Veronica Mars- Season Premiere WEDNESDAY 9-28 *New Day!*

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-26-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all.

Figured I would let everyone know a few days in advance that Veronica Mars is moving from Tuesdays to Wednesdays. Season 2 kicks off this Wednesday....

While I won't post any spoilers, expect alot of Buffy Co-Stars this season. So far they have booked 3. If you want to know...

Spoiler:
Charisma Carpenter will be guest starring in a few/maybe all of this season epsidoes. Alyson Hannigan will be back for atleast 1 episode, and Rob Thomas will apparently 'bend over backwards' to put her and Charisma in a scene together. Joss Whedon also guestars in 1 episode.

To kick this thread off...
Who do you think is at the front door? Duncan, Logan, Deputy Leo, Bob Saget?
Old 09-26-05, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
"Normal is the Watchword"
Spoiler:
Veronica gets pulled back into the investigation business when Wallace tests positive for drugs.

Cast: Kristen Bell, Percy Daggs III , Teddy Dunn, Jason Dohring, Francis Capra, Enrico Colantoni, Sydney Tamiia Poitier, Alona Tal, Duane Daniels, Charisma Carpenter, Krysten Ritter, Ryan Hansen , Steve Guttenberg, Meredith Roberts , Charles Ducksworth , Adam Hendershott, Max Greenfield, Naima Mora , Kyle Gallner, Jeffrey Sams.
Director(s): John Kretchmer.
Producer(s): Joel Silver, Rob Thomas.
Writer(s): Rob Thomas.

Original Airdate: September 28, 2005.
Old 09-26-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the show I have been waiting for! I hate that it is one of the last shows debuting.
Old 09-26-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Grr, argg.
Old 09-26-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pretty good article with no spoilers, but some cast info.

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) "Veronica Mars" solved one big mystery -- Who killed Lilly Kane? -- last season, and she'll tackle another one this year. But behind the scenes of the UPN series, creator Rob Thomas is facing a puzzle of his own.

Namely, how do you get viewers involved in a new case, keep the characters they love around, and stay away from post-Laura Palmer "Twin Peaks" territory -- all while airing in a brutally competitive hour opposite another show steeped in the mysterious?

"That's a good question," Thomas admits. He and his fellow writers are facing a challenge for season two of "Veronica Mars" that almost no other show has to consider, with the possible exception of "24." After finishing last year on a note of closure -- we found out that faded movie star Aaron Echolls (Harry Hamlin) killed Veronica's (Kristen Bell) best friend -- the show has to establish an entirely new story this year while simultaneously building on the relationships the characters established last season.
"It's a huge challenge. I have worked on many shows, and I think 'Veronica Mars' is the toughest show to break episodes of anything I've ever worked on," Thomas says. "Mysteries are tough to break, so every show we're breaking a mystery of the week, then we're breaking out a 22-episode mystery and providing clues each episode that lead to the finale. It kills us."

Although she's solved the Kane case, life hasn't exactly gone smoothly for Veronica in the months between Aaron Echolls' arrest and the season opener, which airs at 9 p.m. ET Wednesday (Sept. 28) on UPN. (It's a prime spot on the network's schedule, with "America's Next Top Model" as a lead-in, although it must also air against ABC's hit "Lost.")

The town of Neptune is still dealing with the fallout from the case -- and from Logan's (Jason Dohring) run-in with Weevil (Francis Capra) and his boys in the finale. Veronica, meanwhile, finds herself straddling the class line at Neptune High between the rich "09ers" and the outcasts she identified with last year. And that's before the new mystery -- "there's gonna be death," Thomas promises -- kicks in.

"In episode one we'll introduce the big mystery, and there won't be any doubt about it when it happens," he says. "If you're wondering [during the premiere], Is this the big mystery, it hasn't happened yet."

With the new story arc will come several new characters, including Steve Guttenberg as a wealthy Neptune resident who's running for mayor, Charisma Carpenter ("Angel") as the trophy-wife stepmom of Dick and Beaver Casablancas (Ryan Hansen and Kyle Gallner, who will be regulars this year), and Tessa Thompson as a new Neptune High student, the daughter of a big-league ballplayer (Jeffery Sams).

Teddy Dunn, Percy Daggs III and Enrico Colantoni return, as do Dohring and Capra, but the new mystery may mean some of them don't play as large a role this season as they did last.

"About midway through [last] year, we started having to think about the big mystery for season two," Thomas says. "It's not built to sustain -- because we have regular cast members, we can't bring back the Kanes and the Echollses and have them all be involved in the mystery. We need new blood for the show."

He hopes that "Veronica's" fiercely loyal cadre of fans will understand the shift and stay involved with the characters.

"You go through four years of development hell struggling to get your pilot ordered, struggling to get the show on the air. At that point I'm not thinking season two," Thomas says. "I really did conceive of the show as this one-year mystery.

"I didn't know if fans would gravitate toward it. I didn't know if in success, are we being driven by the mystery of the week, is that what people find the most fun, or is it the overarching story? The thing we certainly learned is that the fans of the show, I think they're cool with the mystery of the week, but I think what they come back for is the ongoing mystery."
Old 09-26-05, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i tried to watch this last season but just couldn't get interested with the lack of time i had. i am gonna try again seeing how much everyone gushes about this show.
Old 09-26-05, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Up against Lost.
Old 09-26-05, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I read somewhere today that UPN had arranged for weekend repeats of Veronica Mars. I just confirmed that the UPN affiliate in my local market is replaying it at 11 AM on Saturday. This may be helpful to some of you with conflicts.
Old 09-26-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This show is damn good and Kristen Bell is beautiful. If you're up for some intelligent writing, witty characters and great plots, I highly recommend this show. I just binged on this show over the last couple of days thanks to the www and was hooked.

I'm watching Veronica Mars live, and Lost on my ReplayTV.
Old 09-27-05, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by the aftermath
I just binged on this show over the last couple of days thanks to the www and was hooked.
That's definitely the best way to watch it. I got the entire first season and watched it in three days; my mind was totally blown. The only downside is that there's so much to take in over such a short period of time, but that's what re-watching is for. Oh, and the fact that I saw it in August and had to wait 2 months for new episodes. You really shouldn't be allowed to watch so many episodes so quickly and then have to go cold turkey for two months; it's unbearable. Watching one episode every week is going to be excruciating it's such an insanely watchable show.

Having heard nothing but raves from reviewers who have seen the premiere, I'm getting extremely impatient for the new season to start.
Old 09-27-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

October 11th is also a special day worth mentioning for Veronica fans.

Season 1 on dvd.
Old 09-27-05, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was able to catch-up on season one as well. Did a 4 episode run over the weekend to get ready for the premiere tonight.
Old 09-27-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chew
I was able to catch-up on season one as well. Did a 4 episode run over the weekend to get ready for the premiere tonight.
TOMORROW. WEDNESDAY!
Old 09-27-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that had more to do with my not remembering what day it was more than what day Veronica premieres on.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 09-27-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, here's a question.

Tomorrow, one of my friends has agreed to begin watching season 2 with me based on my praise of season 1, so I wanted to show him a capsulated version of season 1. We have time to watch 5 or so episodes before 2 starts, so what would be the best 5 to summarize season 1?

I know I have to obviously show the pilot and the final episode, and I was considering Clash of the Tritons and A Trip to the Dentist also. Any other suggestions?
Old 09-27-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think those four have to be included.

For the other one, I think I'd suggest either M.A.D. or An Echolls Family Christmas. Maybe the best plan would be to go with the four you mentioned and AEFC. If you have time for a sixth, add in M.A.D.
Old 09-28-05, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Veronica Mars Is Smarter Than Me

Nice article/review of the "Veronica Mars" season premiere.

Minor spoilers, but you might want to read it after the show.

The show gets a B+, but the reviewer seems concerned about UPN's decision to put this show up against "Lost" after it had such a strong summer showing.

It's just great to see this show getting positive attention like this.
Old 09-28-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't wait. I got hooked during the summer, as a friend made me copies (but I ordered the dvds afterwards) and made me watch the show. I am grateful, as I loved it so much. I can't wait for a new mystery. I hope it does better this year. The time it is coming on in most areas is awful. It comes on after Lost where I am though, so I don't have to choose.
Old 09-28-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't wait for this either, unfortunately I don't have a UPN affiliate out here, so I will have to rely on "friends." Like others, I watched the first season basically over one week, so it was pretty hard to not have any new episodes to watch after that. It was also a little hard to remember everything, but that just means I will have to rewatch it soon
Old 09-28-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, since this show seems to get so much praise, I am going to begin watching it tonight at the premiere as it seems interesting. Will I be real lost, or will tonight's premiere be a good starting point until the dvds come out?
Old 09-28-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Well, since this show seems to get so much praise, I am going to begin watching it tonight at the premiere as it seems interesting. Will I be real lost, or will tonight's premiere be a good starting point until the dvds come out?
In a chat on eonline.com, Rob Thomas says that people who come aboard tonight won't really be lost but that they'll learn things that will seriously compromise their enjoyment of the season 1 mystery.
Old 09-28-05, 06:23 PM

The only problem I have with this second season, is there is nothing left to the show.....

We know who killed Lilly, we know who raped Veronica...and we know who Veronica biological's dad is, so we know everything....what is left ?
Old 09-28-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JetSter735180
The only problem I have with this second season, is there is nothing left to the show.....

We know who killed Lilly, we know who raped Veronica...and we know who Veronica biological's dad is, so we know everything....what is left ?
I think after watching that outstanding season debut episode, the answer is clearly plenty.

I'm psyched for this season, and I'm glad I chose to watch this live while using the DVR for LOST.
Old 09-28-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked the way the writers ripped up last season's "alliances" and trumped up the antagonism amongst the principal guys (Weevil, Logan, and Duncan), as well as past female friend, Meg, and plunged us right back into a couple of mysteries with just the first episode (Logan's stabbing of one of Weevil's cronies, and the bus running off the road to its destruction).

Not sure if I like Veronica and Duncan, but looks like Logan has moved on quite nicely...

Last edited by Patman; 09-28-05 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-28-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
Not sure if I like Veronica and Duncan, but looks like Logan has moved on quite nicely...
AND HOW!

I love how they capitalized on the double entendre, too.

To think, some people have to be satisfied with some Maggie Grace cleavage while we saw bikini Charisma Carpenter.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.