DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   '05-'06 is underway...so name your Top 5 Premieres (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/439884-05-06-underway-so-name-your-top-5-premieres.html)

Merkin Muffley 09-30-05 09:41 AM

'05-'06 is underway...so name your Top 5 Premieres

1. Veronica Mars - All the reasons why the show's so great...clever, twisty, fast-paced, well-written, and Kristen Bell...were back in full force. Loaded with promise for the new season...I'm pumped to get to the bottom of this new mystery. Maybe the best show on TV right now.
2. Lost - STUNNING opening sequence...a perfect example of everything that's great AND everything that's frustrating about this show. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the future of the show.
3. Arrested Development - Still the funniest show on TV...it's always this close to spinning out of control, but somehow manages to stay on target. The premiere was filled with subtle humor, sneaky double entendres, and clever references to past seasons...all the things that make this show hilarious AND impenetrable to new viewers. Maeby the funniest show ever.
4. The Office - Proof that this one's not going to fade away...and that it can stand on its own, apart from the brilliant original.
5. The Amazing Race - The family thing is actual not awful. This ranks in my Top 5 purely for the unintentional "Black Family" hilarity and the REALLY unintentional "woman getting run over by an out-of-control Amish wagon" hilarity.

david12 09-30-05 11:08 AM

Totally off the top five topic, but you thought that the woman getting run over by the buggy was funny? I laughed while they were having trouble with the brakes, but there was a moment when that scene turned really serious and frightening. Coupled with the fact that that families father/husband was killed when he was hit/run over by a car made it very terrifying. Very unfunny.

david12 09-30-05 11:15 AM

And for my top five.
1 - Lost. Easily the most entertained and intrigued I have been by tv in a long time.
2 - Extras. Surprisingly good and different from the UK Office. I figured that Gervais' character was going to be the exact same but there are many differences, he is more likeable, and very funny. It had A LOT of laugh out loud and inside joke moments for me. "Love to Sam Mendes"
3 - The Office. Made me not ashamed to say that this version is better than the original.
4 - Survivor. Dispite the fact that last night's episode was a yawn fest, the first episode was really great. Set up the idea that this was going to be the most intense survivor ever and proved it by beginning with an 11 mile, through the jungle 24 hour hike. Whoa...
5 - Rome. I am still getting to know the characters, but am enjoying it very much so far.

DJariya 09-30-05 01:10 PM

1. Lost
2. Smallville
3. Without a Trace
4. CSI
5. Prison Break

Geofferson 09-30-05 01:22 PM

My top 5 (in no particular order):

Prison Break
Rome
Lost
Nip/Tuck
Arrested Development

mdc3000 09-30-05 02:06 PM

1. Lost
2. Prison Break
3. My Name Is Earl
4. Arrested Development
5. The Office

MATT

garmonbozia 10-02-05 01:13 AM

1. LOST
2. Arrested Development
3. Prison Break
4. Desperate Housewives
5. Kitchen Confidential

LivingINClip 10-02-05 02:24 AM

1: Smallville
2: Reba
3: CSI
4: Justice League Unlimited
5: Iron Chef re-runs!

josepotato 10-02-05 09:44 AM

1. Lost
2. Gilmore Girls
3. Prison Break
4. McLeod's Daughters Season 3 on WE
5. 24 Season 1 on A&E

WarriorPrincess 10-02-05 12:56 PM

Lost
Gilmore Girls
Desperate Housewives
Veronica Mars
Prison Break

ShallowHal 10-02-05 03:04 PM

1. Curb Your Entusiasm
2. Prison Break
3. Extras
4. The Office
5. ??

5 could be Arrested Development, but I have to wait to see the entire second season on 10/11. I saw the first season a few months ago on DVD and absolutely loved it, so it may even jump to #3. If L&O:CI do better without D'Abo, I'll watch it.. every other week.

Ayre 10-02-05 06:40 PM

1. Lost
2. Veronica Mars
3. Greys Anatomy
4. Smallville
5. The Office

LorenzoL 10-02-05 07:04 PM

Veronica Mars
Lost
My Name is Earl
Prison Break
Supernatural

Aislematt 10-02-05 07:22 PM

1. Lost - I thought the episode was fantastic and it was great to finally get to see the show again.
2. Veronica Mars - A close second. The new mystery looks very promising and the show did not dissapoint after its incredible first season.
3. Arrested Development - Funny episode all around
4. Prison Break - Favorite New show of the year so far and even though I knew most of the plot points of the first episode from trailers/spoilers, I was still intrigued
5. Justice League Unlimited - New story arc is set up and if all things goes well it can possibly rival the awesome 2 season-story of Cadmus.

SmithsGuy 10-02-05 07:40 PM

1. Lost
2. Smallville
3. NCIS
4. Justice League Unlimited
5. there is no 5. (yet, still a bunch of stuff on DVR to watch)...

Ciao,
Smithsguy

JMLEWIS1 10-02-05 08:17 PM

1) Lost
2) Desperate Housewives
3) Grey's Anatomy
4) Curb Your Enthusiasm
5) Surface

Rocketdog2000 10-02-05 11:28 PM

Just gonna go with 3, as I'm only listing returning shows I've seen, so far, still some I haven't gotten around to watching yet.

1. LOST - showing why it's still the best thing to hit TV in years.
2. SMALLVILLE - one of, if not the best, premieres this how has ever had. I was about ready to stop watching this show weekly and just wait for the DVD relases - but this changed my mind. If the rest of the season can maintain this level, things could be turing around for this show, finally.
3. JUSTICE LEAUGE UNLIMITED - damn, this show just gets better ever year - especially since they switched over to the ULIMITED status. Great stories, great characters, and great voice talent - hell, practically half the cast of Firefly is on this show - which in itself is a good thing.

Sir_Fireboard 10-03-05 01:37 AM

1. Veronica Mars - Absolutely superb premiere with a cliffhanger that left me gaping. Best. Show. Ever.

2. Prison Break - Totally riveting and while you are required to suspend your disbelif a lot it's still damn enjoyable and very addictive.

3. Grey's Anatomy - Still funny and had a good revelation about last season's cliffhanger.

4. Bones - I didn't hear much about this show or see any promo's and I assumed I was going to hate the lead actress, but she's actually pretty cool.

5. Kitchen Confidential - I didn't have a clue what this was about and tuned in for Bradley Cooper, but it was pretty good. Not laugh out loud funny, but good enough and has enough of an interesting storyline to keep me coming back.

Now Lost is one of my favourite shows, but I thought the premiere sucked ass. I was hoping for more the second week, but it still wasn't any better; the glacial pace at which the story moves doesn't impress me one bit. Hopefully this week's will be better because we look like we're finally going to get somewhere.

tofu 10-03-05 01:41 AM

1) Desperate Housewives
2) Lost
3) Arrested Development
4) Veronica Mars
5) Joey

zuckuss 10-03-05 01:22 PM

1. Lost
2. Smallville
3. My Name is Earl
4. Supernatural
5. Curb Your Enthusiasm

Rypro 525 10-03-05 05:01 PM

from what i have seen
1. prison break
2. rome
3. My Name is Earl
4. Nip/tuck
5. Alias
(i still have lost and veronica marst to watch, both waiting for me to get done with the dvd's

riley_dude 10-03-05 06:48 PM

Lost
Smallville
Nip Tuck
My Name is Earl
Commander in Chief

Joey got a vote huh? I heard it was a horrible premiere.

nightwing82 10-03-05 10:34 PM

1. Boston Legal
2. Joey (the premiere was better than the entire 1st season)
3. Grey's Anatomy
4. Desperate Housewives
5. How I Met Your Mother

valkyrie 10-04-05 01:35 AM

1. Prison Break
2. Lost
3. House
4. Bones (call me crazy, I like the show)
5. The Office

(Of course, if we open up to cable, Battlestar G and Rescue Me are currently the only reason I pay for cable).