DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Everybody Hates Chris Premiere Ep DVD in latest Entertainment Weekly [Nip/Tuck Cover] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/437683-everybody-hates-chris-premiere-ep-dvd-latest-entertainment-weekly-%5Bnip-tuck-cover%5D.html)

Rogue588 09-12-05 04:05 PM

Everybody Hates Chris Premiere Ep DVD in latest Entertainment Weekly [Nip/Tuck Cover]

Got the latest issue last Friday.

Besides an annoying talking "My Name Is Earl" ad, it also includes a DVD with the first ep of "Everybody Hates Chris". Haven't sat down to watch it yet. But I am slightly looking forward to it.

Jadzia 09-12-05 04:08 PM

Ooh, just received mine today.

grunter 09-12-05 05:30 PM

Not worth the time or effort.

The show recycles a gag from "Dazed & Confused" (who for all I know recycled it from someplace else) and fails miserably to bring the funny.

I was amazed by the breadth of music samples in the show. I can't imagine that would continue for any length of time - but there must have been 10 samples of 80's period R&B / soul in the premiere episode.

cliffzig 09-12-05 06:53 PM

Caught the pilot episode on a recent international flight. I liked it. I laughed out loud several times and plan on adding a Season Pass. It had a kind of Malcom in the Middle vibe to me, but urbanized.

Yes, I know urban is marketing-speak for African American.

ChrisHicks 09-12-05 07:21 PM

the minute this show has the dad telling everyone to use every inch of toilet paper because each piece costs $0.03 I'm done.

areacode212 09-12-05 09:48 PM

I've been hearing a lot of buzz about this show, but I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. I've never seen Malcolm in the Middle, but it reminded me a little of The Wonder Years, and even Freaks and Geeks to an extent--a period show about growing up, where the emphasis is on believable characters & situations more than getting cheap laughs. I hope it does well.

Count Dooku 09-13-05 03:42 AM

My magazine didn't have a talking Earl ad or a Chris DVD. Is it because I live in a red state?

JP5683 09-13-05 04:19 AM

I got the Chris DVD today. My copy also has the first episode of How I Met Your Mother.

But it came by itself, not with the magazine.

Chew 09-13-05 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
My magazine didn't have a talking Earl ad or a Chris DVD. Is it because I live in a red state?

Nah. I'm in the blue state of Wisconsin and didn't get it either.

Geofferson 09-13-05 09:16 AM

Last week's had the Earl DVD, but there was no Chris DVD in this week's issue (MN).

snoogins 09-13-05 09:22 AM

Nor mine :( (TX)

DodgingCars 09-13-05 11:35 AM

I really enjoyed it. I'll be trying to catch future episodes. Definately a lot like The Wonder Years -- but focuses more on the comedy.

grunter 09-13-05 11:54 AM

I'm completely stymied.

What, precisely, did people find laugh-out-loud hilarious in this premiere episode?

All I saw was cliche after cliche after cliche.

DodgingCars 09-13-05 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by grunter
I'm completely stymied.

What, precisely, did people find laugh-out-loud hilarious in this premiere episode?

All I saw was cliche after cliche after cliche.

I'm not very good at describing why I like things -- which is why I'm probably not a reviewer. :)

However, I'll give it a try. I thought Rock's narration was amusing. I like the kid who plays little Chris. I thought he was good. I enjoyed the humor involving the fight, the dad being weird about money, etc. even though I've seen it before.

Overall, I just thought it was well done and well written. Completely original? No. But 10 times better than most sitcoms on their air right now.