Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Penn & Teller Bull****: "Hair" 6/20/05

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-20-05, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Showtime, 9:00pm CDT (repeated one hour later)
The business of hair is a billion dollar industry. People who don't have it, want it. People who have it in the wrong spots, want to get rid of it, or move it to other areas of their anatomy. Hair unites the genders. We're all obsessed with it. From the tops of our heads to the nooks and crannies down below, we'll get into every vain detail…and every sweaty crevice. Styling, waxing, shaving, cutting, extending, replacing…even one of the greatest magic tricks of all time - Johnny Thompson's comb-over technique! And that's no bullshit!
:yawn:

Next week: Gun Control.

Last edited by movielib; 06-20-05 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-20-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they must be running out of ideas
Old 06-20-05, 08:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Didn't they cover this on one of the 20/20 "Myths" shows?
Old 06-20-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
they must be running out of ideas
If you've seen the schedule for the rest of the season, it's going to improve significantly after tonight's show.

35. 3-9 27-Jun-2005 Gun Control
36. 3-10 04-Jul-2005 Signs From Heaven
37. 3-11 11-Jul-2005 Ghost Buster
38. 3-12 18-Jul-2005 Endangered Species
39. 3-13 25-Jul-2005 The Best
Old 06-20-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by movielib
If you've seen the schedule for the rest of the season, it's going to improve significantly after tonight's show.

35. 3-9 27-Jun-2005 Gun Control
36. 3-10 04-Jul-2005 Signs From Heaven
39. 3-13 25-Jul-2005 The Best
why do I feel like they did Gun Control already? Maybe some Michael Moore is sinking into my memory
Old 06-20-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I must say they put together a fairly entertaining show with very little to work with. I just can't say I could see all that much of a reason to do this show at all when there are so many more compelling topics.
Old 06-20-05, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the show was pretty funny this week. The toupee (excuse me, hair technology whatever) segment was great. The waxing was painful to watch. All in all, it wasn't such a bad show, and i liked having a lighter one to break things up some.
Old 06-20-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I must say they put together a fairly entertaining show with very little to work with. I just can't say I could see all that much of a reason to do this show at all when there are so many more compelling topics.
I agree. It was humorous, but seemed like a waste of an episode.

At least we got to see bush (and its subsequent removal).
Old 06-21-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

For a complete waste of time, it was at least amusing.

das
Old 06-21-05, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My most anticipated ep is the one on Endangered Species.

Isn't doing a show on Ghost Busters kind of pointless as more than most people think thats bullshit already?
Old 06-21-05, 10:16 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
You've got to admit that hearing that woman talk about "Winky" was worth the price of admission.
Old 06-21-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JasonF
You've got to admit that hearing that woman talk about "Winky" was worth the price of admission.
Not when it comes with a view of it. And I think it was "Winker".
Old 06-21-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

[QUOTE=boredsilly]My most anticipated ep is the one on Endangered Species.
[QUOTE]

Interesting since conservationists go to great lengths to get species classified and only those on the brink are actually federally classified. I wonder what P&T will pull out of their asses to argue against multimillion dollar studies done by our best universities and scientists in that field.

Sounds to me like it's going to be another swing against the nutty tree-huggers. Only tree-huggers aren't the big proponents of the endangered species act, conservation-biologists and their institutions are.
Old 06-21-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by boredsilly
My most anticipated ep is the one on Endangered Species.

Isn't doing a show on Ghost Busters kind of pointless as more than most people think thats bullshit already?
Endangered species should be good. I'm looking forward to that because it's a topic people generally agree on. One of my favorites was recycling, because I felt I actually learned something.
Old 06-21-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting since conservationists go to great lengths to get species classified and only those on the brink are actually federally classified. I wonder what P&T will pull out of their asses to argue against multimillion dollar studies done by our best universities and scientists in that field.

Sounds to me like it's going to be another swing against the nutty tree-huggers. Only tree-huggers aren't the big proponents of the endangered species act, conservation-biologists and their institutions are.
A tad defensive?
Old 06-21-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I think the girl that did the waxing also did the anal bleaching on an episode of Dr 90210. I was amazed at the price of the hair system.
Old 06-21-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
And then there's this asshole.

Well that episode was interesting. A typical "enjoy the way you look" episode. But I watched and enjoyed it.
Old 06-21-05, 02:38 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mmconhea

Let's watch it before we start accusing P&T of anything.

This (endangered species) is an especially touchy subject for me...I live and farm in WI (I'm guessing I'm the only farmer on DVDTalk ? Actually I'm just helping my dad run the farm until I finish college), where wolves are starting to cause a lot of problems. I won't argue that the Endangered Species Act is good in theory, and I also won't pretend to know more than I do on the subject. But I do know this - if a wolf in WI kills livestock (say, in my case, a beef cow that's worth ~$800 on the market TODAY), that $800 is what you get as compensation. However, YOU have to pay a vet to prove it was a wolf that killed the animal. This will cost a couple hundred $, at least. It also doesn't take into consideration all of the future offspring of the cow. A good cow will have up to 10 calves in it's life worth $1,000-1,400. So at least for wolves, I disagree with a lot of what the program does.

And unrelated to endangered species, but you mention "multimillion dollar studies done by our best universities and scientists in that field." Well, UW-Madison is, from what I understand, one of the top research schools in the country. On one of their research farms this past winter, they "forgot" to feed a group of cows for a month, err, fed them crap, to be exact. This led to the death of 10 cows with unborn calves. http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/loca...php?ntid=44259

So here we have these researchers telling farmers with 30+ years of hands-on experience how to care for their livestock and what to do to improve the quality of their heard...but they can't even feed the damned things and keep them alive?!? OK, that's the end of my rant, sorry for wasting your time .
Old 06-21-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mmconhea

I'm sure the whole show is not going to be about the Endangered Species Act as you seem to think.

I think what we are going to see is an attack on those who claim we are losing 100, 300, 1000 (fill in your own number) of species a day. These claims are absolutely unsupported and absurd and deserve to be torn to shreds.

Another thing I expect to see is how many "endangered species" are not really endangered or that they are subspecies (meaning, even in the unlikely event they were wiped out, it would not be the end of the species - like the subspecies of spotted owl we have heard so much about).

As far as the Endangered Species Act, I suspect we'll hear about how sometimes it's taken too far.
Old 06-22-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think what we are going to see is an attack on those who claim we are losing 100, 300, 1000 (fill in your own number) of species a day. These claims are absolutely unsupported and absurd and deserve to be torn to shreds.
I don't know about that in particular, but I do believe that there are many species which go into extinction on a regular basis. The problem with numbers is that the vast majority of species are undiscovered. One argument that hurts conservationists is that many of these species die from natural causes; human involvement doesn't always have everything to do with it. Although, there are certainly instances where we have destroyed entire species.

Last edited by Alyoshka; 06-22-05 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-22-05, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sure the whole show is not going to be about the Endangered Species Act as you seem to think.

Another thing I expect to see is how many "endangered species" are not really endangered or that they are subspecies (meaning, even in the unlikely event they were wiped out, it would not be the end of the species - like the subspecies of spotted owl we have heard so much about).

As far as the Endangered Species Act, I suspect we'll hear about how sometimes it's taken too far.
If you're right, this might be "Hannity's" new favorite show.
Old 06-22-05, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just hope we can make it through the rest of the season with no more Candid Camera foolishness. "Look, Joe Beerbelly makes a lousy security officer! Oh wow - Jane Needsajob didn't make fun of her interviewer's hair! And that one guy looks like Hitler!!! "

das
Old 06-23-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
It was a fluff show, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I especially enjoyed the hair stylist guy who said P&T would make fun of it, and then they couldn't because he was so "cool." Not one talk of the merkin, though. That surprised me.

Originally Posted by Alyoshka
I don't know about that in particular, but I do believe that there are many species which go into extinction on a regular basis.
And have long before humans got on the scene.
Old 06-23-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
I enjoyed this episode more than any other this season (which, sadly, isn't saying much). It was low on info. Above average on tainment. I give it a
Old 06-23-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
That was pretty funny, for a light topic. I was when Hitler made an appearance. The chick getting the Brazilian should have opted for a Hitler too.