Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Big Brother 6: "Summer of Secrets" (Very minor spoilers)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-28-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

From the news:

Everyone has a secret. Big Brother has many this season and he ain't giving them up without a fight. Producer Arnold Shapiro revealed the season-long theme this season on Big Brother will be 'The Summer of Secrets'.

"This season we have what we are calling 'The Summer of Secrets' meaning that because it is a brand new house there will be multiple secrets uncovered throughout the summer that the HouseGuests will find," Shapiro told Jam! Showbiz. "We were able to do that because we have a brand new setting."

The "setting" Shapiro is referring to is the new two-storey Big Brother house which was recently built on the CBS Studio lot in California. The old house was torn down to make way for a state of the art facility that will house CBS' two L.A. television stations. The new Big Brother house will contain 46 cameras capturing every move of the HouseGuests as opposed to last year's 42. There are also 72 microphones instead of 62.

Art director Scott Storey designed the new house from scratch. Shapiro and co-producer Alison Grodner were a crucial part of the design process working with Storey to create a house that will be unlike anything Big Brother fans have seen before. A few examples, to further instil the importance of the Head of Household position, the HOH room is now located on the second floor. There is also an area on the second floor where HouseGuests can stand or sit and have an almost an entire view of the first floor. One thinks this would be a perfect area for the devious HouseGuests to plot or scheme their way to victory.

Scheming more details about the enigmatic 'Summer of Secrets' from the cagey Shapiro is not an easy task. He did however offer a few tid-bits. The new house itself may have secrets built into it that could be uncovered by the players or revealed to them by Big Brother as the series progresses. The HouseGuests themselves may also harbour personal secrets for one reason or another.

"There are secrets that will be revealed which will impact this cast in a different way than other casts have been impacted. The same could be said of the X Factor and last year's DNA theme," said Shapiro. "I think it is one of the very best casts we have ever had based on looking at them as an entire group of 14 and as distinct individuals and what they have going for themselves. It will be much clearer to you when they are in the house and the secrets start being revealed. It is very possible that the configuration of this cast may also lead to the uncovering of some secrets. You never know."

Yes, folks, you read correctly. While Big Brother will be starting the season with the largest number of HouseGuests yet - 14 - Shapiro did also reveal that the season will not be extended because of that fact.

While he may have been holding his cards closely to his chest when it comes to the 'Summer of Secrets' theme, Shapiro was very open about addressing the various Big Brother 6 rumours that have been circulating around the Internet ever since the sixth season was announced. The three most prevalent being that there will be a "moderator" in the house, there will be some "recognizable" HouseGuests which viewers have may have seen before and that this is very last season of the popular CBS summer-time reality show series.

"There is no 'moderator' and the only 'recognizable face' will be returning host Julie Chen," stated Shapiro putting two of the rumours to rest. While the America's Choice component is still being debated, Shapiro did confirm that there will be live 24/7 Internet feeds from the Big Brother house as there have been in previous seasons.

As far as Big Brother 6 being the final season, that is complete and utter nonsense too.

"That is absolutely untrue. As you know, we have a new Big Brother house in a new Big Brother compound. I don't think that CBS would have gone to all the expense of relocating us if they weren't in it for the long haul," he said.

The producers aren't bailing on the series any time soon either. Though the series is renewed by CBS one season at a time, both Shapiro and Grodner are enthusiastically committed to the series as long as CBS will have them. "There is no show on television to compare this to in terms of the experience. I have done live television before. I started in live television but that was one show a week...and it was a half hour. So, there is a big difference. I think that what keeps us coming back is we love doing the show and we love the challenge of thinking up new twists and new surprises each year," Shapiro said.

As the July 7th debut date on CBS quickly approaches, Shapiro feels the same excitement as he did when he and Grodner took over stewardship of the series after the first season. Having been saddled with the same house their predecessors used, it is a welcome change for the producers to be in a new setting although the demands on their time won't be any different for them or their staff of over 225 people.

"Neither of us has had a summer since when we started this. It is a seven-day-a-week job and this is the longest running reality show as in the number of days of production. This is close to 90 days and it is non-stop. It is essentially a live show. Many of the other reality shows are completed, taped and edited before they go on the air. They know who the winners are and it makes the editing easier. We are different. We are experiencing it along with the audience."

Recognized by many for his 1978 documentary 'Scared Straight!', Shapiro sees ironic parallels between his work on Big Brother and the prison environment he once chronicled on film.

"We (the producers and Big Brother staff) live the experience along with the HouseGuests. We are in a compound too. We are surrounded by walls and barbed wire fences. The HouseGuests may be locked in the house but we are locked in the compound. Nobody goes out for meals. We have a 24-hour-a-day kitchen. This is a strange analogy to use but when you're a prison guard, you go in the prison and you are locked inside too, except...you get to go home after your shift," said Shapiro.

Big Brother 6 debuts on Thursday, July 7th.

Also, some shots of the new house are here.

Last edited by JuryDuty; 06-28-05 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-28-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool about the new house. I hope, though, that this "summer of secrets" doesn't turn into another BB focused on "incredibly amazing, stependously mind-blowing, orgasm inducing TWISTS!!!" Hopefully they learned from the last two BBs that what we want are more varied and more interesting houseguests.
Old 06-28-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
"But first"
Old 06-28-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
Have we gotten a look at the new houseguests yet?
Old 06-28-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Boot
Cool about the new house. I hope, though, that this "summer of secrets" doesn't turn into another BB focused on "incredibly amazing, stependously mind-blowing, orgasm inducing TWISTS!!!" Hopefully they learned from the last two BBs that what we want are more varied and more interesting houseguests.
Amen. Even the cast member managed only a shrug over the mind-blowing twists. Use more steak, and let the sizzle take care of itself. Otherwise it will be another season of trying on the new cast, quickly dropping it out of abject boredom, and then trying to remember that the show is still running in time to tune in for the final to see who wins 12 weeks or whatever later.
Old 06-29-05, 08:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The houseguests have been announced on the CBS website. Oldest person is 36. And quite a few cuties.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/bigbrother6/
Old 06-29-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This sentence made me laugh:

"I think it is one of the very best casts we have ever had based on looking at them as an entire group of 14 and as distinct individuals and what they have going for themselves."
When I first read this, I thought it was refreshing they were admitting to only casting based on looks.

I am excited about the new house. I saw so much of that old house in past seasons, I am as sick of it as the people cooped up there.
Old 06-29-05, 11:30 AM

Last year was the first year I watched and I was hooked. I'm looking forward to this year. It makes summer viewing a lot more enjoyable.

Chris
Old 06-29-05, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by PeMo
The houseguests have been announced on the CBS website. Oldest person is 36. And quite a few cuties.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/bigbrother6/
Ivette is absolutely stunning, looking at her photo. Jennifer & Sarah are also cute. As you can tell I like brown eyes, brown hair!

Chris
Old 06-29-05, 11:45 AM

I'm sorry, but I just have to post her picture here!

Chris
Old 06-29-05, 12:06 PM

I think all of the females have potential to be good looking. Those mugshots can be deceiving sometimes. My early favorites:

Sarah:

Ashlea (Although she reminds me of Allison from BB4 - that might not be good.)

Janelle (Looks a little Holly-ish from last season - 'VIP' Cocktail Waitress? But she likes the Vikings )
Old 06-29-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like Token is the gay one this time:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/bigbrother6/_guests/_beau/
Old 06-29-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Boy, Kaysar sounds like an interesting dude:

Films: No favorite

TV shows: No favorite

Actors: No favorite

Actresses: Penelope Cruz

Bands: No favorite

Hobbies: No favorite

Sports to Play: Basketball

Sports Teams: No favorite

Outdoor Activities: No favorite

Music: No favorite

Cereals: Cinnamon Toast Crunch

Snacks: No favorite

Cookies: Mrs. Fields white chocolate macadamia nut

Candy Bars: 100 Grand

Alcoholic Drinks: No favorite

Non-Alcoholic: No favorite
Old 06-29-05, 01:17 PM

Yeah, a lot of personality there!

Yes and I agree about Token!

Chris
Old 06-29-05, 01:26 PM

According to tvguide.com, this is the big twist:

Spoiler:
The sixth edition of CBS' Big Brother, premiering July 7, will up the ante by offering the chance for a doubled grand prize. But to cop the total million, the winner will have to keep a lid on the show's new twist: that each player, from the moment they enter the house, is secretly in alliance with another. (And, stay with us here, each pair of partners thinks they are the only ones in cahoots.) If one of the twosomes makes it intact to the final round of voting, the winner gets a mil, and his/her buddy gets $250,000. "So it's in their best interest to keep [the alliance] a secret," executive producer Allison Grodner tells Variety. Blab, and the payoff is reduced to $500K/$50K.
Old 06-29-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
I'm sorry, but I just have to post her picture here!

Chris
Something about this picture makes me think of Fred Savage.
Old 06-29-05, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Something about this picture makes me think of Fred Savage.
Either you are thinking that this picture looks like his girlfriend Danica 'Winnie' McKellar from The Wonder Years

or you are calling me gay!

Chris
Old 06-29-05, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by davejt1
According to tvguide.com, this is the big twist:

Spoiler:
The sixth edition of CBS' Big Brother, premiering July 7, will up the ante by offering the chance for a doubled grand prize. But to cop the total million, the winner will have to keep a lid on the show's new twist: that each player, from the moment they enter the house, is secretly in alliance with another. (And, stay with us here, each pair of partners thinks they are the only ones in cahoots.) If one of the twosomes makes it intact to the final round of voting, the winner gets a mil, and his/her buddy gets $250,000. "So it's in their best interest to keep [the alliance] a secret," executive producer Allison Grodner tells Variety. Blab, and the payoff is reduced to $500K/$50K.
Must......... resist....... the........ temptation.

Although, since it's tvguide.com that's revealing it, I'm guessing it really isn't a spoiler. It's probably something we'll learn on the 1st show. Am I right?
Old 06-29-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Either you are thinking that this picture looks like his girlfriend Danica 'Winnie' McKellar from The Wonder Years

or you are calling me gay!

Chris
Neither. You haven't gotten the connection.
Old 06-29-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ashlea (Although she reminds me of Allison from BB4 - that might not be good.)
She looks like Celine Dion. Weird chin.
Old 06-29-05, 02:57 PM

Neither. You haven't gotten the connection.

Nice to mole you... meet you. Nice to meet you, Mole.
Old 06-29-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice to mole you... meet you. Nice to meet you, Mole.
Bingo!
Old 06-29-05, 03:34 PM

Bingo!
Oh okay, ha ha I get it.

Her mole is not that big. It certainly is not as big as Cindy Crawford, who might I add, still looks incredible for her age (40 or so). Believe me, a large mole in the wrong area of the face, is a deal breaker for me, but it looks nice on her face.

Chris
Old 06-29-05, 03:38 PM

Her mole is not that big. It certainly is not as big as Cindy Crawford, who might I add, still looks incredible for her age (40 or so). Believe me, a large mole in the wrong area of the face, is a deal breaker for me, but it looks nice on her face.
The size isn't an issue... the fact that she has seven of them immediately surrounding her mouth is a bit much.
Old 06-29-05, 03:44 PM

The size isn't an issue... the fact that she has seven of them immediately surrounding her mouth is a bit much.
But seven is my lucky number!

Chris

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.