Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Whoa.. I just got On Demand! Woo hoo!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Whoa.. I just got On Demand! Woo hoo!

Old 09-12-05, 01:24 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 9,424
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Whoa.. I just got On Demand! Woo hoo!

I was playing around with my Moxi the other day, and all of a sudden, there was this new "on Demand" button in the menu. I clicked it, and I've got access to truckloads of stuff on demand: hbo, showtime, starz, cinemax, etc...

I've always been jealous of you guys in the big city markets talkin about how cool On Demand is. I can't believe it finally made it to my dinky little town in Minnesota. I'm a bit bummed that none of it is in HD, though, and it doesn't appear like you can record anything with the moxi, either.

So who else has On Demand? What do you watch on it? There's so much stuff there, I'm kind of overwhelmed.
Old 09-12-05, 01:29 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lyon Estates
Posts: 10,795
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there's some pretty good music videos on there. the free movies are pretty weak. the nfl network has some nice docs on there too. it'll lose it's shine pretty soon. I have hbo also and it's nice to have Curb Your Enthusiasm S4 available whenever. I'm not really into any of the other shows since the seasons they're showing are newer ones and I'd like to start from the beginning. There's personal ads from your area, as well, in On Demand.....which are both amusing and depressing.
Old 09-12-05, 01:34 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 9,424
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Personal ads? I didn't see those... I did notice they had infomercials On Demand!
Old 09-12-05, 01:40 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,978
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't been able to check yet, but I think the NFL Network is supposed to have extensive highlights from every game.

Lately I watch random things from Discovery Channel, History Channel, and such that I don't normally watch. Mostly I've used it for watching HBO and Showtime series. Sometimes I'll check out the music section, but one thing annoys me with the guide they use here. After you finish watching something you have to start at the main menu. IIt's not a big deal for most things but if you watch a 4 minute music video, you have to navigate back to where you were at the beginning to watch another one.
Old 09-12-05, 01:44 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 9,424
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Roto
I haven't been able to check yet, but I think the NFL Network is supposed to have extensive highlights from every game.

Lately I watch random things from Discovery Channel, History Channel, and such that I don't normally watch. Mostly I've used it for watching HBO and Showtime series. Sometimes I'll check out the music section, but one thing annoys me with the guide they use here. After you finish watching something you have to start at the main menu. IIt's not a big deal for most things but if you watch a 4 minute music video, you have to navigate back to where you were at the beginning to watch another one.
That'd odd, mine works just the opposite. It takes you back right where you were in the menus when a show is done. That's actually kind of annoying, since the next time you hit the Moxi "Main Menu" button on the remote, instead of getting the Moxi Main Menu, it brings you to where you were deep down in the on demand menu. THen you have to hit back, back, back, back, back to get to the main menu.
Old 09-12-05, 01:50 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Exit 151
Posts: 9,048
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I mostly use it for watching, and re-watching various HBO series. It's fun and convenient to be able to watch a few episodes of The Wire, Deadwood, or OZ (for instance) anytime I feel like it without having to buy the DVD box sets.
I've never purchased an On Demand movie though. Mostly cause they seem to hit OD about three weeks after they are released to DVD so I always get it from Netflix prior to that.
Old 09-12-05, 01:56 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,978
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeblow69
That'd odd, mine works just the opposite. It takes you back right where you were in the menus when a show is done.
Yeah, I figured some of the guides probably do it right. Comcast uses Motorola boxes out here with a Microsoft guide. Washington is the only state using the MS guide as far as I know. It's better than the old TV Guide one, but navigating OnDemand and disabling the 30 second skip button on the DVRs bug me.
Old 09-12-05, 04:37 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16,970
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Personal Ads? Why can't we have that on my ON DEMAND?! I'm always looking for a hook-up after watching an episode of ROME.
Old 09-12-05, 04:52 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,983
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You will be able to see Stern's new show. You suck.
Old 09-12-05, 04:56 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: MN
Posts: 1,558
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roto
Yeah, I figured some of the guides probably do it right. Comcast uses Motorola boxes out here with a Microsoft guide. Washington is the only state using the MS guide as far as I know. It's better than the old TV Guide one, but navigating OnDemand and disabling the 30 second skip button on the DVRs bug me.
Comcast just switched the guide their using here, wonder if it's the MS one. Used to be the TV Guide one, guess I'll have to check.
Old 09-12-05, 06:59 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Raul3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Picture a cup in the middle of the sea
Posts: 10,705
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most probably, if it's blue then it's the MS one. We have the MS one in the bay area too.

And yes, you can check highlights from all the NFL games, it'll show all the TD and FG. I also like to watch the trailers for movies that are there.
Old 09-12-05, 08:34 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,263
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
You will be able to see Stern's new show. You suck.
yeah but we have to pay for it, its not going to be free.
Old 09-12-05, 08:58 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,983
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
yeah but we have to pay for it, its not going to be free.
Still having the ability to see it is better than not having the ability at all.
Old 09-12-05, 09:53 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: MN
Posts: 1,558
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raul3
Most probably, if it's blue then it's the MS one. We have the MS one in the bay area too...
Yep, we have the MS one here now.
Old 09-13-05, 01:47 AM
  #15  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raul3
Most probably, if it's blue then it's the MS one. We have the MS one in the bay area too.
Hmm, but I changed the colors on the cable box to green since I thought that looked better. I guess I'll notice a change either way, but I wonder if that blue will override the green pref I set? (Insert MS forcing-you-to-go-their-way joke here).

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.