DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Here's one for you, dolphinboy:
Thanks!

But need more!
Old 03-11-09, 11:08 PM
Suspended

Re: Is the Daily Show getting lame?

The Daily Show Vs. Jim Cramer stuff is comedy gold.
Old 03-11-09, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At least they are discussing something that may turn out to be quite serious. Who knows how much truth there is to this or if it's just conspiracy nut ramblings, but it's very interesting to read: http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/20...815/703/705113
Old 03-12-09, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is the Daily Show getting lame?
No.
Old 03-12-09, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ya, I CAN NOT wait for Cramer tonight.
Old 03-12-09, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the Daily Show still has great comedic value and is wonderful to have around during things like this CNBC mess.

That said, I think it has become more crass than in the past. It seems you can't watch a show anymore without hearing the F word at least 5 times and extremely strong sexually-oriented banner. This is often when Stewart is improvising. It's one thing when it strengthens a joke, but quite often it's just shock value to get a laugh and doesn't do anything but weaken the creativity of the show.

It's like hearing the F word once in a PG13 movie that you realize was forced in there for no logical reason other than to push the rating to PG13.
Old 03-12-09, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just watched the Cramer interview. Wow. That was uncomfortable.
Old 03-12-09, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Too big of a thread jump.
Old 03-13-09, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BRAVO to Jon Stewart for not letting up and completly embarassing so called news organizations

so sad that we have to rely on comedians for our "factual" news these days

by the way the opening of the show was .... well, hillarious

loved the line “Don’t you destroy enough dough on your own show?” when they showed Cramer hitting the pastry dough with a rolling pin on Martha Stewart's show from earlier in the day

and “How weird is our world that Jim Cramer is on TV baking pie and Martha Stewart is the one who went to jail for securities fraud?”
Old 03-13-09, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think it was wrong for Stewart to not play the entire interview in one episode, foregoing the usual clip monologue. It makes it seem as though it was just Jon berating Cramer as opposed to an interview.

CNBC deserves the dressing down and it sucks a bit that Cramer became the pinata for the faults of the entire network.
Old 03-13-09, 01:39 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

the interview is available in full on the web though
Old 03-13-09, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 03-13-09, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's hilarious to me to read this thread now because about a year later I stopped watching TDS.
Old 03-13-09, 09:08 AM

To answer the OPs question...no the Daily Show isn't getting lame. In fact, I think it's getting close to perfection. I actually like it more now that Bush isn't in office then when he was. Stewart has made all politicians fair game and showcases all of their stupidity and contradictions.

Going after CNBC is easy. If you actually believe what you hear on CNBC I have a bridge to sell you. CNBC received the exact same complaints during the internet bubble of the late 90s when they failed to ask a single internet company CEO how they planned to actually make money. Then the failed to predict the bust. I feel bad that Cramer took the beating because he's actually a good guy and knows his stuff. He just happens to be man enough to stand up and take his lumps...which is more than I can say for the rest of the crap on CNBC.

Last edited by pdutta2000; 03-13-09 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-13-09, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^Note that those are the edited versions. The unedited versions don't seem to embed correctly here--I think their code is wrong. But you can see them on ComedyCentral.com

Last edited by JuryDuty; 03-13-09 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-13-09, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My major complaint with the show is the correspondents. Not only are they not as good as the era of Carell, Colbert, and Corddry, we barely seem them anymore. When's the last time we saw John Oliver or Aasif Mandvi?
Old 03-13-09, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The show is a much watch becuase Stewart is one of the few who is calling out these Banksters.

The Cramer interview was Gold.
Old 03-13-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is it OK to just start a new thread instead of reviving this dinosaur?

(The TV forum is a new thread every week for every other show, so no need to restart a dead one here).
Old 03-13-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jon Stewart's interview of Jim Cramer (unedited version):

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/in...ited-interview

Old 03-13-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn, Cramer (along with his network) got fucking dismantled.

Sure, it was basically a hit-piece, but Cramer was asking for it. And it's hilarious that Stewart and his "comedy" show asked him tougher, more honest questions than any actual news show Cramer's ever been on.
Old 03-13-09, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Damn, Cramer (along with his network) got fucking dismantled.

Sure, it was basically a hit-piece, but Cramer was asking for it. And it's hilarious that Stewart and his "comedy" show asked him tougher, more honest questions than any actual news show Cramer's ever been on.
Agreed. The networks should be REQUIRED to watch the Daily Show to learn how to research and craft a solid piece of journalism. They should be embarassed that they are getting their [email protected]@ kicked by a comedy show.
Old 03-13-09, 02:43 PM

I think the effect the interview clearly had on Jim's emotions regarding his work is important for him to walk out a stronger, more responsible person in all of this mess, but that interview was intensely difficult to watch. I'm kind of surprised John swore at him and was so derisive like that. Did the man need it? Probably. In that way? I dunno...
Old 03-13-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, that was pretty fucking epic. I love that Cramer kept trying to pretend he wasn't complicit in this whole mess and that Stewart wasn't going to let him get off the hook that easy. The whole thing reminded me of Stewart's appearance on Crossfire. The most relevant and competent journalist on cable is a comedian. A sad state of affairs, indeed.
Old 03-13-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chew View Post
My major complaint with the show is the correspondents. Not only are they not as good as the era of Carell, Colbert, and Corddry, we barely seem them anymore. When's the last time we saw John Oliver or Aasif Mandvi?
John Oliver was there last Thursday. I know because I was there. The Billy Crudup episode.
Old 03-14-09, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The public "Jim Cramer" as seen on Mad Money didn't deserve that hotseat, but those 2006 clips of the real "Jim Cramer" boasting about all of those market manipulating shenanigans completely deserved that treatment (and worse). Jon Stewart summed it up well when he said that he wants the Jim Cramer on Mad Money to protect him from the Jim Cramer seen in those clips. (Where did those clips come from, BTW?) I just hope what's isn't spun by others as "Jim Cramer is the one bad apple" and really is seen as the widespread systemic problem on Wall Street that it really it and that CNBC does have an ethical responsibility as the main financial news channel to do more investigative reporting on these Wall Street shenanigans.

And Jon Stewart was firing on all cylinders in this interview. I felt like standing up and applauding after seeing it, because he captured how I feel about this whole thing with Wall Street as I've been learning more and more about CDO's, CDS's and all of the other derivatives and financial instruments that have made this mess into a complete financial catastrophe while the guys who did it pretty much all seem to be walking away as multimillionaires.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.