DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   How much live TV do you watch if you have Tivo or DVR? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/437516-how-much-live-tv-do-you-watch-if-you-have-tivo-dvr.html)

DJariya 09-11-05 01:44 AM

How much live TV do you watch if you have Tivo or DVR?

For me, I really don't watch any live TV anymore unless it's the news or a sporting event. Pretty much every show I watch regularly, I have a season pass on Tivo and watch it at my convenience.

rkndkn 09-11-05 05:26 AM

I have 3 DVD recorders, and even if I'm around and available, I will let the show begin recording and "chase play". I hate sitting through commercials!

About the only things I watch "live" are the elimination show of "Rockstar: INXS" and basketball.

lisadoris 09-11-05 06:59 AM

I think I'm going to be in the minority here but I still watch everything live. I use the DVR for conflicts and when I'm not home.

Tazwolff 09-11-05 07:25 AM

The news is pretty much the only live TV I watch. All the other TV shows on are already pre-recorded anyway so watching them “live” isn’t possible unless you’re on set.

Goldberg74 09-11-05 07:29 AM

Just a few shows... if I'm not busy.

pilot 09-11-05 08:27 AM

I try to record everything I want to watch during the week and then watch it on Friday/Saturday/Sunday ..except where there are two shows on at the same time I want to watch, I try to watch the one and record the other (I need a second DVR!)

seymouru 09-11-05 10:13 AM

I have four DVRs. If I ever happen to be watching something live like sports or news, as soon as a commercial hits I press the record button and start watching something that's already been recorded.

Josh H 09-11-05 10:50 AM

Pretty much just watch sports live.

tasha99 09-11-05 12:33 PM

I always use Tivo, and if it's something I just can't wait to watch, I at least let it get 20 minutes ahead of me so I can fast forward through commercials.

Michael Corvin 09-11-05 12:43 PM

Of the past season, if it is in HD I usually watch it live as I had no way to record it. Up until last week when I got my HD-DVR box, that is. So those numbers will slightly skew the opposite direction this season, I'm sure.

ChrisHicks 09-11-05 12:57 PM

I tivo everything. there's nothing like watching 3 hour long shows in under 2hrs. 15min. it is a great time saver for us since we watch alot of tv shows throughout the week.

nightwing82 09-11-05 03:46 PM

I still watch 90% shows of the shows I have it set to tape live. The PVR is more-so there to be a "just in case" I am unable to watch the show.

Deftones 09-11-05 03:56 PM

I only watch sporting events live anymore.

Bill Needle 09-11-05 11:54 PM

I watch almost nothing live any more. Some sporting events, but even those I let get ahead first so I can dump out the commercials.

Chew 09-12-05 06:22 AM

NFL football is the only thing live I watch. I still record my college football game and start it about an hour into it to avoid commercials and halftime.

Sparrow 09-12-05 06:50 AM

Only news and a few live events, such as the Oscars - ReplayTV has been the most amazing (and convenient) piece of technology that has entered my life :D - I don't have to miss anything that I really want to watch due to being so busy with life

Phil L. 09-12-05 08:47 AM

If it's a specific show I'd dedicated to then I DVR it and watch it commercial free. But I still spend a certain amount of time just flipping channels if there is nothing on that I'm crazy about. So then I'm watching all that live. Except I skip away when a commercial comes on.

So if just sitting around killing some time, in a typical half hour I might check out the first 10 mins. of All in the Family, commercial comes on, I see a portion of a MAD TV sketch, commercial comes on, I maybe see a little of a Star Trek or some cable news, commercial comes on, I check out a segment of COPS. And there. My half hour is done.

Eddie W 09-12-05 11:12 AM

The only time I'll watch something live is if both my DirecTivo tuners are recording and there's a 3rd program I want to watch but couldnt record on network TV. In that case, I'll use the TV's HD tuner to watch live.

I usually watch my favorite programs the night they air, but with at least a 20 minute buffer. What's the point of live TV, except sports, if you have a PVR?

costanza187 09-13-05 07:03 PM

I pretty much would rather watch Tivo'd stuff better, I like to skip commercials and stuff

paradicelost 09-14-05 08:27 AM

Football is the only thing I watch live and hardly ever tivo, unless its the Steelers or Colts, Just because i like the fact since i got Sunday ticket I haven't missed a game of either of those teams in the last few years.
If there is a show i'm really looking forward to, i usually will catch it live but that is few and far between. I think in the past few months, Reno 911 was probably the only thing that i watched live as i was TIVOing it.

Red Dog 09-14-05 08:37 AM

The only live TV I watch is sports/news.

Adam Tyner 09-14-05 08:41 AM

My cable company only offers two local channels in HD, so I can only timeshift NBC and CBS programming...neither of which I really watch. The only live TV I really watch is when I have to use my antenna to get HD programming over-the-air. Or if I'm bored and just flipping around. Sports, sometimes, too.

BassDude 09-14-05 11:26 AM

I'm one of those guys who has the TV on all the time. But often I wouldn't call that "watching." So...if it is a show I actually care about it is on the DVR and I'll start it after a bit to avoid commercials. I also have a DVD burner as the HD-DVR fills up rather quickly.

At night I usually set the sleep timer and put on HBO Comedy as they have 'One Night Stand" or 'Curb Your Enthusiasm" replays on at that hour. Comedy helps me forget the day's crap and sends me to dreamland smiling. :)

So...not sure how ta answer. Maybe a couple shows a week...

Red Dog 09-14-05 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
The only live TV I watch is sports/news.

Actually, I forgot that I sometimes watch HBO shows (Rome, Deadwood, Sopranos, Entourage) live since there are no commercial breaks.

DodgingCars 09-14-05 12:10 PM

I said none, though on occasion I'll watch live tv (i.e. breaking news, etc). For the most part I watch nothing live. I'll let tivo record about 10-30 mins of a show so I can still skip commercials.