The West Wing - "The Mommy Problem" - 10/02

Old 10-02-05, 07:48 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The West Wing - "The Mommy Problem" - 10/02

"The Mommy Problem"
Spoiler:
As a Grand Jury convenes to investigate the military-shuttle leak by the White House, the campaign's focus changes to national security.
Old 10-02-05, 09:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Very much a "meh" episode for me. Josh shouldn't have to be teaching a class on Campaigns 101 for his staff (I know most of that boxes stuff was for the audience's benefit, but still...), too much Santos, not enough Vinick, Garafalo is annoying, and the musical interludes felt like padding.
Old 10-02-05, 10:15 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was ok outside of the White House scenes.

Breaking the bed

Looking forward to some Vinick scenes in the future.
Old 10-02-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the breaking the bed stuff was pretty funny but the rest was just meh. i noticed that they have taken both charlie and donna out of the cast credits, which totally blows. i wish they would've taken the money they spent for garofolo and gave some to those two instead.
Old 10-02-05, 11:02 PM

I thought this one was decent. I agree that the pars that take place in the White House are the weaker segments now. I can't wait for them to do an entire Vinick episode. It would rock if they did something like a two part episode that showed both the Rep. and Dem. camps deal with the same situation, to see how each side deals with the press and whatnot.
Old 10-02-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was a decent episode. Does anyone else think that maybe when the election is over Josh won't be Chief of Staff. You know how they like to throw curveballs at the audience (ie CJ as CoS) .
Old 10-02-05, 11:27 PM
Banned

Does Garafalo as a guest star guarantee that Santos will win? There's no way in hell she'd ever be on a show where the Republican wins.
Old 10-03-05, 12:13 AM

Has it been discussed yet that WW is going to have a live Presidential debate in Nov between Santos and Vinick. I understand they are trying to boost ratings with the live show gimmick but I think this is going to be great. At least it means that there is going to be some more Alan Alda on the show then one or two lines.

I wonder if they are going to go to SPin Alley after?
Old 10-03-05, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sub-par episode.
Garaffolo
No Charlie or Donna anymore.
No original cast members aside from Josh CJ Toby
Everything else was just boring. I'm less and less excited for this season as the episodes go by. But I am a fan without measure so no matter what happens I will continue to watch. Just not looking forward to it.
Old 10-03-05, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was OK, but Garofalo doesn't work as a foil for Josh. The character just came across as annoying, independent of what some might think of the actress.

I can't get over how little I care about the goings-on in the actual West Wing.

das
Old 10-03-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I seriously don't understand how Alda is "an opening credit" name and less than a "cameo" appearance week-after-week.
Old 10-03-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Blah episode. Don't like the Garofalo character and I still don't care about the leak story.

The only funny part was Santos and his wife breaking the bed.

You can obviously tell how the budget was sliced for this show since only a handful of the opening credit actors are in each episode.
Old 10-03-05, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by kevin75
i noticed that they have taken both charlie and donna out of the cast credits, which totally blows.
They may just be doing what they did last year to a certain degree. Last year, I believe there were different openings depending on who was appearing in that week's episode, at least with Smits and Alda.
Old 10-03-05, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jcheckel
They may just be doing what they did last year to a certain degree. Last year, I believe there were different openings depending on who was appearing in that week's episode, at least with Smits and Alda.
Yes, but neither Mary McCormack nor Kristin Chenoweth were in the episode, and both were in the opening credits.
Old 10-03-05, 01:21 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
I'm sick of the campaign already. It felt like a chore to get through this week's episode (although I loved the "there's no way that bed was steel reinforced" line " ).
Old 10-03-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Also, what was with the 101 days until election crap (implies it is the last week of July)? They are through the primaries and convention and one would think a week or two beyond that. Realistically, based on when the last convention is usually over (late August), the calendar should early-mid September.
Old 10-03-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Also, what was with the 101 days until election crap (implies it is the last week of July)? They are through the primaries and convention and one would think a week or two beyond that. Realistically, based on when the last convention is usually over (late August), the calendar should early-mid September.
Way back, I read the election would take place in (our) November. But, the last I read that had changed to March.

They're dragging the campaign out so long, we're all going to be just as sick of it as a real one. (Bando is already there, of course)
Old 10-03-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Opening credits appearances are a contractual thing. It doesn't necessarily imply that the actor is in every episode.

And as for someone suggesting Garofalo wouldn't appear if Vinick was going to win....c'mon, you're not serious, are you? It's an acting job. On a high profile and respected network show. Ron Silver played a Democratic strategist for a while after he'd become a neoncon in real life. Actors like to work.
Old 10-03-05, 01:49 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

me and the mrs decided to put the WW on hiatus, and just reflect on how wonderful those 1st 3 or 4 seasons were.

Characters I could care less about CJ, and Toby, and Leo.

It'll store up on the tivo, and maybe at christmas we'll have a little session and play catchup
Old 10-03-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
I seriously don't understand how Alda is "an opening credit" name and less than a "cameo" appearance week-after-week.
Well, they're going to switch back and forth. Next week looks like it's going to mainly focus on Vinick.

And did anyone else think that montage near the beginning of Santos campaigning was super lame?
Old 10-03-05, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by MvRojo
Well, they're going to switch back and forth. Next week looks like it's going to mainly focus on Vinick.

And did anyone else think that montage near the beginning of Santos campaigning was super lame?
If it had been half as long it would have been half as lame. Like I said in my original post, it felt like padding. Sorkin was not above using musical interludes to begin eps, like "Somebody's Going To Emergency, Somebody's Going to Jail", but they didn't seem nearly so egregious or tacked on.
Old 10-03-05, 07:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kevin75
i noticed that they have taken both charlie and donna out of the cast credits, which totally blows.
You noticed that Charlie and Donna are off the opening credits, but not the First Lady and Will being off it?

Originally Posted by Jcheckel
The first season Stockard Channing made the opening credits, she only showed in in episodes she actually appeared in. But then in subsequent seasons (until now) she was in the credits for every episode even though she wasn't in very many of them.

This is probably part of the cost-cutting in removing four regulars and turning them into recurring, or maybe they've vanished all together without explanation like Moira Kelly.
Old 10-03-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Legolas
You noticed that Charlie and Donna are off the opening credits, but not the First Lady and Will being off it?
More like didn't care, I bet.
Old 10-03-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Legolas
i noticed them because charlie and donna are two characters who have been there since the very beginning and have always been an integral part of the show, unlike abby (who comes in and out) and will (who was there to replace sam but then they just trashed the character).
Old 10-03-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had high hopes that when Charlie moved to CJ's office the writers would actually give him something to do but guess not. I'll watch next week to see who the leak is and check out the live episode in November but I think I'm through with this series.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.