DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Six Feet Under "Singing for Our Lives" 07/24/05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/431713-six-feet-under-singing-our-lives-07-24-05-a.html)

SMB-IL 07-24-05 11:28 PM

Six Feet Under "Singing for Our Lives" 07/24/05

http://www.hbo.com/sixfeetunder/img/...red_family.jpg

Singing for Our Lives
Spoiler:
A young Latina's funeral raises questions about the culture -- and future -- of Fisher and Diaz. Meanwhile, David and Keith are upset when they're not in the driver's seat; Claire takes her coworker Ted to an art school show, where not much has changed; Brenda gets vital information from her doctor -- and from Jackie; Nate seeks peace through Maggie's faith; Vanessa heads for a night out, leaving Rico to his fantasies; and Ruth goes out for some pampering and gets more than she paid for.

Discuss....

occupant 07-24-05 11:43 PM

Well, kudos to Maggie for being darn near the only woman in the extended Fisher family ever to have sex without a bra on!!! It was good to see Claire and Ruth kind of being their old selves again and not being completely annoying.

I wonder if they'll be able to use Nate's "incident", whatever it turns out to be, to cover up for their missing church, or if they're definitely busted.

JBurns24 07-24-05 11:58 PM

Does anyone else think that maybe

Spoiler:
Nate is dead?

GeoffK 07-25-05 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by JBurns24

Spoiler:
Nate is dead?

YES but it's SFU so you never know and they have a bad habbit of messing with expectations

Michael Ballack 07-25-05 12:26 AM

I've had some time to think things over. The more I think about it, the more I'll be pissed if
Spoiler:
Nate isn't dead.
I'm already t ed off at the writers enough for too many fantasy scenes to go with the David being car jacked episode.

JTH182 07-25-05 05:43 AM

so who has the hi-def screencaps? lol

Michael T Hudson 07-25-05 07:43 AM

Nate and Brendas back and forth reminded me a little of the final of Season 4 of the Sopranos.

SMB-IL 07-25-05 08:46 AM

[RANT]Is it just me or has almost every character become so annoyingly unlikeable this season that I can't WAIT for this show to end? I'm merely watching now to see how it ends -- other than that, I couldn't care less about these people.

For example, I used to really like RICO's character and then suddenly he's cheating on his wife and acting like a dick -- a dickless dick, btw.... NATE and BRENDA should have never gotten married and certainly should never have gotten pregnant. They're both SO disfunctional they're almost a parallel of Brenda and her brother! Even MAGGIE (who I had high hopes for; Quaker, you know)
Spoiler:
had her toes pointed to the ceiling at the first opportunity with Nate! Yeah, I know, "but, she showed tittie, dude", doesn't excuse it!
Up until this episode, RUTH was even annoying me. For God's sake, when the only character to really care about is DAVID, something is really wrong!

Maybe the writers are making everyone annoying and unlikeable so it's easier to say good-bye? It's working for me! :lol: [/RANT]

Second Guest 07-25-05 10:23 AM

Spoiler:
Ever since the beginning of season three, I keep half-expecting them to tell us that Nate really did die during his brain surgery, or at least that there would eventually be a recurrence of his condition. It wouldn't surprise me if he's dead, and at this point I'm starting not to care.

Favorite moment last night: Jackie telling Brenda to "shut the f*** up!" (She said it just moments after I'd shouted those exact words at the TV, so it was doubly satisfying.)

I'd like to see Claire have at least a semi-happy ending since she's been trying so hard to grow up lately, but as for the rest of them, I really don't care much at all any more.

conscience 07-25-05 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
Nate and Brendas back and forth reminded me a little of the final of Season 4 of the Sopranos.

You should check out their argument in Season 2's <b>I'll Take You</b> - IMO, it blows away Tony and Carmella's fights in <b>Whitecaps</b>.

-------------
I saw the Maggie thing coming at the end, but I did not see what happened after that - really surprising.

Great episode.

Sad to see Nate will probably never *really* be happy
Spoiler:
if he is actually alive in the next one to four episodes
. Glad to see the others are, though (for this episode at least).

RockStrongo 07-25-05 03:19 PM

Ive enjoyed this season so far...Im more interested in it than the previous 2 seasons.

Smidget 07-25-05 06:04 PM

The whole plastic knives/forks thing had me laughing sooo hard lol

HistoryProf 07-25-05 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Second Guest
Favorite moment last night: Jackie telling Brenda to "shut the f*** up!" (She said it just moments after I'd shouted those exact words at the TV, so it was doubly satisfying.)

:up: I laughed my ass off at that as I was thinking the same exact thing at that moment. Claire's storyline has proven the most entertaining, and i'm sick of Rico/Vanessa and Nate/Brenda. It's getting painful to watch.....that episode felt like it was 2 hours long.

indianajdp 07-25-05 07:16 PM

Spoiler:
Nate is dead?

Not exactly. I think:
Spoiler:
He may have hit his head so hard when he fell that he might be paralyzed...or that he had a stroke and was momenarily paralyzed. I just don't think he's dead at this point...but with this show you just never know.

Coral 07-25-05 08:53 PM

Enjoyed the episode, but I have problems with the amount of sex that goes on. It seems like everyone hooks up with everyone, and it takes away from any realism.

As for Nate:

Spoiler:
I'm not sure his character will die, but if he does I really can't see him dying so soon before the series ends. That would either mean the show hits a powerful note too soon and ends with a whimper, or another major character dies in the final episode - which would feel too forced.

As it stands it seems too much of a coincidence that Nate would collapse right after cheating on his wife.

With regards to the final episode:

Spoiler:
As I've stated in other SFU threads, I think that Ruth will die in the final episode to bookmark the Father/Mother death thing - but for some reason I had a sneaking suspision that Claire may be the 2nd most probable person to die (not neccessarily because of the Billy factor). When I saw Claire crawl through the back of the hurse to get out, I couldn't help but think that was a hint (but I'm probably over-analyzing)

Geofferson 07-25-05 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Ive enjoyed this season so far...Im more interested in it than the previous 2 seasons.

Agreed. This week's episode was no different. It is awfully pretentious (as stated on Family Guy), but a great final season thus far! :up:

nickdawgy 07-26-05 02:11 AM

Spoiler:
Nate is dead?

Spoiler:
According to next weeks preview, he "brings the family together" so that could mean he's dead, or in a coma (my guess) or something like that.

Roto 07-26-05 02:11 AM

spoiler tags for an episode that's already aired, almost as annoying as Brenda and Vanessa :rolleyes: Personally I stay out of the threads til I watch the show. Cover your eyes, I might let something slip! :p

I don't think Nate's dead yet. How many episodes are left? Somebody's gotta die though. I'd give the show a little more credit for doing it a little early. I thought this was the best episode in a long time. The funniest anyway. David leaving Ruth with those kids, the Russell and Jake story, run for your life Hiram!, Brenda getting told to shut up, Keith disarming the brat, Brenda going to Quaker church, Rico fantasizing about the dead chick was kinda creepy, but her speech was great, and of course "My arm's numb. My narm sumb. Sy marms... *thud*" Lots of highlights in this one. This episode should be reenaacted by bunnies!

grundle 07-26-05 09:57 AM

Spoiler:
Nate said his arm was numb. That means he had a heart attack. This is actually quite common among men while cheating on their wives.

mphtrilogy 07-26-05 10:14 AM

Maybe now this is when Nate wakes up from his dream....

Roto 07-26-05 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by grundle
*spoiler tags removed* Nate said his arm was numb. That means he had a heart attack. This is actually quite common among men while cheating on their wives.

First of all, I think it was the wrong arm, and it would make a lot more sense if it had something to do with the medical problems he's had in the past. I don't think people drop like that from a heart attack. I'm pretty sure he had a stroke.

Ben732 07-26-05 01:51 PM

When is the last episode due to air?

SMB-IL 07-26-05 02:12 PM

August 21st

jpcamb 07-26-05 04:12 PM

a solid episode. On a side not;even Nate is dead he can still be on the show for the few remaining episodes and hopefull the father will make an apperance with him if thats the case ala the last time he 'died'.

rfduncan 07-26-05 05:28 PM

Well that final scene may also explain why Nate has been such a freak lately. Did the brain complication he had before have wierd effects on his emotions/behaviour? (He was suffering from arteriovenous malformation (AVM), a potentially life-threatening brain disorder.) I mean everything he's been doing during this season has been a little off-kilter for the normal easy-going nature Nate's had in the past. Dunno. Just a thought.

Looks like Rico and Vanessa are going to be trying more diligently to put things back together aside from just getting Rico to move back in. It'll be nice to see that wrap up well.

That whole Russell thing was distrubing (the car accident?). Usually I hate that character, but he was very interesting in this episode. However, Claire's discussion with Javier seemed to encourage her that she might just be in the midst of a creative drought. I still maintain that this job's horrors are going to reignite her creativity while the rest of her art school friends basically stay strung/drugged out and crunchy for their art without having much life experience to interpret into decent art.