DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Curb Your Enthusiasm Season Premiere, 9/25/05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/439199-curb-your-enthusiasm-season-premiere-9-25-05-a.html)

uteotw 09-24-05 06:08 PM

Curb Your Enthusiasm Season Premiere, 9/25/05

So excellent this is back. Funniest show on TV. Let Larry begin...

Snowmaker 09-24-05 09:30 PM

I had to give up my HBO, so I'll be torrenting this. :(

Bobbin 09-24-05 09:32 PM

Finally.

This and Extras are probably the main reason I still have HBO.

HE Pennypacker 09-24-05 10:04 PM

How exciting! The wait was far too long.

andicus 09-24-05 10:58 PM

Can't wait for this!

I was realizing that some of the funnier moments on this show are Larry's interaction with kids, especially giving them shit. He gets this hilarious face. Like when he's threatening Cheryl's nephew, Stewart because he won't tell him how to do the card trick. (Since Larry's NOT a magician)

Larry: "You going trick-or-treating tonight?"
Stewart: "Mmm Hmm"
Larry "I'm taking half that candy. Don't you say a word to her. You put it in the pantry, I'll divide it up. Understand?"

rotfl

Decker 09-25-05 12:35 AM

While I was HORRIBLY disappointed with last season, I'm up for another shot now. Up until then, it was my favorite comedy on TV (this was pre-Arrested Development), and I'm still very fond of Larry and Cheryl.
And, of course, nobody in the history of screen acting has ever cursed better than Susan.

Supermallet 09-25-05 08:39 AM

You thought season 4 was disappointing? I watched it and season 1 back to back and thought season 4 was better.

Also, I don't know if anyone saw this, but there is a hilarious internet banner ad for the new season. Damn IMDB won't let me link to it, but it's at the top of this page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264235/

GuessWho 09-25-05 05:11 PM

http://www.hbo.com/larrydavid/img/ho...emiere2005.jpg

johnglad 09-25-05 05:13 PM

Season 4 disappointing? I can think of several awesome episodes. The worst episodes of Curb are funnier (that is why we watch) than 95% of the half hour comedies on TV. Anyone know if it is widescreen HD on the HBO HD channel?

saoirse 09-25-05 07:12 PM

anyone know when it will be on Movie Central in canada?

Rypro 525 09-25-05 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by johnglad
Season 4 disappointing? I can think of several awesome episodes. The worst episodes of Curb are funnier (that is why we watch) than 95% of the half hour comedies on TV. Anyone know if it is widescreen HD on the HBO HD channel?

i doubt it.
Although i was surprised to see enterouge in standard.

astrochimp 09-25-05 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by saoirse
anyone know when it will be on Movie Central in canada?

Well for me here at 8:30(est) on MN1 cept right as it was to start my digital cable went out.Oh well guess it'll be on a few more times during the week.

mdc3000 09-25-05 09:35 PM

I thought the premiere started off slow, not too many funny bits, but as with any good Curb episode, as the things start to come back around towards episode end, it got pretty hilarious. The nanny on her deathbed had me laughing my ass off. Glad to have Larry back!

MATT

DamingR 09-25-05 10:39 PM

Good ep. Seems like we might have a good arc this time (unlike S4).

BDB 09-26-05 12:28 AM

I'm new to this, not sure why it took so long for me to start watching it I liked the ep, I have a vague idea who all the folks are in it.

Dissapointed in no HD :(

Supermallet 09-26-05 12:45 AM

This one was just okay, although the last scene at the deli worked very, very well, as did the nanny joke.

spainlinx0 09-26-05 02:22 AM

Really? I thought the nanny joke was predictable, and didn't make me laugh at all. However that first scene reminded me of when the same thing happened to me down the shore, and I felt the lack of air all over again. :)

coladar 09-26-05 03:26 AM

This has to be one of my least favorite episodes of the show, period. Started off incredibly slow, the main jokes (The sandwich, the adoption and the spilled drink) were, just in theory, extremely weak... And their execution didn't help. I actually didn't get so much as a chuckle from this episode, which is a first. Like Suprmallet said, the last scene at the deli brought it together nicely, but it couldn't save this episode.

Hopefully it was just a bad episode and not an omen of things to come. I really like this show, so I'm hoping for the best.

coli 09-26-05 04:13 AM

I was very suprised at how unfunny this episode was, and I LOVE this show. The only funny part was Larry and Richard Lewis yelling at each both times. Other than that is was a pretty flat episode.

Everything seemed forced, and just didn't play out like every CYE episode. It is the first show of the season, so I'm not worried too much, but after 4 seasons hopefully the show isn't starting to lose its luster.

I'm praying there is no shark sighting on the horizon, but the fact that the season opened in the ocean is a bad omen.

Dubya 09-26-05 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by coli
I was very suprised at how unfunny this episode was, and I LOVE this show.

My thoughts exactly. Susie was tamed down which is never a good thing ;)

brtcmfn 09-26-05 06:39 AM

I hope this is not an indication of the rest of the episodes for season 5- If so, It would probably be the last season- Not funny at all. Also in the past seasons episodes you were surprised as what was going to happen in the episode- In this episode you almost knew what was going to happen- :thmbsdwn:

Geofferson 09-26-05 08:31 AM

I thought last night's episode was quite funny. Season 5 is off to a good start, IMO. :up:

uteotw 09-26-05 09:02 AM

Thought it was OK, a few good laughs ("So this is your wife?" "What?!? NO!!"), but seemed somewhat forced. I'm sure it'll improve...

chanster 09-26-05 09:06 AM

I'm betting that Larry's character actually dies in the sea and this is the final season. Will we see at the end of the season that he actually died here? And all this is his final flashes?

I thought it was a solid episode for a first episode. These shows literally takes time to get going so you get all of the in-jokes and connections from previous shows.

chanster 09-26-05 09:14 AM

For anyone interested, here is Larry David's real wife:
http://www.lauriedavid.com/index.html#