DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   SNL *Season Premiere* 10/01/05 - (H) Steve Carell (M) Kanye West (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/439511-snl-%2Aseason-premiere%2A-10-01-05-h-steve-carell-m-kanye-west.html)

Charlie Goose 09-27-05 11:43 AM

SNL *Season Premiere* 10/01/05 - (H) Steve Carell (M) Kanye West

Saturday Night Live starts its 31st season this weekend. Early thread, I know, but I've been waiting with great anticipation for the host to be revealed.

Interesting choice. Carell is flavor of the month right now, but he's been very funny in everything I've seen so this could turn out to be a good show. Especially since Tina Fey is sitting out for a few months on maternity leave. I guess we'll find out on Saturday who will be on the Weekend Update desk.

Chew 09-27-05 11:49 AM

And for those interested, the show will also start broadcasting in HD this season. :up:

Obey The D 09-27-05 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Especially since Tina Fey is sitting out for a few months on maternity leave.

You mean to tell me I'm not going to hear weekly Bush bashing during Weekend Update? ;)

invisiblegt 09-27-05 12:07 PM

Now, I know this isn't going to be the most popular opinion, but I'm not a very big fan of Carell's.

I always found him funny on "The Daily Show", but when he broke out... He just hasn't clicked with me. His character in "Bruce Almighty" was just ok, although I found him to be fairly good in "Anchorman." I found him to be overtly obnoxious in "The Office", even moreso than the character was being portrayed as. And as for "The 40 Year Old Virgin"... eh. And don't even get me started on "Bewitched..."

But, here's hoping...

(And, if this is considered threadcrapping on the subject of the host, just let me know, and I'll delete the message.)

Damfino 09-27-05 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
And for those interested, the show will also start broadcasting in HD this season. :up:

I'd gladly give up the HD if they make the show funny this season.

scott shelton 09-27-05 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Obey The D
You mean to tell me I'm not going to hear weekly Bush bashing during Weekend Update? ;)

Because SNL has no 30-year history of making fun of presidents.

Groucho 09-27-05 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Obey The D

I'm sure there will be no Bush bashing at all. Certainly not from the musical guest.

Gil Jawetz 09-27-05 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Damfino
I'd gladly give up the HD if they make the show funny this season.

HD = Hilarity Deficient

Chew 09-27-05 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
HD = Hilarity Deficient

:lol:

dadaluholla 09-27-05 12:55 PM

I have only been watching SNL off and on over the past season or so, but I am pretty sure this new season I will be just sticking with the OFF.

Charlie Goose 09-27-05 01:01 PM

Carell is somewhat related to another news story of today, the death of Don Adams. He will be playing Maxwell Smart in a big screen Get Smart.

BDB 09-27-05 01:05 PM

no tina fey no sale!

Giantrobo 09-27-05 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
Now, I know this isn't going to be the most popular opinion, but I'm not a very big fan of Carell's.

He was on Leno a few days ago and he was pretty lame. His "bits" just sucked to the point of pain. But who knows. Maybe SNL will be different.

Giantrobo 09-27-05 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
HD = Hilarity Deficient

:lol:

Phil L. 09-27-05 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by invisiblegt

I've never even heard of Carell and have no idea who he is supposed to be.

Kanye West I have unfortunately heard of and SNL producers should be fucking hung for putting that fool on as 'musical' :rolleyes: guest.

DodgingCars 09-27-05 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Phil L.
I've never even heard of Carell and have no idea who he is supposed to be.

How's your cave?

DeadLamb 09-27-05 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chew

yeah I rem reading they were going to go to HD this season but does anyone know a time line for that? Titantv.com does not list the oct ep as HD yet, sep it might be too soon for them to know..

As for the show over all, I look forward to another season.. Sure, the show is not as great as it use to be and some of the skits are just brutally bad.. Still, it's one of the only skit shows left and every ep I at least crack a smile a bunch of times..

oh but I know what you are all REALLY looking forward too!!! MORE BEAR CITY!!!! heh.. Ok, maybe not.. I will admit that the FIRST time (and only the first time) they ran that skit I laughed at the line of "Only two kids survived, they were quickly eaten".

Big Boy Laroux 09-27-05 03:00 PM

will bear city be in HD? *crosses fingers*

theedge 09-27-05 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
no tina fey no sale!

Maybe Steve Carrell will be in the Anchor seat? They could have the guest host be the guest anchor.. and Carrell has fake news experience!! :) I would love him to be in Character as the Weatherman from Anchorman for it... ;)

Jimmy James 09-27-05 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
will bear city be in HD? *crosses fingers*

Bear City
Bear Bear City

GuessWho 09-27-05 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by theedge
Maybe Steve Carrell will be in the Anchor seat? They could have the guest host be the guest anchor.. and Carrell has fake news experience!! :) I would love him to be in Character as the Weatherman from Anchorman for it... ;)

...actually, he had more "anchorman" experience in Bruce Almighty

Goldberg74 09-27-05 10:49 PM

Can't wait to see how the Charlie Goose-o-meter ( :up: vs :down: ) rates this season.

Here's to hoping!

Roto 09-27-05 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Can't wait to see how the Charlie Goose-o-meter ( :up: vs :down: ) rates this season.

Here's to hoping!

I watch that more often than the actual show

dhmac 09-27-05 11:57 PM

SNL *Season Premiere* 10/01/05 - (H) Steve Carell (M) Kanye West
Bush bashing on this show? Come-on! Don't be silly - I mean, what are the chances???

JTH182 09-28-05 02:26 AM

My guess for Weekend update anchor is Seth Myers. He seems to work well with Blamey Poehler.