Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Smallville S5 Premiere - "The Arrival"

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville S5 Premiere - "The Arrival"

Old 09-29-05, 07:59 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Kal-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Fortress of Solitude
Posts: 7,982
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smallville S5 Premiere - "The Arrival"

Didn't see a thread for this yet so I figured might as well start one.

Where we left off:

- Clark was in the middle of the Arctic with the Crystals
- Lana saw a spaceship
- The Kent's home got hit by a meteor while Ma and Pa were being held hostage by Jason
- Chloe was in the cave with Lex and Clark when Clark was "teleported"

Anything else I'm forgetting?
Old 09-29-05, 08:06 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,001
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Nifty new credits...I like them a lot!

Did Smallville get to use the Fortress of Solitude set from SUPERMAN RETURNS or was this one created for the show?
Old 09-29-05, 08:18 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Carrollton, Ga
Posts: 4,809
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe it was created for the show, but obviously modeled after the films.
Old 09-29-05, 08:34 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Posts: 29,706
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweet. clark finally knows chloe knows
and shouldn't there be a 3rd person in that ship?
say an old guy with white hair that sounds suspiciously like Jor-El

Last edited by mikehunt; 09-29-05 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-29-05, 08:40 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,001
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Darn, this is a good episode...looks like they spend the whole season's budget on this show alone. This is the most I've enjoyed Smallville since at least Season Two.
Old 09-29-05, 08:46 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
TheNightFlier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NIMBY, NY
Posts: 5,909
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, great episode so far.

Spoiler:
phantom zone appearance
Old 09-29-05, 08:47 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,001
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Okay...he got rid of the bad guys WAY too easy...I certainly hope that's not the last we see of them - I'm guessing it won't be.
Old 09-29-05, 09:04 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: MS
Posts: 808
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
were there enough commercials?
Old 09-29-05, 09:20 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Posts: 29,706
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black oil dripping off a spaceship ripoff of x-files
Old 09-29-05, 09:22 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Duluth, GA, USA
Posts: 37,782
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was okay, it cleared the air between Chloe and Clark, although now that seems like old news given his present state of no powers. Their scene together was probably the most honest one they've had in four years.

The phantom zone bit was a little cheesy, especially the effects, but I did like the CGI Fortress of Solitude, though it was pretty obvious, given the budget of the show, it was acceptable.

Glad to see Erica Durance make the opening credits now.

I did recognize "Ursa" as being from "The Mountain", I think she was played by Alana De La Garza.

Last edited by Patman; 09-29-05 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-29-05, 09:25 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Carrollton, Ga
Posts: 4,809
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me guess. Another season of Smallville, another season of people complaining how the show sucks, but they keep watching it anyway. Think that about sums it up.
Old 09-29-05, 10:22 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Downers Grove, IL
Posts: 10,470
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not complaining. This is the first episode of Smallville I've watched from beginning to end and it was a pretty good start. I don't get why he lost his powers though at the end; it seems strange. Also can somebody sum up why Lex wrote what he did in Lana's newspaper?

H
Old 09-29-05, 10:28 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
calhoun07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 14,402
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehunt
black oil dripping off a spaceship ripoff of x-files
I was thinking Inque from Batman Beyond myself.

Super-Clark certainly defeated those villians WAY to easilly. Maybe they will be back with a third next time to create more torment for Super-Clark, but this time around, it was way anti climatic.

So exactly how did Jor El manage to take away Clark's powers? Can he even do that? I am not trying to line this up with comic book continuity, as I never really read Superman comics, but the dude is some dead spirit in the air and Clark got his powers from the YELLOW SUN. How do you just take that away from him? Rewrite his DNA not to get powers from the yellow sun?

And speaking of the yellow sun....exacly how did the Phantom Zone villians come out so powerful from the beginning if Kryptonians are normal under their red sun and this was, apparently, their first time in a yellow sun? And why didn't they fly????

Last edited by calhoun07; 09-29-05 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-29-05, 10:29 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,033
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He lost his powers because he did not go back to the FoS to complete his training, as he had promised Jor-El.

I am curious as to when Zod will appear, we know that those two were simply minions of Zod and the alien-goo dripping from the ship was none other than the Kryptonian android known as Brainac. Where exactly does Zod fit in tho'?

As for the losing the powers, he will have them back by the end of the next episode, I almost gurantee it. He will need to face off against Brainac and realize that while he wants to be normal, he can't and he must go to complete his training and with that, means we will see the Clark & Lana break up, yet again.
Old 09-29-05, 10:34 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
calhoun07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 14,402
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingINClip
He lost his powers because he did not go back to the FoS to complete his training, as he had promised Jor-El.
I totally understand and get that. What I don't get is how?
Old 09-29-05, 10:42 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Ayre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,153
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am hoping that the writers have picked up on the fact that serial television is hot right now. Maybe they will at least wait 3 or 4 weeks before hitting the reset button.

New season looks promising and as always Chloe is a charmer.
Old 09-29-05, 11:20 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,212
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved all the references to Richard Donner's SUPERMAN. Otherwise, I thought it was just an "okay" episode.
Old 09-29-05, 11:26 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,214
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
I totally understand and get that. What I don't get is how?

They do that all the time with clarks powers on this show. I don't like it either, it makes no sense.
Old 09-30-05, 12:03 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,358
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingINClip
...and with that, means we will see the Clark & Lana break up, yet again.
Sad, but so true.
Old 09-30-05, 12:15 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,691
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWESOME episode! I loved the new credits. Looking forward to the upcoming episodes.
Old 09-30-05, 12:21 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Duluth, GA, USA
Posts: 37,782
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know, broken record, but some part of me wished the big screen Superman would have been Tom Welling, but in some way I think he didn't want to put the cast and crew out of work by doing Singer's Superman Returns because there would not have been a fifth season of Smallville if he had been tapped to play Superman on the big screen. So, we get what we'll get next June 30th next year, but just seeing Welling in this new incarnation of the FoS, I think Welling still looks the part more, both in face and body, than Brandon Routh from the footage and pics I've seen of him so far.
Old 09-30-05, 01:11 AM
  #22  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,385
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
I know, broken record, but some part of me wished the big screen Superman would have been Tom Welling, but in some way I think he didn't want to put the cast and crew out of work by doing Singer's Superman Returns because there would not have been a fifth season of Smallville if he had been tapped to play Superman on the big screen. So, we get what we'll get next June 30th next year, but just seeing Welling in this new incarnation of the FoS, I think Welling still looks the part more, both in face and body, than Brandon Routh from the footage and pics I've seen of him so far.
^Co-sign

Smallville the could have been big screen movie>>>>>>Singer's Superman

Welling>>>>Routh
Rosenbaum>>>>Spacey
Durance>>>>>Bozworth

Ok that rant is over

Absolutely LOVED the episode!! The opening sequence was great, it gave the show a little more mature look while keeping with the mythology of the show, and come on you gotta keep that theme song, it just fits too well.

I loved everything, as already mentioned the Zod deciples were defeated a little to easily, but thats Smallville and you have to take it as you get it.

I loved the scene between Clark and Lex in the house, Lex asking him to be truthful, and he knew Clark wouldn't....Lex is really turning evil.

Lex also has the ship at Luthorcorp, tyte!

JM as Brainiac, very cool, that guy will forever be typecast as Spike, but fuck it, hes god damn good at what he does.

Lex arriving to see Chloe was interesting.

Lana's little trap for the deciples was cool, but why didn't she take a piece of kryptonite and keep it on her, they wouldn't have been able to touch her, well maybe they could have shot fire at her, oh well

Great opening and a great start to the season, lets keep season 5 strong.

I wonder what/who has Lionel poessed??? What was he scratching on the floor? Lex now has the key, and knows about the alter in the caves and Brainiac's ship, fuck ya

Did anybody catch when Lana was reading the paper at the hospital announcing the Teagues death, was that Lionel or Lex who wrote "You owe me" and signed it with a "L" very interesting, I wonder whats going to happen with this angle......

9.5/10



I love you Kristin marry me please <3
Old 09-30-05, 01:38 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 483
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by animalmystic
^Co-sign

Smallville the could have been big screen movie>>>>>>Singer's Superman

Welling>>>>Routh
Rosenbaum>>>>Spacey
Durance>>>>>Bozworth

Ok that rant is over

Absolutely LOVED the episode!! The opening sequence was great, it gave the show a little more mature look while keeping with the mythology of the show, and come on you gotta keep that theme song, it just fits too well.

I loved everything, as already mentioned the Zod deciples were defeated a little to easily, but thats Smallville and you have to take it as you get it.

I loved the scene between Clark and Lex in the house, Lex asking him to be truthful, and he knew Clark wouldn't....Lex is really turning evil.

Lex also has the ship at Luthorcorp, tyte!

JM as Brainiac, very cool, that guy will forever be typecast as Spike, but fuck it, hes god damn good at what he does.

Lex arriving to see Chloe was interesting.

Lana's little trap for the deciples was cool, but why didn't she take a piece of kryptonite and keep it on her, they wouldn't have been able to touch her, well maybe they could have shot fire at her, oh well

Great opening and a great start to the season, lets keep season 5 strong.

I wonder what/who has Lionel poessed??? What was he scratching on the floor? Lex now has the key, and knows about the alter in the caves and Brainiac's ship, fuck ya

Did anybody catch when Lana was reading the paper at the hospital announcing the Teagues death, was that Lionel or Lex who wrote "You owe me" and signed it with a "L" very interesting, I wonder whats going to happen with this angle......

9.5/10



I love you Kristin marry me please <3

I'm not sure Lex has the ship but I'm assuming he took it.

Clark has the key not Lex. I take it the stuff with the 3 stones has been dropped completely?

How did Lana know kryptonite would hurt the bad guys? And how did she know there was kryptonite in there anyway?

I remember Jason at the Kent house. Was he killed when the meteor hit?

No more highschool means no more supervillains du jour. Aside from the guest spots we've all heard alot of it will be Lex hot on the trail.

I'm surprised they havent played up that this will be the final season.

Last edited by uhftv; 09-30-05 at 01:43 AM.
Old 09-30-05, 01:42 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
calhoun07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 14,402
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, what happened to Jason? I was wondering when Clark went into the house would he see Jason's dead body with his x ray vision under some rubble? I am surprised they never even addressed that or wrapped up Jason's story line in this episode.
Old 09-30-05, 01:44 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,691
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uhftv
I'm not sure Lex has the ship but I'm assuming he took it.

Clark has the key not Lex. I take it the stuff with the 3 stones has been dropped completely?

How did Lana know kryptonite would hurt the bad guys? And how did she know there was kryptonite in there anyway?

I remember Jason at the Kent house. Was he killed when the meteor hit?
No offense man, but where you been?

Spoilers have already been mentioned - Thanks guy for confirming my suspicions that Brainiac indeed would be in that ship...

1. The stones story is over - they united to form the crystal that built the Fortress of Solitude.

2. Lionel tells her that the meteor rock will hurt them when he is possessed.

3. One I was wondering about too, I'll just assume that he suffered a direct impact from a meteor . It is confirmed at the end of the episode that both he and his mom are dead so they expect you to connect the dots that he died when the meteors hit the Kent Farm.

P.S. - The look on Jonathan's face after finding out Clark lost his powers was classic, he was like "shit, now I gotta rebuild this damn thing all by myself instead of Clark doing it in 5 minutes."

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.