Threshold -- "The Burning" -- 09/30/05

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-05, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Threshold -- "The Burning" -- 09/30/05

"The Burning"
Spoiler:
A routine search for an escaped psychiatric patient becomes a mystery when Molly and the Red Team learn the patient is having the same dreams as Caffrey, Cavennaugh and Pegg.

Cast: Carla Gugino, Charles S. Dutton, Brian van Holt, Robert Patrick Benedict, Brent Spiner, Peter Dinklage, Raphael Sbarge, Mark Berry, Cliff DeYoung, Richard V. Licata, David Gautreaux, Michael Papajohn, Laurence Mason, Christie Lynn Smith, Maura Claire Barclay , Philip Pavel, Herzl Tobey , Tanner Richie , Chris Covics .
Director(s): John Showalter.
Producer(s): Brannon Braga, David Heyman, David Goyer.
Writer(s): Brannon Braga, Dan O'Shannon.

Original Airdate: September 30, 2005.
Old 09-30-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Why do all Sci-Fi shows have to involve a mental patient that knows exactly what is going on while everyone else thinks he is crazy?
Old 10-01-05, 03:48 AM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Awful, just awful....what a horrible waste of a talented cast. Every one of these people must be asking themselves, where did my career go? Only three episodes in and already not worth bothering with. I predict this will be the first of the new Lost Clones to go.

Sooooo boring, did anything in the storyline even advance with this episode? The young geek guy picked out his wedding invitations??? They found a smaller version of the alien sphere??? Peter Dinklage and Brent Spiner don't even seem to be on the same set as the rest of the cast and the enthusiasm they exude brings new meaning to 'phoning it in'.

To think of sitting through 20 more episodes like this for the rest of the season is just painful. The pilot was so promising tho...and such high production value. sigh.
Old 10-01-05, 10:38 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Average episode

I agree it looks like most of the cast is phoning it in. I'll give it a few more weeks just becasue nothing else is on.
Old 10-01-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by bluesix
did anything in the storyline even advance with this episode?
Yes, they found out that the aliens have been here before - at least once - well over a hundred years ago.

It was an average ep, but at least it isn't as tedious as Invasion.
Old 10-01-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Threshold is off my DVR list as of last night. Frankly, I like Invasion more.... Surface, too.
Old 10-01-05, 11:10 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Lost clone? Did I miss an airplane crash onto an island in one of the three episodes?
Old 10-02-05, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I gave up on "Invasion" after an episode and a half.

I'm sticking with this one for one reason, and one reason only - Peter Dinklage.

(It's too bad. Had they made this into a movie, I think they might have had something pretty good. Instead, we get a few decent minutes here and there, with a high level of filler.

Such a waste...)
Old 10-02-05, 03:24 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Awesome episode, i'm really liking this show ! hot babe in singlet and panties doesn't hurt

Great story, this is way better than Invasion
Old 10-02-05, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Well it's official, Threshold wins the award for first deletion from my season pass list this season. The idea was solid, the cast was ok, the execution, not so much.
Old 10-02-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Deleted here as well. I really wanted to like this show as it would give me something to watch on my Tivo over the weekend, but it's an effort to watch this. I'd say this isn't as much of a Lost clone as it is CSI: Alien Edition. Too many scenes of people sitting around tables discussing evidence.
Old 10-02-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, for me, it just that these characters just talk and talk and talk, and it still feels like they are writing to fill up the 41 minutes and then give us the parable for the day in the last minute of the episode.

The "chemistry" between Molly and Cavanaugh is ridiculously bad.

Maybe it'll play better on TV on DVD, but from week-to-week, it has developed a penchant for monotony.

Oh, it did end on an ominous note, that Molly might actually be one of them already with her "we have a plan" comment to the mental patient.
Old 10-02-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I agree with the posts above me that this show is going downhill and very fast too.

Even with Carla Gugino, I'm having difficulty watching this show. They are lucky that they don't have any competition on Friday night.

It such a shame since after the premiere episode, I thought this show had the most potential out of all of the new shows. Tell you how much I know about TV shows.
Old 10-02-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
what did everyone expect from something that has Braga listed by himself as producer in the credits (at least on the Trek shows he had Berman's name on the slide with his) and he's a writer for the show. writer and producer being Braga equals extreme likely hood of crap
Old 10-03-05, 11:53 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I taped this, but now I'm not sure I'll bother with watching it. The second ep was a huge step down from the pilot, and it doesn't sound like this one gets it back on track. Invasion will likely be next. I never would've guessed two weeks ago that I would be dumping Threshold before Bones and The War at Home, but those two actually grew on me each week where Threshold has taken a nosedive.
Old 10-03-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
This ep was a small step up from the second - enough to hook me for at least one more.
Old 10-04-05, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Oh, it did end on an ominous note, that Molly might actually be one of them already with her "we have a plan" comment to the mental patient.
I thought it was more of just a cheesy line refering to the threshold plan she created.

Along with many of the above posts, I agree this episode was pretty bad. Very mediocre performances from othewise good actors and the storyline was dry.

Last edited by Bateman; 10-04-05 at 04:12 AM.
Old 10-04-05, 07:31 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm amazed at the hate for this show !

Poor Threshold