TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Kitchen Confidential -- Dinner Date with Death -- 10-3-2005

Old 10-03-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Confidential -- Dinner Date with Death -- 10-3-2005

(From tvguide.com)

Spoiler:
John Laroquette plays Jack's culinary mentor, a pompous gourmand with a strange death wish: He wouldn't mind passing away from overating at Nolita.

The outlook for both this and Arrested Development appears to be bleak. This may well be the last any of us sees of the series.
Old 10-03-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Somebody beat you to the weekly thread though:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440145
Old 10-03-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What can I say? I scanned the first page and saw nothing. That thread was not created in accordance with the policy promulgated last week.
Old 10-03-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Since your thread already has posts in it and mine had none, I deleted mine. As to your complain, it was created this morning...
Old 10-03-05, 06:11 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
The outlook for both this and Arrested Development appears to be bleak. This may well be the last any of us sees of the series.
Is this your guess based on the ratings, or have you actually read something from an official source stating this?
Old 10-03-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, things don't look good for this hour on Fox. It really is disappointing, too, because I've really enjoyed Kitchen Confidential, and I am obsessed with Arrested Development. I was really hoping that Kitchen Confidential would be a runaway hit and would maybe boost AD's number, but it appears my worst nightmares have come true. I'm just not sure if another network would be willing to pick up either of these shows.
Old 10-03-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
Is this your guess based on the ratings, or have you actually read something from an official source stating this?
It is what I read in the NYTimes (for KC) and the SFChronicle (for AD). The AD stuff is linked in that thread.

The Fox network looked at the ratings for the first two episodes of the drama "Head Cases" and immediately took it out back for a ritual cancellation. A new Fox comedy, "Kitchen Confidential," was yanked almost as quickly (though not officially canceled.)
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/03/bu...03ratings.html
Old 10-03-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Since your thread already has posts in it and mine had none, I deleted mine. As to your complain, it was created this morning...
In that case, they must have had problems with timestamps due to the site being down. Your time stamp was something like 8:20 on 8/2/2005 -- it looked almost identical to the one for the AD thread you created.

Anyway, my intent was just to explain the duplication. When I posted, there appeared to be no reason to scroll past the first page because of the timestamps.

Old 10-03-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If Fox cancels this show I'll never watch anything they put on again.

I am just getting to love the show and they plan to cancel it?
Old 10-03-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
If Fox cancels this show I'll never watch anything they put on again.

I am just getting to love the show and they plan to cancel it?
Fox has hurt me much more in the past than they ever could with this show, but I do think it's relatively fresh and well worth watching when it is on. If they do kill it, it's too bad it got basically no shot.
Old 10-03-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed the cleavage of Somerville.

Old 10-03-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Another episode enjoyed.

Of course they'll cancel it..
Old 10-03-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Fox has hurt me much more in the past than they ever could with this show, but I do think it's relatively fresh and well worth watching when it is on. If they do kill it, it's too bad it got basically no shot.
Trust me, part of my harsh view of this involves what Fox has done to a lot of other shows that were either very good or worth giving a chance and still got axed.

I'm sure that I haven't, personally, been hurt before like you have, but I've read about it and it's disturbing.

Finally, it's happened to me and I just don't plan on letting it happen again.

AD is one of the best sitcoms on tv period, I really like How I Met Your Mother (but it's not better than either KC or AD) and Kitchen Confidential is not a true sitcom anyway, but if they dump shows like AD or even need to be shamed into keeping it on this long, then there's something wrong with the people running the network. KC is the best NEW sitcom for me and, even if it's struggling, at least give it some time to develop.

But that's not Fox's style and I'm no longer a Fox viewer.

They really need to overhaul the entire ratings system too, because too many quality shows are being shafted because of numbers that smell kind of fishy to me.
Old 10-03-05, 11:38 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was the best episode of the series
Old 10-04-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought this episode had its moments; the whole hot dog thing I could see coming a mile away though. I like John Larroquette in anything.

I think this series needs to branch out a bit for some more interesting characters. The hostess is just dull; you can only do a dumb blonde joke so many times until it becomes stale. The owner's daughter has no personality at all. I like the kitchen staff, but if they are going to make the show wacky and random like Scrubs, they need to really go for it; having only a few wackies on the show doesn't really work for me.
Old 10-04-05, 12:35 AM

I gave this show one last chance tonight but it just does nothing for me. I deleted the Season Pass.

I wanted to like it as I liked many of the castmembers, but I just couldn't get into it. I was bored even while watching and doing other things.
Old 10-04-05, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Funniest episode so far.
Old 10-04-05, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When they officially cancel this great new show, which has gotten better with each episode, they'll probably give Everybody Loves Raymond 6 honorary Emmys...2 alone to Brad Garrett.
Old 10-04-05, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What happened to John Cho? Last episode he was relegated to a gag during the credits, this episode he didn't even make it that far.

Other than that I'm really liking the show. It's good to have a sitcom based on something different (Scrubs). I'm hoping FOX let's the show run a bit longer. They have seen what has happened when they cancel shows with lower rating but a "cult" following.
Old 10-04-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The cast was on an LA morning radio show yesterday when the cancellation article came out... talk about awkward. In the end it seems that the cancellation information may have been premature. I don't know how they came to that conclusion, but it is posted here

http://www.star987.com/pages/jacks_b...article=336820
Old 10-04-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Totally different totem pole.
Old 10-04-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It was moderately funny ... but the hot dog thing was kind of lame and quite obvious. It seems like every episode is Jack pleading to someone different that he's changed.
Old 10-04-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I definitely thought this episode was the best one so far. Good stuff. Loved the part where it looked like Chef Girard was going to die ("who's got the cheese plate at 11:45?") and everyone in the kitchen pulled out a betting slip. My wife (who has worked in several restaurant kitchens) was laughing her ass off, saying she could totally see that happening.

I really hope they keep this show around. Wasn't it only supposed to be a half-season show anyway? Just let it run out, FOX!
Old 10-04-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think this episode was the first that got the humor right. A bit more edge which I think it needed. Maybe Darren Star is giving more input.
Hope it doesnt get cancelled considering it seems to just be hitting it's stride.
Old 10-04-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think this show seems to be on a upward climb... This episode was, IMO, the best one yet... I also thought it was funnier than this weeks Arrested Development...

FOX just doesn't seem to have much commen sense about what can work and what can't... But what do they have to worry about they have Baseball Playoff money coming in all month...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.