Search this Thread

Old 10-03-05, 04:26 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Surface - "Episode 3" - 10/03

"Episode 3"
Spoiler:
Lee and Cirko begin to theorize that the unidentified species is causing global warming by digging beneath the ocean bed.
Old 10-03-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I'm only watching it because the way it ended last week.
Old 10-03-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought it was great.

Am in for the season.
Old 10-03-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, now we know why the guy's spear stuck in the creature but the super-laser had trouble cutting through it.
Old 10-03-05, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
This show has been much better than Invasion. I wonder if it will wrap up this season or will be pushing for several seasons.
Old 10-03-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the reason I like this show over the two other ones of the same ilk (Threshold and Invasion) is because they took a page out of the Medium playbook and concentrated on the mundane lives of the 3 main sets of characters while mixing it with the extraordinary discoveries they make in their own backyard, so to speak. This show feels more relatable, more personable, and embraces the viewers and draws them into this world at the cusp of a truly momentous revelation of a new species that exists in the deep underground with a penchant for loving the heat.
Old 10-03-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm liking it so far and they've had pretty good effects.... but what the heck happened with the Old Faithful sequence. It's starts by being a really bad composite and then finishes with a bad looking explosion.
Old 10-03-05, 11:07 PM

A bit off topic, but what happened at the tail end of episode 1? My recording got cut off. The're on the boat at night, see the meteors and then......?
Old 10-03-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
I'm liking it so far and they've had pretty good effects.... but what the heck happened with the Old Faithful sequence. It's starts by being a really bad composite and then finishes with a bad looking explosion.
Yeah, I was kinda wondering what happened there too. That was ugly.
Old 10-04-05, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another dig at the Ol' Faithful...that was some of the WORST f/x I have ever seen. Made "10.5" look like George Lucas in comparison.
Old 10-04-05, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by yecul
The're on the boat at night, see the meteors and then......?
the old guy and the kid in a row boat at the very end? Older guy just turned and said something like "Oh look at the lights, we will have good fishing tomorrow" and that was about it if I rem right..

ok ep this time.. Felt sort of like a set up ep, as in laying ground work for the next one only, but I understand that shows need to do that, can't have a break out moment every ep. I see we are starting to get a bad guy on the show now, ya just know one of the creatures is going to eat him whole sooner or later out of the blue.

I have to agree on the FX at the end of this ep.. that was just bad..
Old 10-04-05, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah the old guy talked about fishing. I really loved the ending of the second episode, this one was just ok. But this is definitely the show of the 3 lost clones I am actually enjoying.
Old 10-04-05, 07:59 AM

I personally thought this was a weak episode of what has been a great series. Nothing really happened and it seemed like filler. Hopefully they're just building up to better stuff. The opening scene was pretty decent, but it was a teaser and not really part of the story.
Old 10-04-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do like that they haven't been keeping the monsters completely hidden and we've gotten some good decent looks at the thing. Is this show great? I don't think so. Does it entertain me? Sure does. Do I want to give Miles big sister babies? Yes, yes I do.
Old 10-04-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Patman
I think the reason I like this show over the two other ones of the same ilk (Threshold and Invasion) is because they took a page out of the Medium playbook and concentrated on the mundane lives of the 3 main sets of characters while mixing it with the extraordinary discoveries they make in their own backyard, so to speak. This show feels more relatable, more personable, and embraces the viewers and draws them into this world at the cusp of a truly momentous revelation of a new species that exists in the deep underground with a penchant for loving the heat.
Good call I like how they are following the story from different perspectives, plus the fact that the creature is just more interesting than either Threshold or Invasion.

I haven't watched last night's episode yet, but skimming this thread is making me optimistic I just wish it wasn't up against Arrested Development.
Old 10-04-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wageslave
The opening scene was pretty decent, but it was a teaser and not really part of the story.
What makes it not part of the story? Main characters did go to that lake after it sucked itself dry and sent a probe down to the magma.
Old 10-04-05, 02:53 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
I agree and the fact that they've given us information about the organism, not just fractal patterns or light falling out of the sky, makes it more interesting. The other two seem to think becasue Lost never showed us what the monster on the island is they can get away with it. They don't seem to realize Lost had much more going on besides that.

As far as this episode I thought it was ok

I agree the final scene might have the worst CGI ever
Old 10-04-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The kid's father is crazy...

"One-handing it again kiddo? Anyone pregnant? Just kidding. Haha."

Last edited by invisiblegt; 10-04-05 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-04-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Miles' dad is like the father who's so afraid his son is going to turn out to be gay that his jokes try to belie his fears.
Old 10-04-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
I agree the final scene might have the worst CGI ever
yeah clearly they just RAN out of money or something.. There is ZERO light work or shadows and even the people have this huge glow around them due to lazy and bad green screen work.. Ok, maybe in the middle of the ep it might be no big deal or if the show was some lower budget level show on sunday cartoon hour this is ok..

prime time hour, new show, bigger network, final shot that is ment to be "you want to tune in next week for more of this"? It's so bad that what ever company did it should never be use again, ever.. I've seen free clips on the net done on home cpus that are way better.. geeeeesh.. Still like the show of course but come on now..

if you're going do FX works like this it better be a spring breaker getting hit by a shark and exploding as in Spring Break Shark Attack... Then it's ok

If I had to guess it's that they farmed out the CGI work to range of groups and this one ran out of time or something..
Old 10-05-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I came here just to comment on that final shot. It was so bad I can't imagine how they even let it hit the air. Otherwise I enjoyed the episode, and consider it the best "Lost Clone" as people have been referring to them. Personally I think that makes absolutely no sense since these shows are nothing like Lost at all, but I guess we all need our naming conventions.
Old 10-05-05, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This episode can be summed up in three words.

Boring
Annoying
Predictable

How moronically stupid does Lake Bell have to be in this show? Everybody knows that you keep your lame ass trap shut when you have information contrary to what other people want the public to know. You don't go around making threats to do this or that unless you get a little action. You wait and be silent until you have all of the evidence. Why isn't she dead yet? She should be.

Then we have the psychotic husband who's wife thinks he's becoming satan's son. This can only end in one of two ways. She'll leave him and start doinking some other guy. Or she'll have him locked away and start doinking some other guy.

This show is now off of my Bittorrent list. It's a waste of bandwidth.

Last edited by Tazwolff; 10-05-05 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-05-05, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Daniel-A
But this is definitely the show of the 3 lost clones I am actually enjoying.
Why the fuck are you people calling these shows Lost clones? They have NOTHING in common.
Old 10-05-05, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Why the fuck are you people calling these shows Lost clones? They have NOTHING in common.
I'm a bandwagoner. But really they are trying to do what lost did. Not do it with the same story.

Better question:

WHY THE FUCK DO YOU HAVE TO GET SO ANGRY ABOUT SOMETHING SO POINTLESS?
Old 10-05-05, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tazwolff
This show is now off of my Bittorrent list. It's a waste of bandwidth.
I'm sure NBC is heartbroken

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.