Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Slightly O/T: Doctor Who Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-05, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slightly O/T: Doctor Who Question

I'd post this in music but as basically radio drama, it doesn't seem to apply....anyway....as a recent convert to Doctor Who, I'm wondering if anyone here has bought and listened to the "new" adventures of the Doctor produced by Big Finish and what were your thoughts? Most of the reviews on amazon have been mixed to positive but before I spend that kind of money I'd like a little more imput.
Thanks.
Old 09-24-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
In case you don't get a response here, you can always try the reviewers over here:

http://www.gallifreyone.com/reviews.php (2nd column has the audios)

I've listened to a few, mainly when I'm driving long distances in my car. It's a nice distraction, but it's hard for me to recreate an audio story in my mind and picture it. I listened to The Game recently, and found it boring. I'd stick with the highly rated ones.
Old 09-24-05, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, BBC 7 is broadcasting some of the 8th Doctor BF adventures, and I think you can hear them online. Go here for the schedule:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/drama/progpages/drwho.shtml

I've been listening to a lot of the Big Finishes lately. They're really good, and even though I generally like the new Doctor Who series, the Big Finish audios do a pretty nice job of giving me my old-school Who fix. My favorite one so far is "The One Doctor"....basically a comedy story with the 6th Doctor and Mel. Yep, both Colin Baker & Bonnie Langford, who I found painful to watch onscreen, have managed to be really fun on audio.

Do you like any particular Doctor, from the 5th-7th? All of them have good stories in the Big Finish line. I hate the 7th Doctor, but I've enjoyed the first two of his that I've listened to.

it's hard for me to recreate an audio story in my mind and picture it.
I've found it easier when I'm standing in line for something, or doing some brainless repetitive task, or lying in bed (I listen to these on my MP3 player). They require more concentration than music, or even podcasts, so yeah, I've found that it usually isn't fun to listen to them while you're actually doing something.

Last edited by areacode212; 09-24-05 at 10:41 PM.