DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Desperate Housewives *Season Premiere* - "Next" - 9/25 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/439233-desperate-housewives-%2Aseason-premiere%2A-next-9-25-a.html)

MrX 09-25-05 02:50 AM

Desperate Housewives *Season Premiere* - "Next" - 9/25

"Next"
Spoiler:
Mike finds Zach holding Susan hostage; Lynette interviews for a position at a top ad agency; Rex's mother (Shirley Knight) arrives for his funeral; Gabrielle, feeling guilty, visits Carlos in jail.

Trelach24 09-25-05 07:56 PM

I'm thinking about jumping in and seeing what this is all about. I never watched an episode last season. Should I just start tonight or rent the DVDs of the first season?

Patman 09-25-05 08:18 PM

Why do I get the idea that the Applewhites appear to be mother and son, but are probably lovers (un-related) pretending to be mom and son?

Dr. DVD 09-25-05 08:58 PM

Interesting ep. Not sure I dig the whole "gimp" angle though.

kevin75 09-25-05 09:14 PM

lots of funny moments in a solid show.

-i got photoshop for christmas! :lol:

-[sarcasm]that woman who interviews lynette wasn't quite showing us her chesticles enough. they looked great, but they were way too subtle about it.[/sarcasm]

-was rex's mom was the "mista mista" lady from happy gilmore.

-she's family. that makes her "our bitch" :lol:

-at the end i was expecting sloth to jump out.

Snowmaker 09-25-05 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by kevin75
-was rex's mom was the "mista mista" lady from happy gilmore.

No.

calhoun07 09-25-05 09:27 PM

I thought Rex's mom was the mom from As Good As it Gets.

Patman 09-25-05 09:29 PM

Oops, I guess I was wrong about the familial link of the Applewhites, but they appear to have someone in the basement who's chained up, that seems strange, even for Wisteria Lane.

MrX 09-25-05 09:36 PM

Pretty good episode

Loved Bree stoping the funeral, lifting Rex out of the casket, and changing the tie:lol:

Snowmaker 09-25-05 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I thought Rex's mom was the mom from As Good As it Gets.

Rex's mom was played by Shirley Knight:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004309/

B.A. 09-25-05 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by MrX
Loved Bree stoping the funeral, lifting Rex out of the casket, and changing the tie:lol:

That was really the only worthwhile part of the ep for me - pretty damn funny, too.

Patman 09-25-05 10:04 PM

The sound Rex's body made when Bree pulled him up was ghastly!

Dr. DVD 09-25-05 10:05 PM

Now that I reflect upon it, I hope Marc Cherry has something interesting up his sleeve for the basement deal, because once a quirky show gets too weird, it can crash and burn pretty fast. I loved the ep. for the most part, but got a negative vibe from the end. My fear is that after all the accolades(sp.?) the first season got, the powers that be will give Cherry too much leadway and allow him to go hogwild with ideas that might be best left in his head. But who knows?

PacMan2006 09-26-05 12:41 AM

Anyone else get a weird, incest-type vibe with the Applewhites? **shudders**

NORML54601 09-26-05 02:45 AM

Is this going to be re-aired? I missed it the first time around.

Dr. DVD 09-26-05 07:53 AM

Not as much attention to this ep. so far around here. Then again, this isn't they typical stuff we talk hours on end about anyway.

RichardW 09-26-05 08:12 AM

I just watched the entire first season this past week in preparation for season two. My wife got me onto this show and I got her onto Lost. It's been fun watching both shows first seasons the past couple weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing how this season goes because the first season was very enjoyable.

xVladx 09-26-05 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Now that I reflect upon it, I hope Marc Cherry has something interesting up his sleeve for the basement deal, because once a quirky show gets too weird, it can crash and burn pretty fast. I loved the ep. for the most part, but got a negative vibe from the end. My fear is that after all the accolades(sp.?) the first season got, the powers that be will give Cherry too much leadway and allow him to go hogwild with ideas that might be best left in his head. But who knows?

Yeah, it does seem a little overboard. The whole deal with Mary-Alice was a bit over-the-top, but it was still a chain of events that were a little more believable, but this could end up being a bit too much. Of course, we'll probably have to wait the whole season to see how it plays out.

Charlie Goose 09-26-05 08:24 AM

I too am a little leery of whoever is chained in the basement. It could easily become a parody of what made the show successful. I wonder if this will be the main secret for the season, like Mary-Alice's suicide. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Funniest part was how Lynette assured her interviewer that four kids would not hamper her work in any way, and then showed up at the second interview with a baby. Then she tore into the poor receptionist for putting the baby down on the desk.

Geofferson 09-26-05 08:26 AM

Solid premiere last night -- glad to have this show back.

Jadzia 09-26-05 08:43 AM

Well I guess that open-casket puts aside any of the rumors that Rex isn't really dead. :lol:

I remember after the finale last season, many thought maybe the dotor who called Bree was lying, since they never showed Rex actually die.

Red Dog 09-26-05 08:51 AM

Excellent episode. That tie-change should go down as a classic unforgettable TV moment. Marcia Cross/Bree was fantastic is this one.

Loved Gabby acquisition of the DNA test. :lol: We also need more Gabby-in-towell scenes.

I like how they wrapped the S1 mystery up and are basically starting fresh.

Giles 09-26-05 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Trelach24
I'm thinking about jumping in and seeing what this is all about. I never watched an episode last season. Should I just start tonight or rent the DVDs of the first season?

same here, I watched it last night and I felt completely in the dark... however the cliffhanger like ending has me anxiousily waiting for the next episode.

Obey The D 09-26-05 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
Why do I get the idea that the Applewhites appear to be mother and son, but are probably lovers (un-related) pretending to be mom and son?

I only saw a few minutes of the episode, but I came to the same conclusion.

SMB-IL 09-26-05 09:48 AM

Pretty enjoyable episode, although I don't think that the Applewhites are lovers; the son was eyeing up Bree's daughter pretty good when they were at the house welcoming them to the neighborhood. Surprisingly, Bree didn't mention needing the basket back -- she MUST have been distraught! :lol:

Hopefully, the thing in the basement won't be looked back on as the moment this show jumped the shark. Time will tell.