DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Remember Dark Skies? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/439387-remember-dark-skies.html)

Cancer Man 09-26-05 02:37 PM

Remember "Dark Skies"?

Remember Dark Skies, a excellent sci-fi thriller starring Eric Close, Megan Ward and the late great JT Walsh? Dark Skies was a alien conspiracy thriller molded in the same style as the X-Files and was aired way back in 1996 on the NBC network. Did anyone else watch this good sci-fi series that was cancelled far too soon?

tronmaster 09-26-05 02:47 PM

I remember reading it on Starlog, the creator indicated that he had a 5-year story. Alternated between the 60s and present. But besides that I don't recall anything else.

1996 was so long ago. :(

Cartload 09-26-05 03:11 PM

I sure do remember thinking a lot about Megan Ward :hump:

Rockmjd23 09-26-05 05:53 PM

Worst of the X-files ripoffs.

Shannon Nutt 09-26-05 06:26 PM

I watched the pilot... didn't think very much of it.

Jimmy James 09-26-05 08:02 PM

Wasn't this part of a Saturday(?) night lineup that also included The Pretender and Profiler?

Rockmjd23 09-26-05 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Wasn't this part of a Saturday(?) night lineup that also included The Pretender and Profiler?

Yes, the Saturday night "Thrillogy" :lol:

rw2516 10-22-05 06:14 PM

Encore Mystery is airing the pilot. Don't know if any further eps. will be shown.

Jadzia 10-22-05 07:42 PM

I got nostalgic for this show while watching Invasion. Dark Skies had a much more interesting alien threat.

strife 10-22-05 10:11 PM

A reply will be done on 10/31. I remember this show being good and the second (?) season adding Jeri Ryan gave plenty to look at.

Rocketdog2000 10-22-05 10:19 PM

It was a decent show. Yet another - needs to be on DVD, surprised it isn't - one, at that. Sci-Fi channel used to air it a couple of years back. I, too, liked when Jerri Ryan came aboard in season 2. It was the first show I ever saw her in.

Kevin M. Dean 10-23-05 08:19 PM

There was only 1 season of the show. Ryan just shows up later.

sabre 10-24-05 07:25 AM

I remember this show. much better than threshold, surface and invasion. a ripoff of the x-files at the time but pretty good in its own right. majestic 12 aspect of the show made it very cool. jt walsh and eric close were very good. jeri ryan replaced megan ward after her character disappereared on the show.

Septemberbaby 10-24-05 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by sabre
jeri ryan replaced megan ward after her character disappereared on the show.

I have them on DVD and just rewatched them recently, Megan Ward didn't leave the show, she was on until the end. Her character, Kim left EC's character, John. Jeri Ryan, Juliet came in to help John and later became his love interest.
I think the timing of the show is what did it in. It couldn't compete with X-Files.
I think the narrator (Gregory Harrison) was supposed to come on in the 2 or 3rd season as a grown up John Loengard, and Eric Close was supposed to play John's son. Obviously, they were going to jump years.
I'm wondering why Encore just airs the pilot and never the entires series. It only ran for one season.

Cancer Man 10-30-05 11:41 AM

I think Dark Skies was shown quite often on the sci-fi channel, but with late time slots and out of order. I guess it's only a matter of time until Dark Skies sees an official DVD release. Other cult sci-fi shows like American Gothic, Nowhere Man and Space Above and Beyond have or will see DVD releases, so why not Dark Skies?

I imagine Dark Skies released on DVD will make a profit, considering it has a big cult following.