DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   "CALL FOR HELP" back on G4... and Leo's in charge! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/434919-call-help-back-g4-leos-charge.html)

Goldberg74 08-20-05 06:58 PM

"CALL FOR HELP" back on G4... and Leo's in charge!

From ThisWeekInTech:

CFH Returns to USA in one week!
Submitted by Leo Laporte on 20 August, 2005 - 2:29pm.

Well it doesn't look like anyone else is going to announce it so I'll confirm what most of you have already guessed. If you check your Tivo or Yahoo! TV listings you'll notice that Call for Help is back on the schedule at G4.

G4 has purchased the show for air in the US. I will continue to fly to Toronto to produce it, and we're not changing a thing. In fact, as those of you who have been watching it know, it's really more like the Screen Savers of old than Call for Help used to be, especially now that Kevin Rose has agreed to appear on the show twice a week. We'll get Patrick up to Toronto, too, I promise.

Starting August 29 CFH will be on G4 weekdays at 11a Eastern/8a Pacific and weekends at 6 and 7a Eastern. If enough of you watch I'm sure we'll be able to move to a better spot in the schedule. G4 has also purchased the last four months of programs so there will be lots of great stuff from many of your TechTV favorites including Kevin, Alex Lindsay, Steve Gibson, Mr. Excel Bill Jelen, Dick DeBartolo, and of course my Canadian cohort, Amber, Andy, Mike, and Sean.

Thanks for your support over the past year. I know all the emails and calls G4 has received has a lot to do with our return. Please watch and tell your friends to watch, too. I think you'll like what you see!
There is a God in heaven!

Check your schedules!

Gizmo 08-20-05 07:21 PM

So these are NEW episodes, not the old ones, right?

Tracer Bullet 08-20-05 07:36 PM

Wow. G4 is incredibly backward. They buy TechTV, gut all its programming, turn TSS into some awful monstrocity, then decide to buy the rights to a show very much like the one they could have had all along.

I'll be watching.

Y2K Falcon 08-20-05 07:42 PM

Hmmm... I've gotten used to TWIT, which is usually right at "audio CD length", according to Leo.

What is the frequency (Kenneth) and length of this show? And darn commercials.. Drat. Though with tivo I guess it won't be that bad...

Also, though I like his voice, it may take me a while to get used to it coming from his face. He wasn't what I expected him to look like from listening to TWIT when I saw his website.

I'm assuming this week's TWIT will cover the shenanigans at the Virginia School District Mac laptop sale...

TheBigDave 08-20-05 07:45 PM

Sounds good. I know G4 will do their best to screw it up, but I have faith in Leo.

On a side note, what the hell happened to XPlay? It was a good show for game reviews. Now it's just a bunch of stupid skits.

theedge 08-20-05 08:07 PM

So is CFH on in Canada??? On an OTA station?! I get a lot of em, gonna have to check. Maybe I will finally watch G4 again, what a sad pathetic thing it has become!

By the bye, what was it before it was TechTV, I forget....

TheMadMonk 08-20-05 08:16 PM

I imagine G4 only bought the rights to air the shows, not actual ownership of the show. So, I don't expect there to be much change. But what about Kevin Rose? He clearly wanted out of his G4 contract, and got out, but now he will kind of be back working for that network. Odd.

Either way, I hope it is more like the old TSS, like the article says.

TheMadMonk 08-20-05 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by theedge

By the bye, what was it before it was TechTV, I forget....

ZDtv

Michael Corvin 08-20-05 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
ZDtv

damn that is old school. :)

This is good news. It would be funny to see if it can become their top rated show. That would be like a kick in the nuts to G4.

BJacks 08-20-05 08:36 PM

:thumbsup: Good news, looking forward to seeing this again on American TV.

nny 08-20-05 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
On a side note, what the hell happened to XPlay? It was a good show for game reviews. Now it's just a bunch of stupid skits.

They do those because of the gaming droughts that always happen during the summer and basically anytime besides the holiday flood. They do 2-3 new episodes a week. They need something to fill that time. I wish they would cover indie/shareware pc games. Besides that, though, I have no problem with the show. I like the skits, but it does get to be a bit much sometimes.

CRM114 08-20-05 10:36 PM

G4 cashing in on the success of TWiT. -rolleyes- 11am? I guess they're counting on the Tivo crowd since everyone who would watch it will be at work or school. I'll set my Tivo for this. :up:

Crizzar 08-20-05 11:23 PM

I guess I'm the only one that found Leo to be the most annoying man on the planet and did the dance of joy when he got yanked. I enjoyed the show's content as it did a pretty good job of educating and usually gave sound advice

Even with Leo, it's still good news.

nightwing82 08-20-05 11:41 PM

Awesome news. I'd like to see him bring back Kate Botello too for an episode of ZDTV reunion!

TWiT is awesome, I listen to it every week.

big whoppa 08-21-05 01:31 AM

I don't have satellite tv anymore but when I did, I'd always tune in to TSS and CFH for Leo. Great for him to return and with Patrick too. Great pair.

movieking 08-21-05 06:13 AM

I've actually seen all of the second iteration of CFH and love them. I am glad that G4 is not making any changes and it will still produced in Toronto.

Kevin Rose is going to be on two times a week. I wonder if it has anything to do with his rumoured romance with Amber?

Derrich 08-21-05 02:08 PM

No Cat Schwartz, no deal.

D

bub2000 08-21-05 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by theedge
So is CFH on in Canada??? On an OTA station?!

It's on G4TechTV Canada, which is on digital cable/satellite only...

Chew 08-22-05 06:07 AM

Sweet news. :D:up:

theedge 08-22-05 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Derrich
No Cat Schwartz, no deal.

D

No Kate, no deal! Now that is old school! :)

ZDTv, oh yeah... that's right...that was such a good network, sigh.

Morf 08-22-05 08:31 AM

Wow, sounds like I may be watching G4 again.

nevermind 08-22-05 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Morf
Wow, sounds like I may be watching G4 again.

Yup. Me too, at least for an hour a day. I had actually taken it off the "Channels I receive" on Directv, I was so pissed. Just set up a season pass for it last night.

I really didn't appreciate ZDTV and TechTV as much as I should have. I just had this silly idea it would be around forever, with technology moving at the pace it does. Boy was I wrong :sad:

dadaluholla 08-22-05 09:35 AM

I watch that ATTACK OF THE SHOW on G4 most every day. I think it is pretty entertaining.

nny 08-22-05 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I watch that ATTACK OF THE SHOW on G4 most every day. I think it is pretty entertaining.

I love it. I place it above any talk show on tv right now. Kevin and Brendan are far funnier than any talk show host is right now.

Morf 08-22-05 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by nevermind
I had actually taken it off the "Channels I receive" on Directv, I was so pissed.

I nearly got to that point. But I still TiVo'd X-Play so I could fast forward through them and see if there was anything interesting. 99% of those programs, however, and pure shit, so I essentially stopped watching the entire network.