Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Loving a TV Show that is Widely Hated...

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-01-05, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do any of you have a favourite TV series that is universally hated? A guilty pleasure that you watch religously, but you know is nonesense but really like none the less. Or it's an excellent, underrated series, that is unfairly lambasted.

Two of my favourite TV shows that I like, but are universally loathed are Star Trek: Voyager and Enterprise. I know they will never both be great Star Trek series, but I know they are good Star Trek series.

Another show that is a guilty pleasure of mine is Sex and the City (I'm a big Kim Cattrall fan).

What TV shows do any of you like, but is universally hated?

Last edited by Cancer Man; 10-01-05 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-01-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought you were asking about shows that are currently airing new episodes.
Old 10-01-05, 11:39 AM

Posted by Phil L.: I thought you were asking about shows that are currently airing new episodes.
It doesn't really matter, it could be either a TV series that is still currently on the air, or it could be a TV show that has long since been cancelled.

What TV series do you really like, but is universally hated by most people?
Old 10-01-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cancer Man

Another show that is a guilty pleasure of mine is Sex and the City (I'm a big Kim Cattrall fan).
How can you like a show like that which is so universally hated? I don't know anyone -- anyone -- who likes it!

Oh, and I never miss an episode of According to Jim. That's right. I said it. You can't judge me!

das
Old 10-01-05, 12:17 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

nightstalker.
Old 10-01-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Oh, and I never miss an episode of According to Jim. That's right. I said it. You can't judge me!

das

Yes I can - you FREAK!!!!

Old 10-01-05, 12:24 PM

Reunion, very cheesy but I'd rather go through an hour of this than Night Stalker and The Apprenctice.
Old 10-01-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I pretty faithfully watch SNL and enjoy much of what I see. Does that count?
Old 10-01-05, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
It should. It's been pretty unfunny since around 1998-2000. Back when Cheri Oteri, Molly Shannon, Ana Gasteyer, Collin Quinn, Chris Kattan, Will Ferrell, Tracy Morgan, and Tim Meadows were on it. Now that was a great cast! There are no more memorable characters anymore.
Old 10-01-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess Sex in the City, but I didn't know that was universally hated.

I also still enjoy Smallville, which it seems everybody else I know gave up on the series.
Old 10-01-05, 02:55 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Most reality shows
Old 10-01-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by gatoinfeliz
It should. It's been pretty unfunny since around 1998-2000. Back when Cheri Oteri, Molly Shannon, Ana Gasteyer, Collin Quinn, Chris Kattan, Will Ferrell, Tracy Morgan, and Tim Meadows were on it. Now that was a great cast! There are no more memorable characters anymore.
So...did you crib this argument from the original that featured the names Chevy Chase, Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Laraine Newman, Garrett Morris, and Jane Curtin?

Instead, did you copy from the guys whose version included Phil Hartman, Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Chris Farley, Tim Meadows (he was around forever), and Adam Sandler?

At least you SNL critics never change your argument (except for the names)...
Old 10-01-05, 05:25 PM
Banned

I liked Spin City during the Charlie Sheen years. I also seem to be in the minority regarding CSI: NY.

I didn't like Star Trek: Voyager, but that show had a lot of dedicated fans for such a bland, poorly-written and loathed series.
Old 10-01-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm confused. How can a show that is universally hated be on the air long enough for someone to love it?

Maybe the Universe is just all us internet smart asses who like to diss popular programs. If that's the case, Everybody Loves Raymond was the last hated show that I regularly watched.

All the shows I currently watch meet with, at the very least, luke warm internet approval.
Old 10-01-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by the big train
Maybe the Universe is just all us internet smart asses who like to diss popular programs. If that's the case, Everybody Loves Raymond was the last hated show that I regularly watched.

All the shows I currently watch meet with, at the very least, luke warm internet approval.
i actually think that's what he meant -- hated by the internet "critics." I like Everybody Loves Raymond as well -- though I think it's a bit too mean spirited.

I still watch SNL as well.
Old 10-01-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alias. Yup still love the show.
Old 10-01-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
When Voyager and Enterprise hit a high, they hit it hard. It's just that they didn't hit them very often and they hit far too many lows than they statistically should have. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 10-01-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Only if you said your favorite season was the Chris Elliot - Jeanine Garafolo year.
Old 10-01-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't think Voyager and Enterprise were "universally" hated. Now if you started a thread and told us you loved "Small Wonder" and "Cop Rock," then I think we'd need to see professional help for you.
Old 10-02-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To OP: Wasn;t Sex and the City one of the most popular shows on cable tv ever?
Old 10-02-05, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I LOVE Star Trek: Enterprise...so there are at least 2 fans out there. I also find myself watching Just Shoot Me whenever I come across it on tv. I also own the DVD release and wish they would put out the rest of the seasons.
Old 10-02-05, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, there's Lexx. I think that counts.

Then there's Xena. While that one isn't widely hated, I think it doesn't get the respect it deserves from most people.

Felicity might be another one that'd get people looking down their nose at me.
Old 10-02-05, 04:30 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tscott

Then there's Xena. While that one isn't widely hated, I think it doesn't get the respect it deserves from most people.
I couldn't agree more.

However, you might want to check this "Top 5 Best TV Shows Ever" poll to see what is currently ranked at #1 with 25,784 votes.

http://richlabonte.net/tvvote/

Even I was surprised at the kind of respect online, but I do agree that overall it doesn't get the respect it deserves. I actually didn't have much of an opinion of the show earlier this year before watching the series from beginning to end for the first time. I ended up loving it. Some of things that I thought would turn me off to the series became a part of what I loved about the series.

I don't think I like any shows that are "widely hated" though.

BTW, why has Sex in the City been mentioned? Since when is Sex and the City a widely hated series?

While I don't know how Alias is percieved by the average non-online fans I do know that it seems that a lot of people in this forum has hated season 3 and possibly 4 too. I am about 4 or 5 episodes from the end of season 3 myself and I still am really enjoying the series. I prepared myself for the worst though based on reading about some people saying that other people new to the show should stop buying the sets after season 2. So far I totally disagree with that. I don't know if season 3 was just a season that didn't flow well on tv (flows well on DVD on my 11ft screen. ) or if some people just got pissed because certain characters left the show (yes, that sucked, but not enough to make me hate the series).

I was prepared for a grand canyon like drop in quality (perhaps such low expectations has made me enjoy season 3 more), but it hasn't come...YET. It's still very entertaining and addictive to me. I'd still rather watch it than most films. There is a drop in quality from the previous two fantastic seasons, but not the kind of drop that people made it seem like it would be. I was expecting Christmas specials or something by the way people talked about season 3. There are some things that are kind of frustrating a little (for example
Spoiler:
I kind of miss her regular life outside of the CIA since her friends are gone)
, but it's nothing compared to how frustrating Smallville can be sometimes, IMO.
Old 10-02-05, 04:40 AM
Banned

I think I was the only one that loved Life on a Stick.
Old 10-02-05, 06:25 AM

The last one was "Compleate Savages"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.