Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

30 Days-7/6/05 "Straight Man in a Gay World"

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-05, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30 Days-7/6/05 "Straight Man in a Gay World"

Not as strong as last week's Islam episode(which was really riveting in a lot of ways) but still pretty good. I really like the fact that Spurlock does not patronize his audience or mock the participants, like a lot of other so-called documentaries. Yes he still has a viewpoint, and this episode wasn't perhaps as topically fresh as some of the prior ones, but it was interesting, I even learned a few things(e.g. why San Francisco historically has had a significant gay population). The grandstanding was kept to a minimum. Hopefully, this series won't be too intelligent to survive...
Old 07-06-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought that this was a very good episode. Of course, we all get to see again what a strange (and very misguided guy) that Kansas "Reverend" is. I wonder, however, how KU enjoyed his wearing a Jayhawk shirt while condemning to hell an entire group of people.
Old 07-07-05, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't watched it yet (recorded it), just thought I'd suggest mentioning the topic of the show in the thread title. Especially for a cable show that no doubt will be rerun plenty of times.

I finally caught the show last week. I liked it better than Supersize Me, but I suspect the Muslim episode will end up clearly being one of the best.

Last edited by Roto; 07-07-05 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-07-05, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I like the way he does not make fun of people like another show on Showtime. It was a good episode.
Old 07-07-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
And again, we have another "practicing Christian" who is completely ignorant on the Bible and understands little to no theology.

"Conservative Christian" is an oxymoron folks!
Old 07-07-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
And again, we have another "practicing Christian" who is completely ignorant on the Bible and understands little to no theology.

"Conservative Christian" is an oxymoron folks!

What was he or the last person ignorant about?
Old 07-07-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
The last guy was confused on the duality of Christ, among other things. And this guy, on the way he'd pick and choose passages, out of context, and read his own meaning into things just to back himself up.

Though they're not nearly as bad as that one "pastor" that Spurlock interviewed with the "God hates ****" signs. Now, I'm not a Bible scholar, but I'm pretty sure that's wrong.
Old 07-07-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
What was he or the last person ignorant about?
Not so much ignorant as choosy. He believes homosexuality is a sin and points to a passage in Leviticus. Yet, I'm willing to bet he doesn't stone disobedient children, rape slaves, or favor turning the blind and disfigured away from church. I mean, if you believe the bible should be read and obeyed literally, as he did...

Still, it was an okay episode. Although the gee-whiz gosh & golly narration grates after a few minutes.
Old 07-07-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
I like the way he does not make fun of people like another show on Showtime. It was a good episode.
Yeah, the lack of humor really adds to the show
Old 07-07-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Alyoshka
I thought that this was a very good episode. Of course, we all get to see again what a strange (and very misguided guy) that Kansas "Reverend" is. I wonder, however, how KU enjoyed his wearing a Jayhawk shirt while condemning to hell an entire group of people.

He apparently didn't get the memo that god is a Bucknell fan.
Old 07-08-05, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting how the love of a father was the turning point for this guy. None of the other talks he had seemed to make him budge from this core belief. I just wonder how or if he'll be able to convince his family to do the same?
Old 07-09-05, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, did anyone else find Ryan's friend who just had to visit from Michigan a little more than simply curious about the gay world? He was pinging my gaydar bigtime.

Just the fact that he had to come visit his friend in San Francisco (who was only gone 30 Days), the overly-plucked eyebrows, and he was very eager to take off his shirt in the gay club. And he was so interested asking at dinner how people came out.

To me, he seemed like a gay guy who was raised in a small town but suspects he's gay but just doesn't feel comfortable with it yet. I think he viewed his friend's SF trip as an excuse to do a little self-exploration.

I thought this was a good episode and it was also interesting to learn how SF became a gay mecca. I got a good laugh at Spurlock's mustache comment in the beginning.

I think the guy they chose to do this was a good choice. He was definitely opinionated in his stereotypical beliefs but he still came across as a decent guy and was somewhat likeable. I had to laugh in the beginning how he showed off his Jesus poster followed by his guns. It is just so funny to see Jesus and guns juxtaposed.
Old 07-09-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Jadzia - I thought the same thing about the friend from the get-go. When Ryan said that he didn't have any gay friends, I was thinking "not yet...".

I watched the first four eps last night at my parent's house. This is a great show (and I have yet to see Super Size Me). My dad watched a couple of them w/ me, the anti-aging and the muslim ep, and he really likes it, too. But the stubborn bastard wouldn't watch this ep w/ me and it really pissed me off.
Old 07-09-05, 02:45 PM
Banned

Do they repeat the eps ever? I really wanted to catch this one.
Old 07-09-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Do they repeat the eps ever? I really wanted to catch this one.
Sunday 11pm
Old 07-09-05, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since there are only 6 episodes, I assume they will repeat them all again sometime after next week's final episode.
Old 07-10-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Okay, did anyone else find Ryan's friend who just had to visit from Michigan a little more than simply curious about the gay world? He was pinging my gaydar bigtime.
I got the oppostie actually. I felt he came (or was brought in) to mock the gay community. He seemed like a manly guy, metro if you will, who was curious but poked fun at the culture. I guess I was raised to not judge people and I just got the feeling he did the whole bar thing to poke fun.
Old 07-10-05, 11:02 PM
Banned

Damn, that boy needed a slap in the face. And I concur about the friend. He was DEFINITELY curious. I don't know straight guys who so easily throw their shirt off in a gay bar even AFTER a few drinks. He would have to be VERY comfortable with both his sexuality and homosexuality and I'm going to make an assumption that he's not based off of who his friend is.
All in all very interesting...especially the part about how he finally changed after speaking to straight people about it. Only after interacting with and hearing the reactions of straight people did he really open up his mind. What a sheltered brat.
Old 07-11-05, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well maybe my assumptions about the friend were wrong. I'll definitely take digitalfreaknyc's opinion on this matter. Although I wouldn't call him a brat. Sure he lived a sheltered life but it is what it is. You can't help where you're from. I grew up in a very small town and have lived in the DC and VA Beach area so I feel I've experience the big city life to an extent. I can definitely see how people view others when they "don't get out much."
Old 07-12-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
The last guy was confused on the duality of Christ
I don't remember that unless you mean how he didn't rebut what the Muslim guy was claiming?

among other things. And this guy, on the way he'd pick and choose passages, out of context, and read his own meaning into things just to back himself up.
Can you give an example? I too thought that he wasn't strong with his Biblical knowledge, but I didn't really catch him doing this -- at least nothing too bad. If anything the pastor from the Gay church was far worst in her Biblical knowledge.

Though they're not nearly as bad as that one "pastor" that Spurlock interviewed with the "God hates ****" signs. Now, I'm not a Bible scholar, but I'm pretty sure that's wrong.
. Yeah... I think so.
Old 07-12-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Not so much ignorant as choosy. He believes homosexuality is a sin and points to a passage in Leviticus. Yet, I'm willing to bet he doesn't stone disobedient children, rape slaves, or favor turning the blind and disfigured away from church. I mean, if you believe the bible should be read and obeyed literally, as he did...
Except that Christians aren't asked to stone children, rape slaves, etc.
Old 07-12-05, 06:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
Except that Christians aren't asked to stone children, rape slaves, etc.
you need to brush up on your bible.
Old 07-12-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
you need to brush up on your bible.
Yes, I do. But in this case I'm right.
Old 07-12-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll give you a hint:

Romans, chapters 7-8 are a good start.
Old 07-12-05, 10:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
I'll give you a hint:

Romans, chapters 7-8 are a good start.
sorry. it's a cute story and all but I got rid of it years ago when I started thinking for myself and stopped being brainwashed.

I suggest you stop where you are btw. This is about the show and not your beliefs. Perhaps you could have benefitted from a viewing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.