to be the hotel Duncan was staying at, and also the # Veronica called information for. So, she snuck up there to meet with Logan.

Gizmo 10-06-05 12:53 AM

If anyone can point me in the direction as to where I may be able to see this episode....Let me know

Doc MacGyver 10-06-05 04:17 AM

Not to be a pain in the ass to you guys, but I've been considering giving this show a go on dvd as a blind buy. I admit I know little about it, but other tv junkies I trust tell me how good it is in passing, and i just can't relate it to anything. Any chance you guys could convince me, or at least give me a gist of what I'd be getting into?

Thanks in advance.

Doc

Count Dooku 10-06-05 06:57 AM

Why would baseball interrupt VM?
The Angels played the Yankees. I think that nationally the game was carried on ESPN. But GizmoDVD is in CA, and the game would also be shown locally on a broadcast station. I'm guessing the same station that shows VM.

to Doc MacGyver: VM would make an excellent blind buy.
I'm not going to explain the show to you, there are plenty of fan websites that can do that for you.

I don't consider this episode filler at all, and in fact as I type that I'm thinking anyone who would call it filler doesn't know the meaning of the word.

It advanced the bus crash storyline in a significant way.
It introduced a new regular character in the baseball player's daughter.
It started a new storyline for Keith Mars, which I think will be interesting.
It showed a progression in Wallace's character, so that he's not just Veronica's errand boy.
It kept the Logan-Cordelia thing going and threw her gun-happy hubby in the mix.
We got a nice cameo from Kevin Smith.
And we got to see Veronica make some very unfortunate fashion choices.

More happened in this episode of VM than over six episodes of LOST.

FantasticVSDoom 10-06-05 07:33 AM

Well, I have to say this show has won me (and my wife) over. I watched the season premier and last night's episode and Im hooked. Its refreshing because where I used to watch a whole lot of TV shows, now there are maybe 4-5 shows that I care about watching, and 1 of them will probably be cancelled soon. Will definitely be picking up the 1st season on dvd, eventhough I know a little bit about it since starting to watch recently, I still would like to see the show from the beginning.

movieking 10-06-05 07:54 AM

I thought that it was a great show. It is interesting to see Veronica give it up to Duncan. Veronica Mars on the palm? Sounds like good stuff to come!

Charlie Goose 10-06-05 08:21 AM

Wallace's new girl was annoying every second she was on screen. Since she's in the opening credits, we'll be seeing her every week. :(

I guess Keith will win the sheriff's election, and the first thing he will do is reopen the bus case.

The guy found on the beach, was that the same guy Wallace was talking with in the grocery store?

Steve Guttenberg definitely has a sinister air about him.

Nothing this week about Felix the dead biker.

veloce 10-06-05 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose

Nothing this week about Felix the dead biker.

Isn't he the guy that was sainted after his death in all the newspaper articles they referred to throughout the episode? Or am I mixing up characters?