DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   anyone watching Breaking Bonaduce? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/438062-anyone-watching-breaking-bonaduce.html)

tommy28 09-15-05 12:45 PM

anyone watching Breaking Bonaduce?

on VH1,and im happy to say the show is a fucking train reck waiting to happen....

im hooked.

Bill Needle 09-15-05 02:08 PM

I made the fatal mistake of capturing the first show and watching. Something about this guy makes me want to watch. So now, thanks to the magic of a DVR, I'm stuck for the duration. It definitely is not the run of the mill follow around a celebrity show (like Hogan Knows Best, etc).

Bandoman 09-15-05 02:26 PM

After hearing the Bonaduccis on Stern this morning, I'll be checking this out. It promises to bring the drama. :up:

THX7966 09-15-05 02:35 PM

Did anyone catch Danny on the View? Star Jones could not hide her hate for him, she said almost nothing during the entire interview.

tommy28 09-15-05 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bandoman
After hearing the Bonaduccis on Stern this morning, I'll be checking this out. It promises to bring the drama. :up:

thats what got me watching....before Stern, i had no interest in this show...

caught the show today and im hooked..

calhoun07 09-15-05 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by THX7966
Did anyone catch Danny on the View? Star Jones could not hide her hate for him, she said almost nothing during the entire interview.

She's one to talk about anybody else? She lives so far up her ass, her head is in her stomach.

Bill Needle 09-15-05 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by THX7966

:) More reason to like him.

Giantrobo 09-15-05 05:02 PM

I wonder if they'll address why Danny left Star 98 in LA? I used to edit that show for XM radio and I thought it was very funny.

I loved the promos that showed him going apeshit over Gretchen's Party with the male strippers. :lol:

beavismom 09-15-05 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I wonder if they'll address why Danny left Star 98 in LA? I used to edit that show for XM radio and I thought it was very funny.

I loved the promos that showed him going apeshit over Gretchen's Party with the male strippers. :lol:

They fired him. I am sure it will be part of the show. There was a lot of dirty laundry that was aired when he went to rehab including that he was using drugs and alcohol during the show and was living at the station. Star has made changes to the format lately and Jamie really didn't like him anyway.

There is something about how honest he is about not being a good person that makes you want to see what is going to happen next though.

clemente 09-15-05 07:09 PM

As a Star morning listener....I just loved small doses of Stench and Monica.

dolphinboy 09-15-05 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by beavismom

There is something about how honest he is about not being a good person that makes you want to see what is going to happen next though.

That's how I feel. I accidently found myself watching it and I couldn't turn the channel.

The fact that it's a honest trainwreck and not contrived, makes it really hard to not want to see what happens.

Charlie Goose 09-15-05 10:19 PM

Watching celebrities like Ozzy, Bonaduce, Busey, A.N. Smith, etc. wallow in their own drug-induced neuroses and various states of brain damage offer no entertainment value for me in the least.

DRG 09-15-05 10:30 PM

Every time I see the title of this show, I read it as Breakin' Bonaduce. I keep picturing Danny Bonaduce in parachute pants doing headspins and windmills.

Big Quasimodo 09-16-05 04:52 AM

Actually, the fact that it's not contrived and that he's a real alcoholic/addict with a wife and kids makes it particularly pathetic to me. It reminds me of Chyna Doll on Surreal Life 4, except there are kids involved, which makes it (much) worse.

I have always liked Danny, because he appears much smarter and more real (honest) than the average celeb (which makes him well-suited to reality TV), but the idea that he is pimping his marriage, family, and addictions out for cash leaves is highly distasteful worries the living shit out of me.

It's a fairly common trait of addicts who are not in recovery to play the "I know I'm fucked up/bad person/etc" gambit to avoid doing something about their addictions. Anyone with an ounce of self-awareness knows that denial isn't gonna fly......

beavismom 09-16-05 07:18 AM

It is funny because he is honest, but not honest all the time. He had been clean and sober for a little while before the show but he said he knew it would get higher ratings if he wasn't so he used that as an excuse to do what he wanted. He has always said he would do just about anything to get money to support his family. He was in negotiations to be on Surreal Life but he couldn't do the radio show from there so they said no.

I do feel bad for his family because I know they love him and that has got to suck.

beavismom 09-16-05 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by clemente
As a Star morning listener....I just loved small doses of Stench and Monica.

I started out listening to Jamie, Frosty and Frank in Denver and kept up with the show as they (and I) moved. I didn't like the show with Danny at first but it grew on me. I don't care for the new lineup yet, but maybe it will grow on me too. A bad day of that show is better than a great day of the morning shows in Austin though...

Bill Needle 09-16-05 09:46 AM

He was in negotiations to be on Surreal Life but he couldn't do the radio show from there so they said no.

That would be sweet.

beavismom 09-16-05 03:53 PM

Well, since he isn't on the radio anymore it could happen.

Giantrobo 09-16-05 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Watching celebrities like Ozzy, Bonaduce, Busey, A.N. Smith, etc. wallow in their own drug-induced neuroses and various states of brain damage offer no entertainment value for me in the least.

Thanks for sharing. :p:lol:

Anyway, Jamie has a strange knack for getting co-hosts fired or at least, "magically" surviving mass show firings. That whole radio show was a fun mess. Jamie was the psycho slut, and Danny was always about to fall off the wagon. Apparently he was pretty much never on the wagon.

GoldenJCJ 09-16-05 06:33 PM

I started out listening to Jamie, Frosty and Frank in Denver and kept up with the show as they (and I) moved. I didn't like the show with Danny at first but it grew on me. I don't care for the new lineup yet, but maybe it will grow on me too. A bad day of that show is better than a great day of the morning shows in Austin though...

I used to listen to "Frosty, Frank, and Jamie" here in Denver too. Once they movied to L.A. Jamie got a big head (notice the show changed to "Jamie, Frosty, and Frank) Once Frosty and Frank were gone Jamie's head got HUGE anf while I still listen to Jamie and Danny, it was never quite as funny.

beavismom 09-16-05 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I used to listen to "Frosty, Frank, and Jamie" here in Denver too. Once they movied to L.A. Jamie got a big head (notice the show changed to "Jamie, Frosty, and Frank) Once Frosty and Frank were gone Jamie's head got HUGE anf while I still listen to Jamie and Danny, it was never quite as funny.

I'm don't want to sound like a suck-up here, but as proven, the other folks were replacable. Danny flat out said that he was hired before she even knew about it and she was very hostile to him in the beginning. I think she made the best of what she could and kept her job. I think Jamie had a role in getting Danny fired, but I don't think she was that much a part of Frosty and Frank. I don't think the new lineup will make it but who knows.

Radio is a cutthroat business and you don't see many (if any) other females as leads on the morning drive in major markets. Jamie is willing to put all her psycho dirty laundry on the air and it makes for interesting radio. Some people get tired of it, but I think most come back because it is interesting. That is the same reason I still listen... I can listed to the locals here talk about the boring things they did the past weekend or I can listen to Jamie talk about almost getting arrested because she climbed through the doggie door to spy on her boyfriend. A train wreck for sure, but a funny train wreck to me.

GoldenJCJ 09-17-05 09:31 AM

I actually agree with you. If I remember correctly, Danny was originally called in temporarily, to fill in for Frosty, who I believe was having cosmetic surgery (I guess his head got fairly big as well). I'm guessing the producers liked the original chemistry between Jamie and Danny, and the fact that Danny was somewhat well known didn't hurt either.

I don't know who the new team is, Once Jamie and Danny were pulled here in Denver, they weren't replaced.

beavismom 09-17-05 10:26 PM

It is Jamie, Jack and Stench (the producer guys). They were a bigger part of the show when Danny went off to rehab and I guess the ratings stayed the same so the station went with them. They are too annoying long term to stay though, in my opinion.

I doubt they will be back on in Denver since they don't really fit with any format except for 105.9 or Mix and I don't think either or those is an option. I listen to the streaming audio online so I guess I will continue to listen for a while.

Anyway, back to the original thread topic...

MovieExchange 09-17-05 10:35 PM

I'm too cynical, I guess. From what little I've seen and heard, I'm firmly convinced that this is 100% scripted like most other "reality" shows. They're just trying to make it seem more over the top, thinking that way people will believe it's real.

brtcmfn 09-17-05 11:23 PM

I saw the 1st episode and was not really impressed.
Here we go again another actor/actress who goes from one vice to another. First it's drinking and women, then he goes to seek help and then starts taking steriods.