DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   TVTalk Draft Tournament – Preliminary Rules Discussion (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/439070-tvtalk-draft-tournament-%96-preliminary-rules-discussion.html)

Groucho 09-23-05 11:36 AM

TVTalk Draft Tournament – Preliminary Rules Discussion

I recently completed this game over in the DVDTalk forum. It went very well, so I thought I’d take the game “On the Road” to other forums…beginning with TVTalk.

One of the problems I ran into in the first game was that I didn’t have all my rules squared away from the beginning, so I had to change things a lot. So, I thought with this tournament I would propose some rules, and then have everybody look them over and let me know if they had any suggestions or ideas. The draft itself will start Monday.

So, without further ado, here are my proposed rules for the TVTalk Draft Tournament:

The idea behind the game is that all the players would act as “Virtual Network Heads” and “Draft” a “Week’s Lineup” of 7 Television seasons (one for each day of the week), and then square off to see who has the programmed the best lineup. By draft, I mean selecting one season of a show at a time to add to your collection in turn (like in sports, or in grade school where captains would pick teams).

Detailed rules:

1. Draft picks are "first come, first serve."

2. After we have a full field of players, rounds will begin every 24 hours at 9am Pacific (excluding weekends). The DVDTalk server clock will be the official timekeeper, so watch your timestamps! Any picks made outside the official time will be ignored. You'll need to repost them within the correct time frame.

3. For each round, players can draft one season of any television show (for example: “Purple Bloomers – Season 6”). Players should also provide a brief description of that season (for example: “This season, Eddie Albert was replaced by Don Adams”). Once a season of a show has been drafted, no further seasons of that show can be selected by that player. Only two seasons of any particular show can be drafted overall.

4. Once everybody has drafted 7 television seasons, we’ll have a bracket tournament. You’ll be randomly paired up, and the forum will vote on who has the better “lineup” of shows from the draft.

5. Restrictions:
a. Regular series only. No mini-series, maxi-series, or made-for-tv movies.
b. The series must have run for at least six episodes (exception: new series that have just started their run)
c. Both current series and classic series are eligible to be drafted.
6. The field will be limited to 32 players.

7. If you miss two rounds in a row, I will replace you with an alternate. Alternates will enter the game in a "first come, first serve" fashion when this occurs, and will "inherit" the existing season.

8. SPECIAL NOTE: This game will take approximately two weeks to play (weekdays only). Please do not sign up if you don’t think you can play the entire time.

9. Draft picks will be tracked in the second post of the thread. Good luck, and have fun!

10. After all “lineups” have been drafted, the bracket tourney will begin, and continue for five rounds until we have a grand champion.

Please let me know if there’s anything you don’t understand.
None of these rules are set in stone, so please give me any and all ideas you might have to make the game more fun.

Cusm 09-23-05 11:48 AM

Is this going to be like "Groucho's Box Office Poker"?

auto 09-23-05 11:51 AM

Sounds good. I'm in.

Groucho 09-23-05 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cusm
Is this going to be like "Groucho's Box Office Poker"?

No, this game is actually fun and does not suck.

Scott27 09-23-05 11:53 AM

One thing that isn't clear in your rules is whether or not the TV shows that are picked have to be available on DVD.

Near the beginning of your rules, you say:

By draft, I mean selecting one DVD at a time to add to your collection in turn
But later in the rules, you say:

The series must have run for at least six episodes (exception: new series that have just started their run)
A new series that just started its run obviously isn't available on dVD yet.

Also, is it just current shows or past shows as well?

Groucho 09-23-05 11:59 AM

Thanks, scott27...

1. The "DVD" reference was a goof (leftover from the old rules) and has been changed to "show".

2. Added a note saying that current shows and classic shows are both eligible...after all this is a fantasy draft.

das Monkey 09-23-05 12:05 PM

I'm in.

We're drafting seasons, right? Not entire shows?

das

Scott27 09-23-05 12:07 PM

I'll do it.

Groucho 09-23-05 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
We're drafting seasons, right? Not entire shows?

It could go either way. Right now, it's written so that we'd be drafting entire shows. But seasons could be more interesting. I would add the restriction that you could only draft only one season from a particular show.

What does everybody think...seasons or shows?

das Monkey 09-23-05 12:10 PM

If the spirit of the contest is to have the best "Virtual Season", I'd go with seasons. It also makes the game more interesting, IMO. You can't just blindly name a popular show in hopes of getting cheap votes, because someone else could then draft a better season of that show. It will really force people to think.

das

Chew 09-23-05 12:11 PM

I'll give 'er a go too.

I vote for seasons, sounds more fun that way. Even some of the best shows have clunker seasons.

Jimmy James 09-23-05 12:11 PM

I think shows makes more sense than seasons because I imagine there are going to be a fair number of voters who don't understand that as an example ST:TNG Season 1 sucks while Season 4 is terrific. It's easier on the voters to not have to go out to tv.com and figure out exactly what happened when during a run.

If you're taking entrants in this thread and not just discussing rules, I'd like to join in.

Groucho 09-23-05 12:12 PM

The disadvantage of seasons is that they may be indistinguishable to a lot of people. Off the top of my head, I couldn't tell you what was in Seinfeld Season 4 vs. Seinfeld Season 5.

Oops, Jimmy James just said the same thing.

I'm not taking any official entries yet, but it's good to gauge interest.

cleaver 09-23-05 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
If the spirit of the contest is to have the best "Virtual Season", I'd go with seasons. It also makes the game more interesting, IMO. You can't just blindly name a popular show in hopes of getting cheap votes, because someone else could then draft a better season of that show. It will really force people to think.

das

I agree. If you take the entire show I'd take Sportscenter, someone would take the Tonight Show, etc. because they run forever. And the discussions when you're deciding whether to vote for a collection with NYPD Blue with David Caruso or Jimmy Smits, for example, would be fantastic.

cleaver 09-23-05 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I think shows makes more sense than seasons because I imagine there are going to be a fair number of voters who don't understand that as an example ST:TNG Season 1 sucks while Season 4 is terrific. It's easier on the voters to not have to go out to tv.com and figure out exactly what happened when during a run.

If you're taking entrants in this thread and not just discussing rules, I'd like to join in.

Dude, I could have really used your vote in the DVD draft. TNG S4 got no love.

das Monkey 09-23-05 12:18 PM

I guess it's a question of whether you want this to be a more in-depth thing that requires some active participation and some real thought or just another show popularity contest ("not that there's anything wrong with that" ;)). I'll play either way, but I'd find seasons much more intriguing as a participant or as a voter. We've already had a bunch of Show A vs. Show B tournaments around here, and we usually have the same results, more or less. Doing it again in this format would be fine, but going to seasons could be really interesting.

das

Cusm 09-23-05 12:19 PM

I think we should have to have x amount sitcoms, x aoumt of dramas, etc to make it more even. Maybe 1 Drama, 2 sitcom, 1 Reality show and the other 2 hours is up to the contestant.

auto 09-23-05 12:20 PM

I'm thinking shows are the way to go. Like Groucho said, it is not common knowledge which seasons of some shows are better than others. Not a problem if you're a huge "Buffy" fan. You know what season to pick right away. It becomes a problem when we get to the voting. How will a non-fan or a casual fan know which season to vote for? I also think 32 participants is a bit high. How many were in the DVD draft? Can we really get 32 people to follow the game for two weeks?

lordwow 09-23-05 12:20 PM

I'm in, this sounds awesome.

Groucho 09-23-05 12:21 PM

Well, this is a little different than the usual "Show vs. Show" threads in that there's a competitive element as to who is the best "network exec" and can put together the best "season" of shows.

If I do seasons, I think I will allow players to add a brief description of the season...for example: "Seinfeld Season 3...contains 'The Contest'"

Red Dog 09-23-05 12:22 PM

[Smails]Don't you people have homes?[/Smails]

;)

auto 09-23-05 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho

If I do seasons, I think I will allow players to add a brief description of the season...for example: "Seinfeld Season 3...contains 'The Contest'"

This might work.

Jericho 09-23-05 12:22 PM

I'll give in a shot, although I feel intimated by das' TV knowledge :)

Maybe I can act as his Costal Carolina or Middle Tenneesee State when the tournament comes and make a quick first round exit

lordwow 09-23-05 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm
I think we should have to have x amount sitcoms, x aoumt of dramas, etc to make it more even. Maybe 1 Drama, 2 sitcom, 1 Reality show and the other 2 hours is up to the contestant.

I'd hate to be stuck with the 32nd pick for Reality TV Show...

Jimmy James 09-23-05 12:25 PM

Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong, but won't 32 entrants with only five seasons make for the equivalent of a two team fantasy football league? We're talking about 160 total seasons here. 160 shows would create a very different dynamic. We're looking at the difference between:

ER, season 3
All In the Family, season 2
Buffy the Vampire Slayer, season 2
Seinfeld, season 4
MASH, season 5

And...

Seinfeld
L & O: SVU
Night Court
Trapper John, MD
The White Shadow

I think the point I'm making is that if seasons are the choice, it may work best if one of two things are done:

1) Only one season may be selected by *anyone*

OR

2) Each competitor should have to select at least double the number of shows currently contemplated and perhaps as many as 4 times as many