Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Extras -- created by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Extras -- created by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant

Old 12-15-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it's half as good at The Office Christmas Special I'll be very happy!
Old 12-15-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
F I wish I had HBO
Ditto. I dropped it after Curb ended but am thinking of adding it just for this and then cancelling. Will DTV let me do that on a pro-rated basis? VERY tempting...
Old 12-16-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to have a tough time waiting to watch this. Won't be able to until tomorrow. I'm sure it's going to a complete gutbuster!
Old 12-16-07, 04:53 PM
Banned

No HBO here So I will have to download it. Can't wait!
Old 12-17-07, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So what'd everyone think?

I found it downright depressing till the last few minutes. Very funny at times, but man was it hard to watch Andy and Maggie's lives spin out of control... and at times you could only shake your head at Andy's arrogance. Reminded me of his portrayal of David Brent in a few ways. His ending monologue on the set of Big Brother had me near tears though. Very well performed. Didn't give me that complete bookend feeling that The Office Christmas Special had, which I find one of the best endings to any television show, up there with Six Feet Under. This was a good ending though, good way to send it off.

Can't wait to see what Gervais and Merchant are up to next.
Old 12-17-07, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
So what'd everyone think?

I found it downright depressing till the last few minutes. Very funny at times, but man was it hard to watch Andy and Maggie's lives spin out of control... and at times you could only shake your head at Andy's arrogance. Reminded me of his portrayal of David Brent in a few ways. His ending monologue on the set of Big Brother had me near tears though. Very well performed. Didn't give me that complete bookend feeling that The Office Christmas Special had, which I find one of the best endings to any television show, up there with Six Feet Under. This was a good ending though, good way to send it off.

Can't wait to see what Gervais and Merchant are up to next.
I felt the same way while watching it and the tears did flow during his monologue (followed by a loud laugh when the girl who wanted to leave with him ran off to get in a bikini).

The middle was really depressing and I felt so bad for Maggie. And worse that Andy couldn't see it. For a moment, I had no idea where they were heading as the end neared. It was a touching end to a very funny series.

And there was a Doctor Who gag! Woo hoo!!
Old 12-17-07, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

George Michael has a damn good sense of humor about himself. And that Clive Owen scene...wow.

"Fuck off...I'm Clive Owen! That's mental!"

Great ending.
Old 12-17-07, 10:33 AM

I thought, for the most part, it was terrible with some shining moments throughout.

My chief complaint was the ending. While well acted and staged, it made the exact same point and hit the exact same notes as the last episode of Series 2. In other words, there was nothing new brought to the table when all was said and done -- Gervais and Merchant should have left well-enough alone.
Old 12-17-07, 10:44 AM
Banned

I thought the depressing aspect far outweighed the funny in this. The first 20 minutes were funny and then there were some funny moments sprinkled in the rest of the show but overall I was a little bit disappointed at least in terms of laughs. Also i thought this was supposed to be Christmas-y? This was not the case and the ads for it are very misleading.

No where near the greatness that is the Office series finale special but I guess it wasnt horrible.
Old 12-17-07, 12:17 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
My chief complaint was the ending. While well acted and staged, it made the exact same point and hit the exact same notes as the last episode of Series 2.
That was probably my biggest problem; this kinda felt like a retread of the final episode of the series 2 stretched to 90 minutes. It seemed like they couldn't figure out where to go after the "meeting with DeNiro, but still respecting Maggie's friendship" ending, so they just put Andy's character right back where he was before that, and had him have the same revelations a 2nd time.

Still, I did enjoy a lot of individual elements, though.
Old 12-17-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Loved the Kramer doll.
Old 12-18-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Originally Posted by Groucho
I thought, for the most part, it was terrible with some shining moments throughout.
Agreed. It forgot to bring the funny! It was sour and depressing and actually boring. Too bad.
Old 12-18-07, 09:44 AM

Another thing that bugged me was the localization of some of the references. I know they film different versions of some scenes for the benefit of the HBO audience, but some really stood out since they were things that nobody in England would actually be talking about (e.g. Katie Curic and American Idol).
Old 12-18-07, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't mind the localisation, since it means a (slightly) different version to watch when the UK version airs.

Overall, I thought it was a good finale. No, it didn't quite reach the level of The Office finale, but neither has anything else I've seen. The aforementioned 6FU was close, as was Newhart, but other than that...

It was funny to see Dean Gaffney, since most U.S. viewers aren't going to recognize him from his Eastenders role as Robbie Jackson.
Old 12-18-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't really enjoy it, since Andy was a complete prick for 99% of the show. It would have been nice for some closure between him and his first agent.
Old 12-19-07, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was pretty long, pretty despressing and nowhere near as good as The Office finale, but I still liked it well enough if only for the final few minutes.
Old 12-19-07, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved the various cameos, especially Gordon Ramsey.
Old 12-19-07, 11:05 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was perfect. Loved the tone, loved the digs at celebrity, loved the George Michael appearance.

They appeared to have edited it differently than the trailer though.

It was fun seeing Karl doing his extra work outside the Ivy, having watched the podcast about him being an extra.

Loved the Carphone warehouse stuff. Really loved all the stuff in the Celeb BB Show, and the ending for me was great, he realised what he was doing, and who was important to him.
Old 12-19-07, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
It was fun seeing Karl doing his extra work outside the Ivy, having watched the podcast about him being an extra.
Although he wasn't really an extra -- he had a couple lines.
Old 12-19-07, 11:24 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Correct Sir!
Old 12-19-07, 11:36 AM
Banned

I haven't been able to watch any of the new season, but I'm so tempted to!
Old 12-20-07, 01:49 AM

not too sure but i could've sworn he passed on being a guest on the american version of the office when he was talking to the new agent.
Old 12-20-07, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by tavarua88
not too sure but i could've sworn he passed on being a guest on the american version of the office when he was talking to the new agent.
I don't think so. The joke was that the offers the new agent gave him were exactly the same as those given to him by the old agent (Doctor Who, Hotel Babylon, and Celebrity Big Brother).
Old 12-20-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that when Andy is asking his agent to find him some cool US television, the agent says that there is cool TV over there, like The Office.
Old 12-20-07, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I also found it a tad depressing but was overall great. It did trade in some laughs to get the message accross

Interesting it aired in the US before the UK. I will definitely watch the UK version too to see any differences

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.