Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stargate SG1 & Atlantis season premiere

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stargate SG1 & Atlantis season premiere

Thought I'd start a combined thread for both.

SG1 -- was ok but kinda boring. It's a character building episode.

SGA -- Way cool episode but will
Spoiler:
Ford be the new bad guy?
Old 07-16-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I haven't seen too many SG1 episodes so I'm not a fair judge but it was OK. Gotta love the two Blues Brothers references in a five-minute span. I'm having major Farscape flashbacks with Browder's character which is both good and bad.

Loved Atlantis but not quite loving what's going on with Ford.
Old 07-16-05, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I loved both episodes. Perhaps it is partially a result of me anxiously awaiting the new seasons...but I really like the possibilities for SG-1 and the pace of Atlantis.
Old 07-16-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Let's just go ahead and say it - we need to see more of Vala wearing that outfit regardless of how ridiculous it may look.
Old 07-16-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
so, are duchovny, anderson and the guys that played the lone gun men doing anything now? if not I recommend them for recurring guest roles on SGA
Old 07-16-05, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by strife
SGA -- Way cool episode but will
Spoiler:
Ford be the new bad guy?
Spoiler:
As far as the SG-spoiler community knows, he won't be the bad guy, but he will be returning, as this super-human-wraith thing for at least the mid-season two-parter. I'm not sure if they'll take this to the season finale, or just mid-season.

Avalon I was good, and Avalon II is looking like it's going to be good, also.

I fear
Spoiler:
Ronon Dex, the "Runner",
for SGA...
Old 07-17-05, 09:15 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

For me, the nicest addition on Atlantis was the "pissed off" Asgard Hermes on the Daedelus - loved it when he was muttering under his breath in his own language
Old 07-17-05, 09:25 AM
Suspended

The thing I don't like about the asgards in both shows is they just look way too "puppety" for me. They have some great effects on both shows, then they throw these 80's movie puppets in there
Old 07-17-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by greydt
For me, the nicest addition on Atlantis was the "pissed off" Asgard Hermes on the Daedelus - loved it when he was muttering under his breath in his own language
I'm wondering just how pissed he really was. At first the engineer lady is saying "oh he's not going to like this" yet he does the modification before she even gets done with her whining and doesn't even have to eb talked into it.
I get the feeling she was the one that didn't like doing it and was blaming it on him, and that his muttering was bitching about her being stupid
if Thor had been there he would have been the one suggesting that they beam the nukes directly on board
Old 07-17-05, 03:30 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by mikehunt
I'm wondering just how pissed he really was. At first the engineer lady is saying "oh he's not going to like this" yet he does the modification before she even gets done with her whining and doesn't even have to eb talked into it.
I get the feeling she was the one that didn't like doing it and was blaming it on him, and that his muttering was bitching about her being stupid
if Thor had been there he would have been the one suggesting that they beam the nukes directly on board

That's why I put "pissed off" in quotes - he was more of "come on, let's do it already" while she was babbling on, and how she took offense when he turned away from her.

Still, I enjoy the different take on the human/Asgard interaction (and if anything, Hermes seems kinda annoyed by her - which is still different from the usual Asgard personality), and I wonder if she and Hermes will be some kind of running gag during the series.

However, Asgard can speak english and Hermes' lack of pretty much any talking could point that he has a dour "why am I here with these stupid humans" outlook
(or it could be as simple as them not finding a suitable voice for Hermes just yet)
Old 07-18-05, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SG1 was too much build-up and I don't know about the direction it's taking. Atlantis was better, but I have to wonder how long the deception of the city being destroyed will last? The Wrath are bound to find out at some point.
Old 07-18-05, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
SG1 was too much build-up and I don't know about the direction it's taking. Atlantis was better, but I have to wonder how long the deception of the city being destroyed will last? The Wrath are bound to find out at some point.
Well, of course it was build-up, they're essentially recreating the show with two new leading actors. That said, while I need to see more of Beau Bridges before deciding if I like him in the role, Ben Browder nailed his character in the first hour. I've got absolutely no doubts now that the show can survive with him as team leader. His acting combined with the way his character was introduced, have already formed some good chemistry between him and the remaining SG-1 members.

As far as Atlantis, yeah, I agree, at some point the Wraith are bound to figure out that Atlantis wasn't destroyed. I'd like to see them address how the Atlantis team is going to prepare for that eventuality.
Old 07-18-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I thought Claudia Black's character was just riotously funny; I was laughing every time she spoke. Let's make babies!!

Browder, on the other hand, loses some of his charm playing such a straight-arrow. I'm sure he'll get ample opportunity to show some better range in further episodes, but so far Cameron Mitchell is no John Crichton...

Last edited by adamblast; 07-18-05 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-18-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not a big fan of either show but I couldnt resist seeing Ben and Claudia on SG1. Love how she comes out of the Stargate and brushes her hand over Ben(Mitchell) and says, You, I don't know. Kinda fun for Farscape fans.
Can anyone tell me more about her character from last season and how she fits in?
Old 07-18-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by adamblast
I thought Claudia Black's character was just riotously funny; I was laughing every time she spoke. Let's make babies!!
I agree. That whole (don't remember the exact line) part when she said: "an interesting, if somewhat limited, gene pool" with Mitchell and Jackson staring at each other was
Old 07-18-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Can anyone tell me more about her character from last season and how she fits in?
She appeared in just one episode, called Prometheus Unbound, and it was a very fun one... She's basically a thief and a smuggler/trader... who managed to steal the Prometheus during her first ep... You can find out more than you ever wanted to know about the ep at Gateworld... Here's the episode review page... http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s8/reviews/812.shtml

Last edited by adamblast; 07-18-05 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-18-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew
I agree. That whole (don't remember the exact line) part when she said: "an interesting, if somewhat limited, gene pool" with Mitchell and Jackson staring at each other was
I hadn't really noticed that Browder and Shanks look so similar before.

Here's a pic from last season's ep which, at first glance, could be either one of them...

http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s8/graphics/812_06.shtml

Last edited by adamblast; 07-19-05 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-18-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Is the Vala character really pregnant or was that just a lie?

It'd be neat if she did become a regular member of SG1, but I have no idea how she could be accepted as a member of the crew.
Old 07-18-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I took that line as her just pulling Daniel's chain. She knew how annoyed he was to see her, so she said there was no tablet and then made up the story about the pregnancy. The wink sealed it for me (well, that and the fact that the tablet was revelaed immediately following the exchange).
Old 07-19-05, 02:15 PM

I've never watched SG1 but loved Farscape so I checked this out and got a kick outta seeing two of my favorites again. The show was pretty good and now that Crichton is on it I might watch it regularly.
Old 07-19-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt
so, are duchovny, anderson and the guys that played the lone gun men doing anything now? if not I recommend them for recurring guest roles on SGA
Dunno if this means anything, but I ran into Dean Haglund (from TLG) at a Sci Fi Channel party a few days ago. He was there mingling with the Stargate casts, so maybe he'll be taking jumps through the portal soon.
Old 07-22-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mlemmond
I've never watched SG1 but loved Farscape so I checked this out and got a kick outta seeing two of my favorites again. The show was pretty good and now that Crichton is on it I might watch it regularly.
I'm in the same boat. I considered (for about a minute ) trying to watch the previous seasons, but then I decided I just didn't care enough to invest that kind of time. I will, however, keep watching this new version of the show, as I just can't resist Ben Browder.
Old 07-22-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From what I have read Claudia is just a temporary until Amanda Tapping comes back from maturnity leave.
Old 07-22-05, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by strife
From what I have read Claudia is just a temporary until Amanda Tapping comes back from maturnity leave.
To bad if both Ben and Claudia were were going to be in episode I would definately keep watching.
Old 07-22-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mlemmond
To bad if both Ben and Claudia were were going to be in episode I would definately keep watching.
She was booked for 6 eps, so there are still 5 to go...