DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Too Late with Adam Carolla (Comedy Central) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/433556-too-late-adam-carolla-comedy-central.html)

El Scorcho 08-09-05 11:51 AM

Too Late with Adam Carolla (Comedy Central)

Show premiere last night. This episode featured Adam sitting in a chair, taking some phone calls from idiots, and talking with Crystal Method about what pisses them off. Basically 30 minutes on pet peeves and Adam ranting.

I thought the show fell flat. After 5 minutes it had lost it's appeal. Hopefully other topics are more interesting. It's on nightly, around 10:30 I believe.

Anyone else watch?

Deftones 08-09-05 12:01 PM

Yeah, saw it last night too. I like Adam Carolla alot, but this format was dumb. The callers have got to go. Interviews w/ a bit of sketch/street comedy would be ideal.

Scott27 08-09-05 12:02 PM

I work nights, and forgot to record this last night. From what you wrote, looks like I didn't miss much, but I'll record it tonight to give it a chance.

Bill Needle 08-09-05 12:34 PM

It had the feeling of a first night show, a bit unpolished, some things that you could tell they thought would work but didn't, etc. I agree that some "man on the street" type thing or other prepared bits would help. But Adam just talking for 30 minutes a night isn't going to be enough, even though he is a very funny guy.

WhattheFFF 08-09-05 01:22 PM

I liked it but mostly because I love Adam's ranting. It did have an unpolished feel & I'm not sure how long it can last at 5 nights a week. I definetly keep watching though.

rskinfn 08-09-05 02:07 PM

I have yet to see an opening talk show get it all right on the first episode. I find Carolla funny and it takes at least a month for a daily talk show to hit its stride.

misterchimpy 08-09-05 03:01 PM

I saw it as well, it might get better, but the format needs a lot of work. It definitely needs more scripted material and the call-in aspect was very weak, you're not running a radio show Adam! At this point, I'd rather have Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn back...

wmansir 08-09-05 03:48 PM

So, did Adam leave Loveline?

story 08-09-05 03:51 PM

So I turned this off half-way through what I can only imagine was an attempt at a monologue. Terrible.

El Scorcho 08-09-05 04:38 PM

I think part of the problem is that Carolla just looks awkward in front of the camera. I don't think he's ever used hand gestures his entire life. :lol:

He's hilarious on loveline, mostly because the callers are such idiots they give him great material to run with. But on a TV show where he has to come up with his own stuff, it just falls flat.

I'll give other episodes a try, though.

Deftones 08-09-05 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by wmansir
So, did Adam leave Loveline?

Not yet, but he will soon. He's got 2 projects for Comedy Central, and he's taking over the slot when Howard Stern leaves, in San Diego, LA and San Francisco.

calhoun07 08-09-05 05:04 PM

Is this new show live? And isn't Loveline live as well? These both come on at the same time in my market, so I don't see how he could do both. And I would assume the new show is live since they are taking phone calls.

I watched about ten minutes last night and I wasn't too impressed. I figured this was filler until they can get the Steven Colbert show on.

Deftones 08-09-05 05:34 PM

My guess is this is filmed during the day. Loveline is recorded later in the day/early evening.

calhoun07 08-09-05 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
My guess is this is filmed during the day. Loveline is recorded later in the day/early evening.

Is it broadcast live in some markets then to encourage callers or are the calls staged? (A question for both shows, since both are pretaped, apparently)

Para Para 08-09-05 06:03 PM

So, who is going to take over his spot on Loveline? After the Man Show its really the only place I'd like to see him.

LasVegasMichael 08-09-05 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Para Para
So, who is going to take over his spot on Loveline? After the Man Show its really the only place I'd like to see him.

I's love to see them bring back Poorman! :D

El Scorcho 08-09-05 06:26 PM

I believe Loveline is aired live on the western part of the country. People in the central and eastern parts get the previous night's show aired to them.

If "Too Late" is aired live, then it's aired live for the east coast (7:30 pm) and tape delayed for the rest of the country according to time zone. This would give Adam a couple hours to get his ass into the studio for his 10:00 pm live Loveline show in LA.

Deftones 08-09-05 06:29 PM

We don't get Loveline live in AZ. It's tape delayed a day. I think only Cali and maybe the rest of the West Coast get the live feed.

El Scorcho 08-09-05 06:31 PM

Yup, it must only be CA/WA/OR that get it live then.

TheMadMonk 08-09-05 06:46 PM

They do need to get him out in public places more. His "Ask Mr. Hardware" bits on the Man Show were always good.

LasVegasMichael 08-09-05 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Yup, it must only be CA/WA/OR that get it live then.

I'm pretty sure we get it live here in Las Vegas as well, but I could be wrong.

fumanstan 08-09-05 09:20 PM

I've grown up listening to LoveLine live, since it airs here on KROQ. Too Late is taped live in the afternoon here in LA, around 3:30 PST or so.

Rypro 525 08-09-05 11:45 PM

since 99.1 hfs disbanded in dc, there is no loveline for people in dc or md.

Thrush 08-10-05 12:06 AM

He admitted on the radio that he isn't putting much effort into "Too Late "and he hopes it "goes away" since he has so much on his plate now with the TLC show, Loveline and the morning radio show.

Deftones 08-10-05 09:51 AM

Last night was a bit better. The caller segment, still sucks. At least he had a bit of canned comedy in there with the "Adam explains xxxx to 1780's guy". :lol: