DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Shows you Watch out of OBLIGATION (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/437325-shows-you-watch-out-obligation.html)

Original Desmond 09-09-05 08:58 AM

Shows you Watch out of OBLIGATION

Similar to the shows you are going to dump this season thread but this is about shows you know in your heart you should dump, but you still watch religiously each week out of obligation.

For me Smallville. Haven't really enjoyed an episode for a long time but i feel obliged to watch it waiting for the time when Lex finally turns evil.

Simpsons i also feel i watch out of obligation

LorenzoL 09-09-05 09:05 AM

I'm an avid TV viewer however this year from September until May (essentially the TV season), I'm enrolled in an intensive college program so I don't have the time I used to have when I was working full time.
Even with a DVR, if a new show doesn't grab me after 3 episodes, I will move on, no obligation for me.

Groucho 09-09-05 09:06 AM

Reunion...now that I've seen the pilot I'm obligated to watch the whole damn thing. How did Carla turn from nice girl to goth socialite? I MUST KNOW!!!

Chew 09-09-05 09:18 AM

I think Alias is getting to this point. It's not the fun it used to be and now I just want to see how it plays out. It's end is not very far away now, I'm sure.

SMB-IL 09-09-05 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Reunion...How did Carla turn from nice girl to goth socialite? I MUST KNOW!!!

:lol:

and for me: Will & Grace -- SO HAPPY it's the last season!

Smidget 09-09-05 10:51 AM

Lost. There are some redeeming qualities but for the most part it irks me and I want to find more out, I just try to find 45 min or so to watch it on my DVR later on. I used to feel this way about 24 but I gave up on it near the end of the second season.

Jadzia 09-09-05 11:38 AM

I was so glad that Enterprise was canelled last season. I remembe telling my husband how I still felt obligated as a Trek fan to watch it, so whenever he would see me watching it, he's ask "How's work going?" It felt more like a job than anything.

I still watch Survivor despite having very little enjoyment of the last few seasons. I guess I could drop it, but maybe I am hoping I start caring again.

I also no longer love CSI as I once did, but will continue to watch.

Morf 09-09-05 11:50 AM

King of the Hill. Though every time I watch it, I am reminded by how good the show actually is, it is just one of those shows that will sit on my TiVo for weeks before I feel like watching.

Michael Corvin 09-09-05 12:07 PM

ER. I've been in the ER since the 2 hour premier. I know it is time to go, I just can't do it. The only way to alleviate this feeling is bringing Gallant back. He is/was the only redeeming character anymore. The others are so pointless and shallow it is incredible.

Timber 09-09-05 12:14 PM

Smallville: so few good episodes in a season but the good are generally good enough to keep me around. I soo want to give up on it all together but can't

superdeluxe 09-09-05 01:20 PM

Simpsons.

I watch it because thats what I have down for pretty much my entire life. You still get a few laughs here and there..but if I just started to watch it..I might not have made it this far.

RobCA 09-09-05 01:24 PM

Will & Grace :(

tommyp007 09-09-05 01:30 PM

Survivor.

Cancer Man 09-09-05 01:59 PM

CNN News and Seventh Heaven.-ohbfrank-

raven56706 09-09-05 01:59 PM

WWE Raw..... it sucks so bad now that i just cant help to continue watching

clckworang 09-09-05 03:09 PM

The Simpsons and Alias

cliffzig 09-09-05 03:30 PM

For me, without a doubt, Saturday Night Live. As much as it sucks these days it's pretty much always been there. I'll keep on watching thru the suck. *sigh*

Count Dooku 09-09-05 03:53 PM

The Simpsons (kinda) --it still offers laughs, but not like it used to.

The OC -- as a heterosexual male I feel obligated to watch any show that puts so many super-hot women on TV each week (and now they've added Jeri Ryan!)

rkndkn 09-09-05 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
I think Alias is getting to this point. It's not the fun it used to be and now I just want to see how it plays out. It's end is not very far away now, I'm sure.

I pretty much feel the same way.

MEJHarrison 09-09-05 05:36 PM

I'd have to go with ER. I keep wishing it would end, but I can't bring myself to stop watching it. I've been there since the beginning, but I've had enough. Yet not enough to just stop for some reason. After the long summer break, I'm usually a little excited, for a short time anyway, to see it return. But I don't even feel that this year.

GoldenJCJ 09-09-05 06:09 PM

I'll go with ER as well. I don't know why I keep watching, nothing real great anymore. Once Noah Wyle leaves, I think I'll have to dump it for good. It all started going down hill when Lucy was
Spoiler:
Killed
but it has gotten steadily worse since Anthony Edwards left.

Kal-El 09-09-05 06:35 PM

None. I watch what I watch because I like 'em. And that I find enjoyment watching them week-in, week out.

Original Desmond 09-09-05 07:30 PM

Yep count me in for WWE Raw and Smackdown too

Although i do still enjoy HBK, i mainly fast forward through most of it.

But you know what will happen if i stop watching ? I'll miss the episode when Brett Hart makes an appearance !

uhftv 09-10-05 02:14 AM

ER and Simpsons were the longest out-of obligation shows for me. I dumped them both in the summer, 3 years ago.

For shorter running shows, THE best time to dump is the gap between November sweeps and New year's; usually the whole month of December, shows are off the air or in reruns, so I'm forced into changing my viewing habits anyway.

story 09-10-05 02:30 AM

South Park. I mean, I like it, and I watch it when people tell me I should really catch a particular episode, but it's a show I don't go out of my way to watch anymore. And when I do, it's more to be "in" on what people are talking about when they scream "Timmay!"