DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   TV Shows no one knows about (Current or Cancelled)? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/438773-tv-shows-no-one-knows-about-current-cancelled.html)

gimmepilotwings 09-21-05 09:03 AM

TV Shows no one knows about (Current or Cancelled)?

I would like to come up with a list of TV shows that could be considered hidden gems. There are shows that for some reason do not do good in the ratings, but are great shows nonetheless.

I'll start off with Murder One. (Aired 1994-1996 I believe) I recently grabbed the first season on DVD and was amazing at the writing and the direction of the show. It reminded me of a "24" style shows, with a legal backdrop.

Anyone else have any other shows that they would be willing to share?

Groucho 09-21-05 10:09 AM

Arrested Development without a doubt.

Pointyskull 09-21-05 10:12 AM

Wonderfalls
Upright Citizens Brigade
Strangers With Candy
Starved
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Dead Like Me
Millennium
Stella

Chew 09-21-05 10:15 AM

If you're a fan of Rescue Me, then you should be sure to see The Job as well.

Michael Corvin 09-21-05 10:48 AM

Nowhere Man [1995]starring Bruce Greenwood. Ahead of its time, the whole season was one storyline ala 24 or Lost. Comes out on DVD in Dec. :up:

Mr. & Mrs. Smith [1996]starring Scott Bakula (post QL, pre-Enterprise) & Maria Bello :hump:, as well as Keith David. Lasted 13 episodes.

then you have the popular choices that aren't so hidden on this forum:

Sports Night

Freaks & Geeks

Undeclared

Arrested Development

Legolas 09-21-05 12:24 PM

Short-lived shows:

Boomtown
Brimstone
Undeclared
The Adventures of Briscoe County, Jr.

Red Dog 09-21-05 12:27 PM

Knows about in here or knows about in general? ;)

louiseb 09-21-05 01:14 PM

Maximum Bob
Cupid

(sigh) neither on DVD. Looking forward to American Gothic on DVD

William Fuld 09-21-05 01:24 PM

Profit

nightwing82 09-21-05 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Arrested Development without a doubt.

It seems to me that everyone knows about the show and still doesn't want to watch it -- and I can't blame them.

pinata242 09-21-05 01:45 PM

Carnivale

Nick Martin 09-21-05 02:04 PM

"Kindred: The Embraced" (1996) ...it's on a barebones DVD, and I really took to it.

A kind of Vampire soap based on a popular role-playing game.

I was shocked to learn that the show's star (and primary reason to watch the show) Mark Frankel, was killed in a motorcycle crash...

It also featured C.Thomas Howell, Kelly Rutherford, and Buffy/Star Trek guest star Jeff Kober.

"The Visitor" (1997) was a series that had a sort of X-files/Touched By An Angel feel to it, from the makers of "ID4" and "Stargate". Since I am a fan of both movies (especially ID4) I had to watch it, and it was quite good. It featured John Corbett (Sex and the City, My Big Fat Greek Wedding -film), Steve Railsback (best known for playing Charles Manson in a docudrama) and Firefly/Angel 's Adam Baldwin- who also appeared in ID4.

I wish Fox released it on DVD. It was only 13 episodes long.

fujishig 09-21-05 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by nightwing82
It seems to me that everyone knows about the show and still doesn't want to watch it -- and I can't blame them.

Ouch...

Daniel-A 09-21-05 04:40 PM

AD rules. :(

Definitely Dead Like Me. Can't believe they let it get canceled. People are too obsessed with HBO. :(

Nesbit 09-21-05 04:56 PM

There was this one show on in the late 80's/early 90's called Dearly Departed. I don't remember much about the show other than it was about a couple who had died and they "Haunted" their old house. It had the WORST theme song ever. If anyone knows anything about this show I would appreciate it.

JasonF 09-21-05 05:05 PM

Action, starring Jay Mohr, Buddy Hackett and Illeana Douglas was an absoultely phenomenal show. I wish it would come out on DVD.

JasonF 09-21-05 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
There was this one show on in the late 80's/early 90's called Dearly Departed. I don't remember much about the show other than it was about a couple who had died and they "Haunted" their old house. It had the WORST theme song ever. If anyone knows anything about this show I would appreciate it.

Are you perhaps thinking of "Nearly Departed" starring Eric Idle?

kvrdave 09-21-05 05:10 PM

You would expect with a title like this that the thread would be empty.

Nesbit 09-21-05 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
Are you perhaps thinking of "Nearly Departed" starring Eric Idle?

That's it. Thanks a lot.

nightwing82 09-21-05 06:42 PM

I have at least the pilot episode of "Nearly Departed" on tape somewhere. Eric Idle and his wife are dead and walk around their old house. Only the Grandpa that moves in with the new family can see them. I don't think the theme song was "the worst ever" though heh.

Daniel-A 09-21-05 06:43 PM

Adding: Parker Lew Can't Lose, Herman's Head, and Inside Schwartz.

sauce07 09-21-05 06:47 PM

Cop Rock!!!!!

nightwing82 09-21-05 06:54 PM

I remember Inside Schwartz! That wasn't bad at all.

I remember NBC made fun of cancelling it on their anniversary special.

Manco 09-21-05 06:55 PM

Mi-5

Emma311 09-21-05 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by louiseb
Maximum Bob
Cupid
(sigh) neither on DVD.

Originally Posted by JasonF
Action, starring Jay Mohr, Buddy Hackett and Illeana Douglas was an absoultely phenomenal show. I wish it would come out on DVD.

I enjoyed all of the above. Plus I really liked the Fantasy Island remake (I adore Malcolm McDowell). Another show that I thought was cool was Snoops.

I couldn't believe it when Dark Angel was first released on dvd. It seems like when it was on that no one watched it but my sister & I.

I can't even try to watch Arrested Development just because I can't stand Bateman.