DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The O.C. - 09/22/05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/438899-o-c-09-22-05-a.html)

B.A. 09-22-05 07:15 AM

The O.C. - 09/22/05

"The End of Innocence", Episode #303.

Spoiler:
Marissa's mother, Julie, and Ryan's mentor, Sandy, try to keep the young couple apart.

Cast: Peter Gallagher, Benjamin McKenzie, Kelly Rowan, Adam Brody, Mischa Barton, Rachel Bilson, Melinda Clarke, Alan Dale, Tate Donovan, Jeri Ryan, Eric Mabius, Autumn Reeser, Michael Adler, Blake Robbins.
Producer(s): Josh Schwartz, Doug Liman, McG, Dave Bartis, Bob DeLaurentis.

Original Airdate: September 22, 2005.

The O.C.

B.A. 09-22-05 08:06 PM

Well, Kirsten is finally home - but it looks like she may now have a stalker.

I was disappointed to see Jimmy up and about the morning after.

I figured Caleb was either broke or he gave everything to Seth.

ruk 09-22-05 08:42 PM

decent episode.

meritocracy 09-22-05 09:55 PM

Tedious. I swear I'm almost at the breaking point with this show. It's been telegraphed as being in the works, and I'm used to them ditching characters left and right, but why bother even bringing Jimmy back only to have him depart like this?
The less said about the subplot with Jeri Ryan the better.
The school disciplinarian is like some atrociously written villian discarded by Seth during the developmental stage of his graphic novel.
Finally, the previews for next week make this show look like Mischa Barton starring in a horribly conceived movie airing on the lifetime network. On the bright side, I'm sure her histronic weeping will cause me to burst into a fit of hysterical laughter.

Patman 09-22-05 10:33 PM

This show has lost its edge, and it's just sputtering along.

Perhaps Kirsten's stalker was hoping to cash in since Kirsten was due an inheritance, and she appears to have money troubles. What will the stalker do when she finds out that Kirsten has nothing but a letter of apology from her father?

The whole intercutting between Ryan putting another notch on the bedpost, Jimmy getting the crap beat out of him, and I forget the 3rd subplot was pretty clumsily done.

The disciplinarian dude is such a cardboard villian.

JacksModernLife 09-22-05 10:47 PM

I don't know WHAT everyone is talking about! I think it's better than ever! So much more like S1!!! YAY!

meritocracy 09-22-05 10:49 PM

I think Jacks viewed a repeat on his DVR by accident. This show has strayed far from its S1 roots.

onebyone 09-22-05 10:51 PM

I am not amused about what went down with Jimmy. This episode really pissed me off.

superdeluxe 09-22-05 10:59 PM

Heh

I loved it heh.

aktick 09-22-05 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by meritocracy
Tedious. I swear I'm almost at the breaking point with this show. It's been telegraphed as being in the works, and I'm used to them ditching characters left and right, but why bother even bringing Jimmy back only to have him depart like this?
The less said about the subplot with Jeri Ryan the better.
The school disciplinarian is like some atrociously written villian discarded by Seth during the developmental stage of his graphic novel.
Finally, the previews for next week make this show look like Mischa Barton starring in a horribly conceived movie airing on the lifetime network. On the bright side, I'm sure her histronic weeping will cause me to burst into a fit of hysterical laughter.

Amen. I used to really like this show, but just watched the past two episodes and fast forwarded through half of it. This must be written for a young teenage audience? I mean, it's always been out there and stereotyped like crazy, but these past couple weeks are almost unbearable.

Ryan and Marissa's relationship is just always the same, and it's definitely not interesting anymore.

Thank God Jimmy is gone, he's been a lowlife in disguise since day 1.

Ryan and Marissa being expelled (which I'm assuming would be illegal if that was a public school?) was pathetic enough, then they go after Seth and Summer? The whole idea is just so asininely executed, I thought I was watching "North Shore" tonight (that bitchy girl HAS to have some dirt on the Dean, doesn't she?).

Sandy has always been the shows most interesting character for me, and he's the only one who might convince me to keep the Season Pass.

lordwow 09-23-05 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by aktick
Ryan and Marissa being expelled (which I'm assuming would be illegal if that was a public school?) was pathetic enough, then they go after Seth and Summer? The whole idea is just so asininely executed, I thought I was watching "North Shore" tonight (that bitchy girl HAS to have some dirt on the Dean, doesn't she?).

I think they're sleeping together. It seems too obvious.

Count Dooku 09-23-05 03:41 AM

Ryan and Marissa never had sex during Season One?? -confused-

spainlinx0 09-23-05 04:26 AM

I thought they had sex too. Maybe this was anal? :)

lordwow 09-23-05 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Ryan and Marissa never had sex during Season One?? -confused-

That depends on what your definition of "Had" is.

:lol:

Red Dog 09-23-05 08:33 AM

I thought they did the nasty in S1 as well. :lol:

Speaking of which, is it me or is it obvious that the Dean and Taylor are doing it?

Count Dooku 09-23-05 12:08 PM

is it me or is it obvious that the Dean and Taylor are doing it?
It might be too obvious, but then there's no such thing as "too obvious" for The OC. But don't be too hard on Mean Dean
http://gfx.filmweb.pl/p/155452/po.81735.jpg I'd tap that!

DeadLamb 09-23-05 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by B.A.
Well, Kirsten is finally home - but it looks like she may now have a stalker.

I think the correct term is a "sexy stalker"!!!!

as for the ep over all, I expect so very, very little from this show I'm rarely disapointed.. Even if it does make me feel sort of old as I sort of find the parent's story lines to be more intresting then anything going on with the kids.

of course I can't help but mutter "That's how we do it in the oc bitch!" every time someone gets punched on the show. Even if I think it was a little too much effort to drive to a beach area just to beat a person up.. Ah but that's good trashy B grade tv!! I think next season they all move out to this apartment building on Melrose that was rebuilt a few years ago after a bomb went off there or something.. -ptth-

lwhy? 09-23-05 01:10 PM

I wasn't too fond of this episode. Dean Hess is way too over the top. How can he threaten to get Seth and Summer expelled for Marissa being at the carnivale. I'm sure there were parents and other people who didn't go to Harbor there. It wasn't on school property and she was Ryan's guest that is just poor and sloppy writing. They could just give us a believable reason. It will get old fast if the "Dean of Discipline" just keeps going around trying to nail Seth and Summer.

On another note I was disappointed that they wrote Caleb as being broke. I wanted Seth to get all the money and go around saying Seth Coen millionaire. I wonder what the Coens are going to do for money now if the Newport Group is done. I'm sure Sandy and Kirsten have money saved up. I wonder if Kirsten is going to try to get a job or try being a stay at home mom.

I will keep watching. I don't like how this season is turning out so far. I am glad that Kirsten is back at home. One of the things that so great about season 1 was that whenever they had a big party Kirsten got blitzed. But, in season two they made her an alcoholic and killed her dad who was a great JR esque character. They now got rid of Jimmy again another character I like. They are either go to have to get some new interesting characters or bring Luke back for some comedic relief. On another note, I wonder if Adam Brody cutting his hair and getting rid of the curls made him lose his ability to be funny?

sureAV421 09-23-05 01:14 PM

shouldn't they just have killed Jimmy off? It seems a hell of a lot more interesting than him "leaving." i thought they did too, as he was lying face down in the water when they cut to commercial. This was the best ep of the new season, but doesn't touch anything from season 1. hell, why not just bring Oliver back, it would be alot more interesting than it is now.

Jonny2k1 09-23-05 01:16 PM

It really irked me when they billed this episode as "Ryan and Marissa's first time" because I'm pretty sure they got down on Season One. Maybe I'm a little rusty, but I'm pretty sure they did.

The disciplinarian is a freaking joke. I could see somebody being a hardass like that, but I don't see anybody standing for a threat of expulsion for absolutely no reason, especially when your dad is a lawyer.

I don't know where they are going with Jimmy. It they brought him back just to leave again I am going to be pissed. He's a great character, and I would have liked to see him stick around. I hope this season starts to pick up a bit, I really do.

lwhy? 09-23-05 01:20 PM

Ryan and Marissa never got down before last night. I am positive. I have been watching the great season one on dvd. She wanted to after the whole Oliver mess, but Ryan sent her packing.

riley_dude 09-23-05 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I thought they had sex too. Maybe this was anal? :)

Oh my god, I cant believe I just read that. :)

kenage 09-23-05 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog

Speaking of which, is it me or is it obvious that the Dean and Taylor are doing it?

Either that Red Dog or she wants to get it on with him which will lead to his leaving the school. The look she gave him during the rehearsal of the play was of longing I think.

Dalvin 09-23-05 06:21 PM

How are the ratings for this show this season? Are they comparable to what season 2 was during this time? I sure hope Fox renews this for a fourth season. I love this show!

garmonbozia 09-23-05 08:30 PM

I quit watching this show after the season premiere and the previews for the second episode. I don't think I can handle having to sit through Julie Cooper's 19th plot to have Ryan either kicked out of the neighborhood or sent to jail.

This show has just become tired and dull and from the majority of posts in this thread, it doesn't look like I have been missing much so far. I doubt I will even miss this show much at all......

I really liked season 1, but season 2 was just soooo tedious and ridiculous. The last few episodes of season 2 were better, but it was too little too late. I completely agree with another poster in a previous O.C. thread who said that season 1 was a great parody of a bad teen soap, while season 2 WAS a bad teen soap. It's sad but true......