TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Close to Home -- Series Premiere "Pilot" -- 10/04/05

Old 10-04-05, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Close to Home -- Series Premiere "Pilot" -- 10/04/05

"Pilot"
Spoiler:
A woman admits to setting her house afire while she and her children were locked inside, but Annabeth is unable to find a witness to back up the woman's story.

Cast: Jennifer Finnigan, Kimberly Elise, John Carroll Lynch, Christian Kane, David Starzyk, Barry Shabaka Henley, Bonnie Root, Rick Peters, Cayden Boyd, Madison Davenport , Audrey Wasilewski, Bruce Davison, Dom Magwili, Evan Arnold, Adam Vanderwielen , Harry Singleton , Hosea Chanchez, Teddy Vincent, Bee-Be Smith, Leslie Ishii.
Director(s): Simon West.
Producer(s): Jerry Bruckheimer, Jonathan Littman, Jim Leonard, Simon West.
Writer(s): Jim Leonard.

Original Airdate: October 4, 2005.
Old 10-04-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did anybody else watched this show tonight?

I know is another legal drama show but I thought it was pretty good plus I find Jennifer Finnigan cute.
Old 10-05-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved this show!

I was watching it and got completely sucked in. It seemed like it was over very fast, I never checked the clock. The pilot really flew by.

The lead actress was very good and of course I loved all the baby scenes. Except at the end, that wasn't realistic. As a new mom, if you wake up on your own with no baby crying, I'd be jumping up to check and make sure everythng was ok, not curling up in bed rejoicing that the baby "slept through the night". But, minor quibble.

I also like that the show takes place in Indianapolis, instead of the usual LA, NY, Boston locales. I hope they show more local scenery. I used to travel to Indy on business quite a bit so I know the town.
Old 10-05-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess we are the only two people on this forum that watched the show last night.
Old 10-05-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I guess we are the only two people on this forum that watched the show last night.
Well, I recorded it last night but haven't watched it yet.
Old 10-05-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watched it. Jennifer Finnigan wasn't a quirky as she has been in her past roles that I've seen her in, which is a shame. She does quirky well and it could've added an element to the show to make it more than a typical courtroom drama (kind of like how Kyra Sedgwick's character makes TNT's The Closer worth watching).

Also, some of the scenes, like when she was told her hormones were keeping her from being a good lawyer, seemed ripped right out of a Lifetime network movie which didn't appeal to me. And I kept waiting for her husband to do something evil, which probably comes from identifying him with his character on Angel, and I'm not clear on what he's supposed to add to the show at all.

That said, I thought the court case was intense, the scene at the motel had me frightened for her and the boy's testimony was very moving so I guess the show sucked me in despite what I said above. I'll keep watching for while and see how it goes.
Old 10-05-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I caught a few minutes out of morbid curiosity during a commercial break during Boston Legal. This show has BAD written all over it, SOAP OPERA BAD.

I saw maybe under five minutes of this episode but it was easy to figure out this series is trying to manipulate the audience in horribly obvious ways. And the acting was just atrocious, and I had to even laugh at the direction of the shots. The scene I saw was the public defender (who, from what I can tell from the commericials, NEVER SMILES and always has her lips perfectly glossed over like the gloss that has encrusted her soul) talking to this boy on the witness stand in the court. The kid is whining about being beat and mistreated by his father and how he just wanted to go out side to play, followed by fake tears, which just had me rolling. Then the defender asks if the boy's father is in the court room, and he says yes, and points to his dad, and it shows this horrible reaction shot from the father (could NOBODY act in this scene???) and the worst part of this was an image of the boy's shadowed hand against the wall pointing to the dad. What the hell was that? It was like a bad pulp novel!

And the music they were playing during that scene...so manipulative. Just a horrible sound track.

Did anybody sit down and watch that crap for the full hour? I can't imagine it ever got better than what I witnessed for those few minutes. It made me wish Mel Gibson's baseball series was still on the air.
Old 10-06-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
I just watched the pilot tonight. It was really really good. I was really impressed with Jennifer Finnigan. She did a great job carrying the show. The case was quite interesting and the little boys testimony was really powerful. With the glut of procedural dramas this season, I would have to say this was one of the better. The pacing was good. I think Simon West did a really good job directing the pilot to keep the action moving.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-06-05 at 03:19 AM.
Old 10-07-05, 07:47 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
meh

Nothing really makes it different than any other generic lawer show. Bad writing and ok acting. I like Jennifer Finnigan but this show is a loser.
Old 10-08-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I enjoyed the pilot episode. I will continue to watch this show.
Old 10-08-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I enjoyed it, but it did get a little to sweet at some points,i will keep watching.
Old 10-09-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Way too Lifetime-channel for me. I'll watch next week just to see if it gets any better.
Old 10-09-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The show is going to milk the working mom angle, probably to its detriment, or find that audience. Love Finnigan, but she's too bipolar on this show being mom and prosecutor.
Old 10-09-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE=Jadzia]
As a new mom, if you wake up on your own with no baby crying, I'd be jumping up to check and make sure everythng was ok, not curling up in bed rejoicing that the baby "slept through the night". But, minor quibble.
[QUOTE]

I was thinking the SAME exact thing while watching this scene.
Been there.. done that!
Baby sleeps through the night for the first time and I'm jumping up
like an idiot running in to make sure he's still breathing!

All in all... enjoyable show. Something I liked.. but won't lose sleep over if
it goes away.