Reload this Page >

Commander in Chief series premiere 9/27/05

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-27-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what I expected, but it was a little predictable in getting Mac into the presidency after some attempts to talk her into resigning her V.Presidency to maintain the Presidency's mandate.

Mac's speech at the end was pretty good, albeit highly idealistic, but I expect it to get messy for Mac given the obstacles she will face on a daily basis w/r/t other world leaders and world cultures and political climate.

(I happened to watch this "live" because I had all my other 4 shows covered via DVR or VCR.)

Last edited by Patman; 09-27-05 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-27-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just happen to catch it and enjoyed it. I like Gena Davis anyway. I may continue to catch this.
Old 09-27-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was average, a bit boring. But then again, as mentioned, that was basically just because we had the general idea of what was going to happen in the episode. Next week looks a lot better, but I may not return to view it.
Old 09-28-05, 12:00 AM

It sucked.... and I actually gave it a chance
Old 09-28-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just wonder if the repetition in Rod Lurie's career foreshadows a movie about the FBI/the mob in his future.
Old 09-28-05, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kantonburg
I just happen to catch it and enjoyed it. I like Gena Davis anyway. I may continue to catch this.

Same here. I don't think it is a great drama, but I found it entertaining.
Old 09-28-05, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It was a decent premiere IMHO. I couldn't stop laughing everytime Mrs. Clinton name got mentioned and how "it didn't go very well" with what she did.
Old 09-28-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I watched a bit of the show; but I have a little pet peeve with the writing: Sutherland makes it sound like Islamic nations will never accept a woman leader; but do they ever take the time to realize that Pakistan, a staunchly Islamic nation, had a woman prime minister for many years? Sloppy writing sucks.
Old 09-28-05, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK, the old president was a moron. So he wants to get the gimmick of a woman as his running mate to get women votes, I get that. Why not get a woman in his own party and has the same beliefs he does?? If he had thought of the possibility of this before hand, so many people would be more accepting of her becoming president.

Other than this, it was a decent show. I'll catch it next week.

I was expecting her husband to tell his new secretary to stop referring to him as 'First Lady'.
Old 09-28-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by resinrats
OK, the old president was a moron. So he wants to get the gimmick of a woman as his running mate to get women votes, I get that. Why not get a woman in his own party and has the same beliefs he does?? If he had thought of the possibility of this before hand, so many people would be more accepting of her becoming president.
Maybe in addition to gaining women's votes, the old president also want to get support from other party. Probably if he picked some woman from other party as his VP, a lot of people from his own party would object. So he picked someone from independent?
Old 09-28-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by resinrats
Yeah, but that makes sense. It, however, doesn't fit into the writers' masturbatory fantasy of having a independent, non-religious woman from the world of academia in the White House.
Old 09-28-05, 11:45 AM

She doesn't have a good tooth-to-gum ratio
Old 09-28-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk God

The biggest problem I have with the Prez and Speaker asking her to step down is that it would make the party look bad - I mean, really bad. They would basically be admitting that they never had any faith in her ability to lead the country and we pulled one over on the American people - she was picked just to draw votes.

As for the Presient finding some female within the party who shares his vision, I think that would be difficult. From the limited info we have, it seems like this President was a conservative Republican. Think about the US Gov't - how many conservative Republican women are there currently? Condi is about as conservative as it gets.
Old 09-28-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good show -- definitely staying on Season Pass for awhile. For anyone interested, it repeats on Saturday night 10/1
Old 09-28-05, 01:47 PM

How'd it do in the ratings?
Old 09-28-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ABC BLOWOUT: 'COMMANDER IN CHIEF' TOP SHOW OF NIGHT, ACCORDING TO NIELSEN RATINGS... WOMAN PREZ PULLS 12.7 RATING/18 SHARE, PUSHING NET TO PRIME WIN...

from Drudge, hence the caps.
Old 09-28-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watched it this morning and it was pretty good. I agree with Red Dog, if she had stepped down it would have made the party look very bad especially with female voters and it may have torpedoed any chance of re-election (they mentioned he'd been in office for two years so the campaign storylines should kick in before the season end). Overall it was a decent enough show and since House won't be back until November 1 I can keep watching.
Old 09-28-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by uteotw
How'd it do in the ratings?
Commander in Chief kicked-off with a stellar 12.6/18 in the overnights (#1), 16.15 million viewers (#1) and a 4.3/11 among adults 18-49 (#3t) from 9-10 p.m.
Old 09-28-05, 03:04 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed it, but it was completely unrealistic right from the first scene. The French lining the streets to cheer an American Vice President? Riiiiiight.

Actually, I really did enjoy it and will watch it for awhile to see how it develops.
Old 09-28-05, 03:18 PM

seemed pretty good, I watch it
Old 09-28-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My White Collar Crime professor hated this show so much he took five minutes out of our discussion on obstruction of justice to comment on the show.

I didn't watch the show, but he explained that things opened up with the VP (Davis) called to Paris where the President was incapacitated due to stroke. He indicated that the Attorney General was there and that nobody had any idea who was in charge. If that is an accurate description of how things went, I have to say I also take issue with the show. For one thing, we fixed this problem after the Reagan shooting.

His next issue was that they apparently try to get the VP to resign. He pointed out that it makes no sense for national security or any other reason to have a President knocked out and a VP who immediately resigns. You really might have chaos in that situation simply because the people would have their confidence shaken not once but twice.

Finally, he hated that they made the VP a former Chancellor of our university. It was as though he felt the show had passed the school some of its cooties or something.
Old 09-28-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
he explained that things opened up with the VP (Davis) called to Paris where the President was incapacitated due to stroke. He indicated that the Attorney General was there and that nobody had any idea who was in charge. If that is an accurate description of how things went

It is inaccurate. The AG and the Chief of Staff clearly stated that under the 25th amendment, the VP was in charge. However, they also requested that she resign so the acting-Presidency would pass to the Speaker.

His next issue was that they apparently try to get the VP to resign. He pointed out that it makes no sense for national security or any other reason to have a President knocked out and a VP who immediately resigns. You really might have chaos in that situation simply because the people would have their confidence shaken not once but twice.
Now this I agree with. Of course, this is one of several problems (I explain another one above) with the resignation possibility and why there is no way it would ever happen.

However, I am willing to suspend disbelief on the resignation scenario if the show keeps me entertained, which it did last night.

Last edited by Red Dog; 09-28-05 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-28-05, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C'mon Rod Lurie...you'd have military intervention in Nigeria to rescue but 1 individual? No U.N.?

I also found it amusing in the scene where they were trying to locate a Bible to swear her in. Donald Sutherland's character chimes in, "You can use MINE...mwahahah...". Lame.
Old 09-28-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MiamiVP
It sucked.... and I actually gave it a chance
Same here. I expected very little, and was not disappointed. I bid this show good day.
Old 09-28-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

after watching the west wing for so many years, thier white house sure does look cramped.

anyway, i like political dramas so i gave this a chance. it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be but it wasn't great either.

minor quibble with the protocol woman. i would think a competant person would've come up with something better than to keep referring to him with the first lady thing.

i was also at the military extraction of the woman in nigeria.

overall, it just seemed like they were trying too hard to push the woman for president angle which, while that may be the basis of the show, it doesn't seem like it would be sustainable quality wise. i will give it another shot next week, because the preview looks like they might be going away from this.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.