DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   I just got the greatest piece of mail ever. An offer to be a Nielsen Family. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/439534-i-just-got-greatest-piece-mail-ever-offer-nielsen-family.html)

esc24 09-27-05 02:17 PM

I just got the greatest piece of mail ever. An offer to be a Nielsen Family.

No longer will good television be cancelled do to low ratings.

Groucho 09-27-05 02:21 PM

You better be watching Arrested Development (or willing to fake it).

das Monkey 09-27-05 02:28 PM

A real Nielsen Family or just a sweeps diary?

das

esc24 09-27-05 02:32 PM

It looks like a real Nielsen Family. I've gotta call later and make an appointment with them and then i'll know all the details.

Originally Posted by Groucho

Don't worry, i've watched it every week since it started.

cleaver 09-27-05 02:37 PM

I saw there was 3 replies so far; I was curious to see how many involved people telling him to watch Arrested Development.

auto 09-27-05 02:45 PM

Be prepared to be very popular around here soon.

DRG 09-27-05 02:51 PM

How exactly does the real Nielsen family thing work? I've done the diaries before and thought it was a big pain in the butt. Although if the diaries were online and consisted of drop-down menus in grids they would be a lot more enjoyable.

mdc3000 09-27-05 03:21 PM

yeah, what is up with the diaries. My household has had a few offers to keep those diaries but we haven't as of yet (i figure they don't count, since ratings come in overnight). If I had a chance for a ratings box though, you bet your ass I'd get on... glad to hear you'll be watching AD if you get it....(make sure to stick around for Kitchen Confidential and Prison Break too).

MATT

fujishig 09-27-05 03:45 PM

So if you're a Nielson family and you have TIVO, how does that work?

Jadzia 09-27-05 03:46 PM

Can you imagine if Nielsen recruited people from this forum? I think we'd make their set-top boxes explode. :lol:

Red Dog 09-27-05 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig

I assume their policy would be no DVRs, which would eliminate most of this forum. :lol:

Jimmy James 09-27-05 03:53 PM

Ratings only take into account live TV watched.

JNielsen 09-27-05 03:58 PM

I have a Tivo.

Groucho 09-27-05 04:06 PM

Does USA Today still publish the Tivo numbers aside the Nielsen ratings?

Morf 09-27-05 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig

I was actually contacted by Nielsen over a year ago because of my TiVo. They wanted me to be a part of some study they were doing regarding DVR useage. I signed up, as I don't care who looks at my tv viewing habits. I'm not sure if what we watch counts on the Nielsen ratings, as they didn't give me any specifics on what they are gathering.

Cusm 09-27-05 04:13 PM

I think I would have to set the box up to no tv, and have a computer with an IR blaster set up to change the channels to the shows I wanted counted, and watch my normal tv via DVR like normal.

Groucho 09-27-05 04:14 PM

Hey Morf, I signed up for that too. I don't know whatever became of it.

Jadzia 09-27-05 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm
I think I would have to set the box up to no tv, and have a computer with an IR blaster set up to change the channels to the shows I wanted counted, and watch my normal tv via DVR like normal.

Heck, if you placed a family of monkees in front of the TV, they would probably pick out better shows to watch than most Nielsen families.

IDrinkMolson 09-27-05 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by esc24
Don't worry, i've watched it every week since it started.

Soooo, what else do you watch regularly?

Deftones 09-27-05 04:25 PM

Another vote for Arrested Development! :banana:

Morf 09-27-05 04:26 PM

Hey Morf, I signed up for that too. I don't know whatever became of it.

Glad to hear someone else at least knows what I was talking about. I, too, have no idea what became of that study, or what the plans were. :shrug:

PacMan2006 09-27-05 04:33 PM

I'm in the same boat with you, Morf. Haven't heard anything from them since. Anyone know how you become a Nielsen Family? Do you just open up your mail one day and there is an offer? Or do you have to actively try and be a Nielsen Family and then just hope to get lucky?

Cusm 09-27-05 04:39 PM

The only thing I have been selected for is the damn LONG census bureau interview, which means about every 3 months I am contacted and have a hour interview, same questions and about the same answers, and a thank you at the end.

cineman 09-27-05 06:07 PM

If you were chosen to have a meter put in your home, DON'T DO IT. I used to work for Nielsen as a recruiter. I can't go into detail, but if you value your audio/video equipment, for god's sake, refuse!!!!!! If it's a diary, go for it.

maxpower 09-27-05 06:11 PM

So, as many members as this forum has, I can't believe there are no nielsen families.