DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Arrested Development -- "Forget Me Now" -- 10/03/05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/440143-arrested-development-forget-me-now-10-03-05-a.html)

LorenzoL 10-02-05 11:15 PM

Arrested Development -- "Forget Me Now" -- 10/03/05

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/8664/170050rq.jpg

"Forget Me Now" Episode #303.
Spoiler:
When the Bluths invite Rita to a family party, they unknowingly expose to her Michael's lie that he has no family.

Cast: Jason Bateman, Portia de Rossi, Will Arnett, Michael Cera, Alia Shawkat, Tony Hale, David Cross, Jeffrey Tambor, Jessica Walter, Charlize Theron, Justin Grant Wade, Dave Thomas, Scott Baio, Bob Einstein, Jonathan Schmock.
Producer(s): Ron Howard, Brian Grazer, David Nevins, Mitchell Hurwitz.

Original Airdate: October 3, 2005.

Chew 10-03-05 10:13 AM

The way all the insider nay-sayers seem to be talking, this might be the last episode. :(

LorenzoL 10-03-05 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chew
The way all the insider nay-sayers seem to be talking, this might be the last episode. :(

Please don't say that. You are making baby Jesus cry. :(

Groucho 10-03-05 10:18 AM

Unless He's part of a Nielsen family, who cares what Baby Jesus thinks?

LorenzoL 10-03-05 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Unless He's part of a Nielsen family, who cares what Baby Jesus thinks?

Touché. :lol:

Michael Corvin 10-03-05 10:54 AM

Man what a downer thread so far. Speaking of downer here is a clip from tonights episode tv.com

rotfl at Ron Howard.

And for fun(and a plug) I just finished my custom cover for season 2 this weekend. Relive all those magic moments. ;) There is a bigger image in the covers forum.

http://twilightzone.home.insightbb.c...opments23d.jpg

pinata242 10-03-05 10:56 AM

Sweet cover! Got a matching one for S1?

Edit: Nevermind, to the covers thread I go.

Mazje 10-03-05 01:10 PM

So where's the info about this being the end for AD coming from? Any actual reports, or just rumors of talk of internet speculation?

And just for fun, if AD gets cancelled, what would YOU like to see happen? Not necessarily what you think will happen, but your own personal idea of Life After Fox? I know people have speculated about the possibility of a Direct to DVD series before. What about another network picking it up? I think it would fit nice between Scrubs and the Office over on NBC.

Chew 10-03-05 01:14 PM

"Arrested Development." The funniest show on television is all but dead. There's no official announcement yet, but all the signs are there, and if this short-lived thing of beauty even manages to deliver half of a season, consider that a sanctioned-by-Rome miracle.

The ratings are abysmal. Fewer than 4 million viewers, which puts it in cable territory. Despite what may have been one of its funniest episodes ever in the first week, nobody watched. This past Monday, even fewer people watched. So much for Emmy power. So much for Charlize Theron as a cameo draw.

Blame? Easy. Fox moved the series from Sunday to Monday, which was: (a) stupid, (b) a planned assassination or (c) all of the above. The network barely promoted the night switch -- a killer for viewers, especially those trying to sample 30 new series -- and sure enough, "Arrested Development" drew fewer viewers than last season. Worse, once on Monday, the series got almost no push. Now, there's one more episode before Major League Baseball pre-empts the show -- and Fox will air "Prison Break" repeats in that slot for a bit after that and before, ahem, bringing back "Arrested Development."

Yeah, that'll happen. Enjoy next Monday's episode. Chances are, everything after that will be dubbed "the lost episodes" on the next DVD. Here's how things get worse for Fox: "Kitchen Confidential" is also dying on Mondays. That means Fox hasn't been able to launch a decent sitcom in some time, and, no, "The War at Home" on Sundays doesn't count. If you watch that, you deserve it.

But it's true that the audience always decides. Always. And if it doesn't want "Arrested Development" but gloms onto the asinine "War at Home," three things are in play here: (a) Nielsen families have lame taste, (b) we get the television we really deserve and (c) most damning, the theory of sophisticated urban viewers is out the window. San Francisco was the 27th-ranked market for "Arrested Development." New York, Los Angeles and Chicago all tied for 21st. And Boston was 45th. So much for savvy. Let's move to Portland, Ore., -- it was the No. 1-ranked market for "Arrested Development."
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...L&type=tvradio

CPA-ESQ. 10-03-05 01:20 PM

Ohhhh Well. That article left me down in the dumps. I guess this is good bye for AD - hello Bernie Mac reruns.

I hope fox moves this show over to FX - or some other cable channel picks it up.

Michael Corvin 10-03-05 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by darthlurker
Not necessarily what you think will happen, but your own personal idea of Life After Fox? I know people have speculated about the possibility of a Direct to DVD series before. What about another network picking it up? I think it would fit nice between Scrubs and the Office over on NBC.

It isn't unheard of. Usually it is done with new shows that failed after a few episodes. The show is sold, idea and cast retooled and re-aired. And usually falling on its face a second time.

I'm up for anything that keeps this show on the air. I have never been one to shell out the dough for HBO, but I would be the first to sign up if they (or someone like that) picked it up.

Jimmy James 10-03-05 01:45 PM

I don't see NBC taking up the cause. They already have an acclaimed but poorly performing sitcom (The Office). Heck, I think NBC would argue that they have two and would include Scrubs on the list.

Dr. DVD 10-03-05 01:46 PM

Maybe HBO will land it. Hey, I can dream can't I? Maybe Portia de Rossi will be able to run around in the buff while making of fun of Jason Bateman.

If this is the last ep. they air, then it has an appropriate title.

Jimmy James 10-03-05 01:54 PM

I really don't want to be a downer, but this is where it seems we're at:

FOX -- The news accounts seem to indicate the show is done here.
CBS, NBC, ABC, WB -- It isn't a fit with any of these networks
HBO -- They don't take castoffs
FX (and other basic cable nets) -- The show is too expensive to work here from what I have heard

The possibilities seem to me to be: UPN and Showtime

UPN has a solid thing going with Everybody Hates Chris, but they have jack to follow it with. I could see them trying Arrested Development at 8:30 if they got it at the right price. It isn't their demo, but it does seem to have a devoted audience. I also think it would fit well with Chris in an offbeat way.

Showtime seems to me to be the pay network more likely to go after the show. They don't have the rep HBO has even though they have had some solid original show efforts. AD and its Emmy would raise the network's profile in a way that might be worth the gamble.

Deftones 10-03-05 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD

If this is the last ep. they air, then it has an appropriate title.

I was thinking about that too. :(

I blame Fox. Sure, some say they gave it more of a chance than other shows, but I only agree to that because they've moved the show so many times and never got a solid, core audience built up. :mad:

auto 10-03-05 02:07 PM

:(

This news sucks. I thought they would at least get to finish the season.

sven 10-03-05 02:08 PM

Stupid Americans!

THX7966 10-03-05 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
I blame Fox. Sure, some say they gave it more of a chance than other shows, but I only agree to that because they've moved the show so many times and never got a solid, core audience built up. :mad:

You can't blame FOX... they did as much as they could. After the first low-rated year, they moved AD to a prime spot after the Simpsons and it did WORSE. The move to Mondays was necessary... they needed to move on and support other new shows without cancelling AD outright.

Groucho 10-03-05 02:28 PM

http://gfx.filmweb.pl/u/59870/foto.gif

Deftones 10-03-05 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by THX7966
You can't blame FOX... they did as much as they could. After the first low-rated year, they moved AD to a prime spot after the Simpsons and it did WORSE. The move to Mondays was necessary... they needed to move on and support other new shows without cancelling AD outright.

Show me, in the history of shows, where moving a moderately popular show to another night helped it's case. It just doesn't happen. Moving a show only works for a show that is already established as a hit (CSI, L&O:SVU, 24), not a show that hasn't built up a consistent audience.

Michael Corvin 10-03-05 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I really don't want to be a downer, but this is where it seems we're at:

FOX -- The news accounts seem to indicate the show is done here.
CBS, NBC, ABC, WB -- It isn't a fit with any of these networks
HBO -- They don't take castoffs
FX (and other basic cable nets) -- The show is too expensive to work here from what I have heard

The possibilities seem to me to be: UPN and Showtime

UPN has a solid thing going with Everybody Hates Chris, but they have jack to follow it with. I could see them trying Arrested Development at 8:30 if they got it at the right price. It isn't their demo, but it does seem to have a devoted audience. I also think it would fit well with Chris in an offbeat way.

Showtime seems to me to be the pay network more likely to go after the show. They don't have the rep HBO has even though they have had some solid original show efforts. AD and its Emmy would raise the network's profile in a way that might be worth the gamble.

But Showtime doesn't seem the smartest in the business department. They cut Stargate right when it was taking off. I don't think NBC would be a bad choice, their platter is in the toilet right now anyway. Joey is widely criticized and Will & Grace is bound to leave the airwave soon. Office and Scrubs are mediocre hits and won't ever be stars, but AD would fit perfect with these shows. Carve a nice niche block along with those and Earl. Now THAT would be Must See TV for me. It's amazing Grazer and Howard don't have more pull with Fox.

THX7966 10-03-05 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Show me, in the history of shows, where moving a moderately popular show to another night helped it's case. It just doesn't happen.

Oh, I don't know, have you heard of a little show called "Seinfeld?" Anyway, you missed my point. I'm saying the move to Monday was a token gesture, not one to raise the ratings. They don't have faith in AD, but don't want to cancel it either. They have to start supporting new shows.

Jimmy James 10-03-05 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
But Showtime doesn't seem the smartest in the business department. They cut Stargate right when it was taking off. I don't think NBC would be a bad choice, their platter is in the toilet right now anyway. Joey is widely criticized and Will & Grace is bound to leave the airwave soon. Office and Scrubs are mediocre hits and won't ever be stars, but AD would fit perfect with these shows. Carve a nice niche block along with those and Earl. Now THAT would be Must See TV for me. It's amazing Grazer and Howard don't have more pull with Fox.

It would be must see TV for me, too. The truth is that NBC has as many so-so comedies with good press as it can handle, though. I would fear that picking up AD could only be done by killing off Scrubs or The Office.

Brain Stew 10-03-05 03:37 PM

I have no other showings of Arrested Development on my DVR and it normally holds 2 weeks of schedules :(.

Deftones 10-03-05 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by THX7966
Oh, I don't know, have you heard of a little show called "Seinfeld?" Anyway, you missed my point. I'm saying the move to Monday was a token gesture, not one to raise the ratings. They don't have faith in AD, but don't want to cancel it either. They have to start supporting new shows.

Seinfeld did not even become a ratings giant until its last few years on the tube, IIRC. Now, I was never a fan and didn't watch it hardly at all, but it was a Thursday night show for most of it's run, right?