TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Threshold -- "Blood of the Children" -- 09/23/05

Old 09-23-05, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Threshold -- "Blood of the Children" -- 09/23/05

"Blood of the Children"
Spoiler:
When a man at a fast-food restaurant is murdered, Molly and her Red Team investigate and begin to suspect the involvement of a group of military cadets.

Cast: Carla Gugino, Charles S. Dutton, Brian van Holt, Robert Patrick Benedict, Brent Spiner, Peter Dinklage, Seamus Deaver , Jake Able , Cameron Monaghan, Steve McQueen, David Gautreaux, Arthur Santiago , DJ Evans, Mark Berry, Richard Cox, Julie Marie Berman.

Director(s): Bill Eagles.
Producer(s): Brannon Braga, David Heyman, David Goyer.
Writer(s): Anne McGrail.

Original Airdate: September 23, 2005.
Old 09-23-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Threshold 9/23/05

Tonight's episode was a mixed bag, but sort of compelling enough to watch because there are crumbs that the writers give us as to who is and isn't affected by the signal to keep the "mystery" going for now.

Of course, I had the "Can't Stop the Signal" vibe going through my head due to Serenity, but I digress.

Kudoes on the writer who thought it would be a good idea to have Gugino in a showered environment for no real reason in terms of the story (was that really the only way to keep the cadets at bay)?

I did like the little "Karen Sisco" nod with giving Molly the cover of U. S. Marshall.

The red team members seem to have too little to do, and Molly gets a lot of air time. J.T. is so over-the-top, I feel bad for Dutton at times.
Old 09-23-05, 10:42 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

A big dropoff from the pilot, but not terrible. For me I think it lost the isolation (and thus some of the spookiness) from the pilot with the crew going out into the "real world". I liked the fast food scenes, but the military school stuff started to lose my interest.
Old 09-23-05, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Karen Sisco was Carla Gugino's chance to shine, and they should have had enough sense to just move its night a couple of years back, but that didn't happen.

I love Carla, but having seen what I have of this show, I can tell it won't be long for this world. A sci-fi show on Friday nights is not going to last unless it's on Sci-Fi Channel, and from watching it I got the vibe that Gugino wishes she were somewhere else and not having to do something like this for a paycheck. But hey, who wouldn't want to work on a show with the former Data and Peter Dinklage?
Old 09-23-05, 11:51 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Thought it was ok.

I think she had him start light the paper on fire to trigger the alrm so they'd storm the place, but it's always a good idea to get her soaking wet
Old 09-24-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It was okay, but it wasn't as good as the pilot.

I'm a little confused now about how the infection actually spreads. In the Pilot, only the people who saw the alien snowflake actually started changing. The people who watched the video only got the altered theta waves. But in this episode, it looks like the kid and the janitor only saw an image or a resonance or something on the laptop but then they got infected from that. Are we just supposed to accept that the alien "virus" somehow inhabited the laptop and was able to spread from there?
Old 09-24-05, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The child explained that when he was using his laptop and asking for help that he could hear the knives sound. It's not seeing the snowflake, but the sounds that actually affect people. I liked this episode better because it didn't have the heavy handed dialogue of the first one.
Old 09-24-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This episode was a step down from an already bad pilot. I'm confused by all the positive reviews this show got. There really isn't much there that is enjoyable. I'll give it one more week before deleting my season pass.
Old 09-24-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That episode bored me to tears. I agree...a big drop off from the pilot. Not that the pilot was really anything extraordinary, but it had me interested. This episode only had me interested in the back of my eye lids. I seriously doubt continuing watching this series. When will it get good? Sweeps weeks? And by then who will give a flip?
Old 09-24-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Another new show bites the dust.

Didn't even finish watching this episode, and I erased the future recordings from my DVR.
Old 09-24-05, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Karen Sisco was Carla Gugino's chance to shine, and they should have had enough sense to just move its night a couple of years back, but that didn't happen.

I love Carla, but having seen what I have of this show, I can tell it won't be long for this world. A sci-fi show on Friday nights is not going to last unless it's on Sci-Fi Channel, and from watching it I got the vibe that Gugino wishes she were somewhere else and not having to do something like this for a paycheck. But hey, who wouldn't want to work on a show with the former Data and Peter Dinklage?
I still can't believe they cancelled Karen Sisco.
Old 09-24-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The writers need to come up with something better in regards to the whole alien infection scenario. So far, I find it very weak and stretching credibility.
Old 09-24-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess I'm just not sci-fied out like most of the people on this forum, because I still like this show just fine.

I liked the fact that we know that pre-pubecent kids are immune.

And if Carla keeps getting wet every episode - well, I just won't have a problem w/ that.
Old 09-24-05, 11:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Missed the ep due to equipment malfunction and being out, ugh. Liked the first ep, now hearing more bad than good for #2. Does anyone know if CBS is going to re-air this ep anytime this week? Would love to be able to see it before deciding whether to keep watching it...
Old 09-25-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This show kinda reminds me of Odyssey 5.
Old 09-25-05, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Manco
This show kinda reminds me of Odyssey 5.
Did that suck too?
Old 09-25-05, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah i'm liking the show too

Better than Invasion so far and good characters. Sure there are lots of plotholes but hey it's all fun.
Old 09-25-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Another new show bites the dust.

Didn't even finish watching this episode, and I erased the future recordings from my DVR.
Ditto.
Old 09-26-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought it was alright. I didn't like it any less than I did the pilot. They need to keep the suspense up though.

the consistency is pretty bad though. I don't know how the signal really affects people. Maybe it is the sound waves but then why isn't the three main characters infected. I also don't really like how there isn't a really big team on this. Instead of one pathologist acting as a physician, crime scene investigator, pathologist, or whatever else may suit him they should have teams of people with the main characters being the head of a department.
Old 09-26-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think this show has a great cast (Gugino, Dinklage, Spiner, Dutton) but the second episode was pretty weak. I liked the pilot a lot, but hope they can get it back on track soon. I'm willing to stick with it a few more weeks, but really hope it improves a bit....

MATT
Old 09-26-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was a pretty good episode. Spiner bugs me and it is weird to me that the big buff dude that is suppose to be guarding Gugino is always away doing something else when she needs help.
Old 09-26-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm liking it a lot as well.
Old 09-29-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I think this show has a great cast (Gugino, Dinklage, Spiner, Dutton) but the second episode was pretty weak. I liked the pilot a lot, but hope they can get it back on track soon. I'm willing to stick with it a few more weeks, but really hope it improves a bit....

MATT
My sentiments exactly.
The quality dropoff on this ep (vs the pilot) was very steep. Let's hope it was just a temporary dip.
Old 10-04-05, 02:34 PM

I'm just now watching this. Why did she hit the cadet with the book as he led her to the library? How did she suspect him?
Old 10-04-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I'm just now watching this. Why did she hit the cadet with the book as he led her to the library? How did she suspect him?
She saw blood on his hand or sleeve.