DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Threshold -- "The Burning" -- 09/30/05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/439866-threshold-burning-09-30-05-a.html)

LorenzoL 09-30-05 05:37 AM

Threshold -- "The Burning" -- 09/30/05

"The Burning"
Spoiler:
A routine search for an escaped psychiatric patient becomes a mystery when Molly and the Red Team learn the patient is having the same dreams as Caffrey, Cavennaugh and Pegg.

Cast: Carla Gugino, Charles S. Dutton, Brian van Holt, Robert Patrick Benedict, Brent Spiner, Peter Dinklage, Raphael Sbarge, Mark Berry, Cliff DeYoung, Richard V. Licata, David Gautreaux, Michael Papajohn, Laurence Mason, Christie Lynn Smith, Maura Claire Barclay , Philip Pavel, Herzl Tobey , Tanner Richie , Chris Covics .
Director(s): John Showalter.
Producer(s): Brannon Braga, David Heyman, David Goyer.
Writer(s): Brannon Braga, Dan O'Shannon.

Original Airdate: September 30, 2005.

Cusm 09-30-05 09:43 AM

Why do all Sci-Fi shows have to involve a mental patient that knows exactly what is going on while everyone else thinks he is crazy?

bluesix 10-01-05 03:48 AM

Awful, just awful....what a horrible waste of a talented cast. Every one of these people must be asking themselves, where did my career go? Only three episodes in and already not worth bothering with. I predict this will be the first of the new Lost Clones to go.

Sooooo boring, did anything in the storyline even advance with this episode? The young geek guy picked out his wedding invitations??? They found a smaller version of the alien sphere??? Peter Dinklage and Brent Spiner don't even seem to be on the same set as the rest of the cast and the enthusiasm they exude brings new meaning to 'phoning it in'.

To think of sitting through 20 more episodes like this for the rest of the season is just painful. The pilot was so promising tho...and such high production value. sigh.

MrX 10-01-05 10:38 AM

Average episode

I agree it looks like most of the cast is phoning it in. I'll give it a few more weeks just becasue nothing else is on.

B.A. 10-01-05 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by bluesix
did anything in the storyline even advance with this episode?

Yes, they found out that the aliens have been here before - at least once - well over a hundred years ago.

It was an average ep, but at least it isn't as tedious as Invasion. :D

Orbi-Wan Techno 10-01-05 11:38 AM

Threshold is off my DVR list as of last night. Frankly, I like Invasion more.... Surface, too.

Groucho 10-01-05 11:10 PM

Lost clone? Did I miss an airplane crash onto an island in one of the three episodes?

invisiblegt 10-02-05 12:59 AM

I gave up on "Invasion" after an episode and a half.

I'm sticking with this one for one reason, and one reason only - Peter Dinklage.

(It's too bad. Had they made this into a movie, I think they might have had something pretty good. Instead, we get a few decent minutes here and there, with a high level of filler.

Such a waste...)

Original Desmond 10-02-05 03:24 AM

Awesome episode, i'm really liking this show ! hot babe in singlet and panties doesn't hurt :)

Great story, this is way better than Invasion

Dr_Evil 10-02-05 10:05 AM

Well it's official, Threshold wins the award for first deletion from my season pass list this season. The idea was solid, the cast was ok, the execution, not so much.

Eddie W 10-02-05 10:37 AM

Deleted here as well. I really wanted to like this show as it would give me something to watch on my Tivo over the weekend, but it's an effort to watch this. I'd say this isn't as much of a Lost clone as it is CSI: Alien Edition. Too many scenes of people sitting around tables discussing evidence.

Patman 10-02-05 03:53 PM

Well, for me, it just that these characters just talk and talk and talk, and it still feels like they are writing to fill up the 41 minutes and then give us the parable for the day in the last minute of the episode.

The "chemistry" between Molly and Cavanaugh is ridiculously bad.

Maybe it'll play better on TV on DVD, but from week-to-week, it has developed a penchant for monotony.

Oh, it did end on an ominous note, that Molly might actually be one of them already with her "we have a plan" comment to the mental patient.

LorenzoL 10-02-05 06:50 PM

I agree with the posts above me that this show is going downhill and very fast too.

Even with Carla Gugino, I'm having difficulty watching this show. They are lucky that they don't have any competition on Friday night.

It such a shame since after the premiere episode, I thought this show had the most potential out of all of the new shows. Tell you how much I know about TV shows.

mikehunt 10-02-05 07:08 PM

what did everyone expect from something that has Braga listed by himself as producer in the credits (at least on the Trek shows he had Berman's name on the slide with his) and he's a writer for the show. writer and producer being Braga equals extreme likely hood of crap

DRG 10-03-05 11:53 AM

I taped this, but now I'm not sure I'll bother with watching it. The second ep was a huge step down from the pilot, and it doesn't sound like this one gets it back on track. Invasion will likely be next. I never would've guessed two weeks ago that I would be dumping Threshold before Bones and The War at Home, but those two actually grew on me each week where Threshold has taken a nosedive.

Pointyskull 10-03-05 11:59 AM

This ep was a small step up from the second - enough to hook me for at least one more.

Bateman 10-04-05 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
Oh, it did end on an ominous note, that Molly might actually be one of them already with her "we have a plan" comment to the mental patient.

I thought it was more of just a cheesy line refering to the threshold plan she created.

Along with many of the above posts, I agree this episode was pretty bad. Very mediocre performances from othewise good actors and the storyline was dry.

Original Desmond 10-04-05 07:31 AM

I'm amazed at the hate for this show !

Poor Threshold