DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Comedy Central's Stella...I don't get it (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/435911-comedy-centrals-stella-i-dont-get.html)

Captain Harlock 08-28-05 07:58 PM

Comedy Central's Stella...I don't get it

Okay, I've been giving this show Stella chance after chance and I'm just not getting it. I'm hard pressed to find a laugh anywhere.

Is it me?

garmonbozia 08-28-05 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Harlock
Is it me?

No. I've watched a few episodes, and while at times it is amusing, it is seriously lacking in the funny department.

I was a huge fan of The State, so thought this show would have some potential... I just find very very little to laugh about in it.

dick_grayson 08-28-05 08:25 PM

I think it's great. The humor is really dry and there's a lot of free-associative non-sequitor jokes. I guess it's not for everyone, but I think it worked pretty well. My friends who have seen it are all about it too.

DJLinus 08-28-05 08:37 PM

I absolutely love it, but realize it's definitely not for everyone. Now that I think about it, a lot of the comedy that I find funny is like that.

david12 08-28-05 09:20 PM

Not funny?

"I'm so tired I can't keep my eyes open."
"I'm so tired I can't keep my peehole open."
"I know, my urethra shut at 4 o'clock this afternoon."

Chaza 08-28-05 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I think it's great. The humor is really dry and there's a lot of free-associative non-sequitor jokes. I guess it's not for everyone, but I think it worked pretty well. My friends who have seen it are all about it too.

Yeah, all my friends and I like the show too. But I'm biased since I've seen the live show several times and the shorts multiple times also.

If you don't like it don't watch it, don't ask what you're not getting, it's not for you I guess.

Jeraden 08-28-05 10:04 PM

After the first 2 episodes, I was ready to throw in the towel. But since then its really grown on me. Not sure if its gotten better or I've just gotten more accustomed to the format. But I really like it now.

Brain Stew 08-28-05 10:25 PM

It's very dry absurdist comedy.

Think of it as a modern Marx Brothers piece.

Jackskeleton 08-28-05 11:09 PM

Yup, this sort of comedy is not for everyone.

badger1997 08-29-05 01:39 AM

In other breaking news, a lot of people like music that I don't like and vice versa.

Humor is so interesting to me because the same thing can seriously bore one person while bring another person to tears laughing. That's just the way it is and I wish more people could accept it and stop worrying about whether they are "missing" something or just "don't get it."

A lot of people, and apparently by the ratings, a whole hell of a lot of people, love Will and Grace. I myself can't stand it. I love Scrubs (whenever I actually manage to catch it) but the friends I have tried to turn on to it have found it stupid and not funny. I just accept it and move on.

Count Dooku 08-29-05 02:30 AM

Me thinks it's high-larry-us.

skatefan20 08-29-05 02:38 AM

Count me in as one who LOVES IT!! I prefer STELLA than the show that precedes it.

j123vt_99 08-29-05 07:53 AM

i think i lasted 3 mins into the 1st episode... even the commericals are horrible.. it's just 3 guys repeating what each other guy said in a louder voice

Pointyskull 08-29-05 08:05 AM

The show cracks me up....... :thumbsup:

Tracer Bullet 08-29-05 08:43 AM

I watched up to the camping episode, but I never got more than a few chuckles out of it. I usually like this sort of comedy, but to me, it seems like they're trying to be funny, rather than just being funny.

Of course, I hated Tom Goes to the Mayor at first, then I saw the first episode a second time and loved it.

milo bloom 08-29-05 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
I watched up to the camping episode, but I never got more than a few chuckles out of it. I usually like this sort of comedy, but to me, it seems like they're trying to be funny, rather than just being funny.

Of course, I hated Tom Goes to the Mayor at first, then I saw the first episode a second time and loved it.

That's the only one I've managed to catch, and I got the impression it could have been a Three Stooges script. Very absurdist, and very just plain silly.

I should try to catch some more, but I think it could have something to it, and I felt the same way as Tom Goes to Mayor as Tracer does. I thought it was terrible at first, but now I love it.

rfduncan 08-30-05 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jeraden
After the first 2 episodes, I was ready to throw in the towel. But since then its really grown on me. Not sure if its gotten better or I've just gotten more accustomed to the format. But I really like it now.

Same here. I thought those episodes were tough to get through, but two weeks ago with the book they were writing ("Novel") and last week's "Vegetables" were hilarious! This show should be rounding out its season pretty soon. Is "Amusement Park" (Episode 10) going to be the last new one of the season?

MovieExchange 08-31-05 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
i think i lasted 3 mins into the 1st episode... even the commericals are horrible.. it's just 3 guys repeating what each other guy said in a louder voice

The commercials are what have kept me from watching the show.

skatefan20 08-31-05 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Same here. I thought those episodes were tough to get through, but two weeks ago with the book they were writing ("Novel") and last week's "Vegetables" were hilarious! This show should be rounding out its season pretty soon. Is "Amusement Park" (Episode 10) going to be the last new one of the season?

Another good show tonite!!

The show came with the promo for "The Baxter" once again, and the voiceover indicated that there would be another new ep next week.

Chaza 08-31-05 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by skatefan20
Another good show tonite!!

The show came with the promo for "The Baxter" once again, and the voiceover indicated that there would be another new ep next week.

No, the promo was old and was advertising the new episode that just aired.

SonOfAStu 11-07-05 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
...even the commericals are horrible.. it's just 3 guys repeating what each other guy said in a louder voice

You've obviously never played the "Penis Game".

Speaking of Stella...did "Amusement Park" really ever air? I must have totally missed it when it was on, and the strange thing is, it doesn't show up in ANY of the usual places online to download it from. I have no trouble finding the other 9 eps. :hscratch:

Jay G. 11-08-05 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
Speaking of Stella...did "Amusement Park" really ever air?

Yes, it aired, and wrapped up the series so far quite nicely.