Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Everybody Hates Chris Premiere Ep DVD in latest Entertainment Weekly [Nip/Tuck Cover]

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Everybody Hates Chris Premiere Ep DVD in latest Entertainment Weekly [Nip/Tuck Cover]

Old 09-12-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the latest issue last Friday.

Besides an annoying talking "My Name Is Earl" ad, it also includes a DVD with the first ep of "Everybody Hates Chris". Haven't sat down to watch it yet. But I am slightly looking forward to it.
Old 09-12-05, 05:08 PM

Ooh, just received mine today.
Old 09-12-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not worth the time or effort.

The show recycles a gag from "Dazed & Confused" (who for all I know recycled it from someplace else) and fails miserably to bring the funny.

I was amazed by the breadth of music samples in the show. I can't imagine that would continue for any length of time - but there must have been 10 samples of 80's period R&B / soul in the premiere episode.
Old 09-12-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Caught the pilot episode on a recent international flight. I liked it. I laughed out loud several times and plan on adding a Season Pass. It had a kind of Malcom in the Middle vibe to me, but urbanized.

Yes, I know urban is marketing-speak for African American.
Old 09-12-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

the minute this show has the dad telling everyone to use every inch of toilet paper because each piece costs $0.03 I'm done.
Old 09-12-05, 10:48 PM

I've been hearing a lot of buzz about this show, but I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. I've never seen Malcolm in the Middle, but it reminded me a little of The Wonder Years, and even Freaks and Geeks to an extent--a period show about growing up, where the emphasis is on believable characters & situations more than getting cheap laughs. I hope it does well.

Last edited by areacode212; 09-12-05 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-13-05, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My magazine didn't have a talking Earl ad or a Chris DVD. Is it because I live in a red state?
Old 09-13-05, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the Chris DVD today. My copy also has the first episode of How I Met Your Mother.

But it came by itself, not with the magazine.
Old 09-13-05, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
My magazine didn't have a talking Earl ad or a Chris DVD. Is it because I live in a red state?
Nah. I'm in the blue state of Wisconsin and didn't get it either.
Old 09-13-05, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Last week's had the Earl DVD, but there was no Chris DVD in this week's issue (MN).
Old 09-13-05, 10:22 AM

Nor mine (TX)
Old 09-13-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really enjoyed it. I'll be trying to catch future episodes. Definately a lot like The Wonder Years -- but focuses more on the comedy.
Old 09-13-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm completely stymied.

What, precisely, did people find laugh-out-loud hilarious in this premiere episode?

All I saw was cliche after cliche after cliche.
Old 09-13-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grunter
I'm completely stymied.

What, precisely, did people find laugh-out-loud hilarious in this premiere episode?

All I saw was cliche after cliche after cliche.
I'm not very good at describing why I like things -- which is why I'm probably not a reviewer.

However, I'll give it a try. I thought Rock's narration was amusing. I like the kid who plays little Chris. I thought he was good. I enjoyed the humor involving the fight, the dad being weird about money, etc. even though I've seen it before.

Overall, I just thought it was well done and well written. Completely original? No. But 10 times better than most sitcoms on their air right now.